3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt 2013!! TOTAL MONEY RAISED $4300!!! Details page 16  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry for the delay guys...just getting back to "normal" around here.

We arrived at Shawn's in the late afternoon, and were greeted by Shawn. Always good to be around one of my "brothers from another mother"!  Even though Cindy wasn't there, she'd left a wonderful venison stew for us to eat...yum!

After dinner we went to Wal-mart for a couple things, then spent the rest of the evening visiting and watching tv. Around 9:00 or so our good, good buddy Big Ed showed up. They don't come any better than Ed, and he's become a very special friend to Me and Cade. It was great to see him again.

After a restless nights sleep full of anticipation, it was morning and guys started showing up.

Always a crown favorite, "mcgroundstalker"...
•  

This is just the start of the raffle table...
•  

Heading out for the first push...
•  

Emilio, Gil, and Shawn...less than an hour into the hunt!
•  

The troops...
•  

The Horse Pasture push was crazy!  It's the push you've heard about earlier...Cade thinks he shot and emptied his quiver at least twice and retrieved a couple more and shot them. I had 4 close calls on that push as well at flat out bunnies, but never cut a hair.  Pete "mamba" did much better nailing 2 while pushing!
•  

The gauntlet..
•  

Cade on a familiar perch along the hedgerow...
•  

more to come...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who does the pink thingy on the right hand side if the table with the tassels on it belong to?    :saywhat:
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
I would also like to thank Terry Green and the Moderators for creating and maintaining TradGang, If It weren't for this site I would not have been able to have meet the many members at this Bunny Hunt and many other gatherings and shoots.Many life long friends have been created and a true brotherhood has been formed.
Thank You All
   :thumbsup:
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Next year I will be there for both days.

I am going to have my wife rolling discs in the field on the farm for practice shooting at rabbits. I first have to convince her I won't be shooting at her though. Next year there will be lots of Hasenpfeffer at Shawn's place. MMM MMM good.

I might wind up giving Peter a run for his money. That man can shoot rabbits!

I am not sure what I am looking forward to more, the rabbit hunting or Shawn's wife's chilli!

I am also bringing my 60" Bear recurve, because a 68" Hill longbow is not conducive to pushing through some of that thick stuff.

What a blast.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
The pink thingy is a yearly raffle prize, the winner must bring it back to the next years hunt. My daughter Allison won it this year and was a great help in setting up the food and helping run the raffle!! Thanks baby!! The hunt has and will be the 3rd. weekend in Feb. every year. It had gotten very big, we had 100 plus attend one year and to think we started out with 17 people the first year!! I will post the details at midnight Jan. 1st. 2014, we will run it like old times and have a fun shoot in the yard and a kids hunt starting at 10am. the first day. Keep an eye out for that thread, it will be a blast. Our record total is 6000 dollars and I would like to break that total next year!! As Gil was saying above, ya have to shoot and not really worry about a quality shot, take what ya get and hope and pray ya make contact. The horse pasture push is not really the pasture itself but a thick spot behind it and involves some cut paths and a neighbors garden plus some really great rabbitat!! I believe at least 12 bunnies were taken in there this year. I know Curt has some more pics. to post and there should be a few more stories to be told as well. This was a great group of guys and I am still pickin wildrose thorns out of my thighs and my arms and hands. A heavy pair of brush pants with double cordura and flannel lined really help and a small pair of hand shears come in handy to cut your way through some of the worst patches, plus leather gloves. I am gonna have a get together this year in August to improve the rabbitat by cutting and piling some fresh brush, as we really don't have many bunnies where we hunt!!   :rolleyes:      :bigsmyl:   OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I second what Curt Said about BIG ED.  He is truly one of Trad Gang's best.  

Sorry I missed Shawn, looking forward to next year but first looking forward to the rest of the stories and pictures.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Agreed, ED is one of the best!! He stayed a bit late on Sunday even though he was wanted at home by his daughter and got stuck going thru the top part of BriarBack Mountain. It is the nastiest piece we push. I met him out in the pasture afterwards and he was lying on his back and bleeding from about ten spots, yet had a big smile on his face and not complaining. I saw 4 on that push but it was so thick they disappeared in a mass of wildrose!! He works hard and gets plenty of shots on these hunts, hopefully he is ready for some more next year!! OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline kwc

