3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black glass limbs  (Read 1333 times)

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
Black glass limbs
« on: February 08, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
I have heard it said that limbs of black glass are faster than clear. Wondered if there is anything to that.Gonna order a new set of limbs for my Schafer and wondered if there is anything to this. Thanks,Gary.  :dunno:

Online modr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black glass limbs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Gary, just had a set of black glass limbs made for my Schafer,I can't tell any difference speed wise ,compared to my other schafers of simular weight. Very happy with the black glass limbs.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
Black glass supposedly yields a fps or two more speed.  Insignificant.  Small variations in other components, even the amount of sanding on the limbs to bring them to weight can have a greater effect.  That being said, I like black.  With a satin finish, no need to camo the limbs.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
No clouds, no streaks that you don't need.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I had a set made for my Tip and I'm very pleased with the black glass. Mine have wedges that match my riser, Dave did a nice job. I had a post about black glass limbs about a year ago when I had mine made, maybe you can do a search and check it out!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
When building these things the colored glass, both black and brown always come in a wee bit heavier. So for two identical bows using clear as a comparison, the colored glass is a bit quicker if you keep the same glass to core ratio....

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
Kirk; How does S glass compare to other Clear or Coloured glass?

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. I think I will go with the black glass,love my Schafer!Thanks again,Gary.  :thumbsup:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
When building these things the colored glass, both black and brown always come in a wee bit heavier. So for two identical bows using clear as a comparison, the colored glass is a bit quicker if you keep the same glass to core ratio....
Forgive my pea brain when it comes to bow building but notwithstanding the thicker colored glass, if you wind up with the same poundage out of a pair of colored glass limbs and clear glass limbs wouldn't they shoot the same fps?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
From what I have read ,you can build 2 bow exactly the same specs and one will be a better performer than the other......don't ask me why.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Kirk can correct me if I am wrong. I believe he said the coloured glass was quicker than the clear with the limb thickness being the same and i assume that there had to be a slight difference in the Bow weights for the 2 , with the coloured glass being heavier in draw weight!??
        Jack howard always said that his limbs glued up with urac glue were heavier in draw weight than the same limbs glued up with smooth on glue and using the same stack measurements. The real difference was in the thickness of the glue lines between the 2 bows. If you look at older Bows built with urac glue you can see how much thicker the lines are, hence a thicker limb which equates to a higher draw weight.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by SERGIO VENNERI:
Kirk; How does S glass compare to other Clear or Coloured glass?
S glass is a different animal all together. i haven't played with it enough to give you an honest answer to your question....

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:

Originally posted by Kirkll:
Forgive my pea brain when it comes to bow building but notwithstanding the thicker colored glass, if you wind up with the same poundage out of a pair of colored glass limbs and clear glass limbs wouldn't they shoot the same fps? [/b]
Nope.... there is a difference in the mass weight of the limb using .037 colored glass that has the same deflection as .040 clear glass.....  but these differences are small.... you can see significant differences just using different wedge material,  or even different core materials too.... lots of factors effect these limbs...

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Thanks for your honesty kirk. i expected nothing less.  :thumbsup:

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I don't like black glass at all for the looks... I also don't believe in a difference of speed... There might be a difference, but I think we are talking like 2 fps here..
Put that against hand-made custom bows... I really think it is a non-issue in regards of speed.

Correct me if I am wrong.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
In a year long dialogue with Kirk, I can tell you that he tests EVERY thing... and shared the same data with me on my bow-build.

In the end, the reality of 2fps or so, I opted to have the pretty veneers I wanted and the clear glass to see them.

Kirk is wise enough to just thin them both down to the point where they didn't interfere with the performance...and what he said about "wedges" is ever so "spot on".

My 47# sassy lady, spits an arrow... R/D with XX carbon / Foam core... plus veneers and clear glass.

As with incontinence issues "it Depends"
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Could it be that Kirk is the "Obi-Wan Kenobi" of all bows???
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Flying Dutchman:
I don't like black glass at all for the looks...
I agree with you 100 percent on the looks this came up before and my remark was "Black Glass Has No Class" and I realy got hammered just like this horse.  :bigsmyl:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 02:21:00 AM »
That's a funny one.... My very first bow had black glass limbs though....
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 07:10:00 AM »
i've heard from more than a few good bowyers than colored glass is just a better quality than clear, and clear can have its issues with streaks and dull spots, etc.  

i think a classic howard hill afl or mild r/d longbow with black glass and a darkish coco riser is pretty thing, indeed.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©