• Trad Bowhunter
first of all a big thanks to shawn and cindy for opening up thier home to all of us once again for the good of the kids. if you never been to the bunnie hunt you dont know what your missing. the  action can be fast and furious weather it be from  the screams of bunni through the woods, or the call of man down from one of the pushers getting caugh up in the briars. a big thanks to all the guys that chose to do the pushing, without them we would probley see a fraction of the rabbits that we see. as shawn says you half to step on everything youll be suprised what a rabbit will hide in or how tight it will sit until you almost step on it. it was great to be next to gil when he got his rabbit, and to see jamie drop his bow and jump on the rabbit so it wouldn't get away although gil had made a great shot and it realy wasnt going to far. the food was great and the company was even better thanks again shawn for all you do for al of us to make this hunt so special, Bunniiiiiiiiiiiiiie, oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Offline homer

• Trad Bowhunter
Big Ed you R #1 in my book !!!!!!   :notworthy:    :clapper:
Work is for people who don't know how to hunt.  People who don't know how to hunt, don't eat well.

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
I would like to start with thanking Cindy Shawn and the girls for having us in their home, and being such gracious hosts.  They are really good people, a great example to the youngsters.  the bunny hunt is one of 2 trips I make every year with my 10 year old nephew Peter and we both really look forward to it.  The other being the Muzzy.  He started the first year by walking next to me, then I would push and ask Curt or someone to watch him while I pushed, now at a ripe old age of 10 he knows what to do.  I don't have to ask for help anymore, whoever is with the standers keeps an eye on him and they end up having a blast.  I appreciate it.  Over the whole weekend not one harsh word is said to another(seriously) so these kids get to see what real men should act like.  Good to each other, having good clean fun and the bonus is we are helping St Judes.  In fact this year Peter asked just what St Judes is.  I explained it to him, so I think it is having more meaning than running around chasing rabbits now.  If any of you notice Peter has a JT patch on his quiver.  That is in rememberance of a very close Friend James who died from brain cancer days before his 18th birthday.  Some of you may remember James at the Muzzy.  Sean great pics, it was nice meeting you, Bretto, and Gil this year.  Yes there where tons of rabbits, I had atleast 10 makeable shots, but I don't go for the bunnies I like the comraderie.  The bunnys are just a bonus.  Ed your #2 sorry buddy, Cindy is #1.  Hopefully we all get together again at the Muzzy or something before next February.  

Pete
peter Osimanti

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
I agree Peter... Us getting together only twice a year, for The Bunny Hunt and Muzzy, seems, well, kinda sad... Such a great bunch of people! Gonna miss you all...  :(  ...

Maybe we can do something together this summer, before Muzzy...

... mike ...  :archer2:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I copied that picture of me, Emilio and Shawn. That is one I am going to have to hang in the man cave as a memorable good day.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
I am always up for a get together, I will set something up for this spring!! Gil, that is a great pic. lots of memories made on these hunts. I would think Curt may have a few more pics. OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pete & Mike, you guys are right. Although I've never been to the muzzy, Ive hunted Shawns place 3 times.  I don't get out and do the "social" archery stuff as I'd like to, and I really feel like I'm missing out.  I've met a great bunch of guys every time I've gone!! I'm definitely in for next year.  Its great to see the kids out there.  

Curt, I know how proud you are of Cade.  You're doing a great job, because he's a fine young man and a heck of a shot.  One thing that stands out is you and Cade shooting at the vole or shrew, what ever it was....I think Cade hit it in the hind leg and slowed it down for you.    :thumbsup:    

Pete, Peter's also a great kid.  I was standing next to him on the first watch. He was letting arrows fly!!  it was awesome to say the least.  I tied up his vest for him so it'd be out of his way.

Its also a great time to talk to guys like Terry Receveur, the guys been there and done that.  Hes always a pleasure to talk to.

Big Ed, you're OK too!!

Anyway, If you guys reading this are kicking around coming next year, do it, its well worth it.  Shawn and Cindy bust their @$$'$ putting these things together!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great job for the kids Guys!!!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
That is truly number 1 , the kids !!!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sorry I couldn't make it this year Shawn. The snowstorm the week before kind of messed up some plans. I am glad I made it to the warm up hunt. It sure would have been nice to see everyone. I am sure I will see you before that. Maybe we can do some bowfishing with Guru 1 and 2.

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
Glen,
  Beautiful self bow you handcrafted and donated, very, very generous of you.
peter Osimanti

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
A very familiar sight for a "real" bunny hunter on a push that's doing his "job"...Big Ed...
•  

"Ishiwannabe" and "Meathead"....check out the look on Jamies face....there's a good story about this one that I'll let them tell...
•  

This is what it looks like when a bunny or 2 comes by a few guys...
•  

End of day one...
•  
•  

Sunday morning...Cade eating...AGAIN!!
•  

Sunday was brutal cold and bad windy!!!
•  

"Mamba"...wearing his ghillie...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06