3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me decide on a new 2 pc. Tolke Whip or Centaur  (Read 797 times)

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help me decide on a new 2 pc. Tolke Whip or Centaur
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
I want a 2pc Longbow for Hunting. I have never shot a Tolke Whip. I loved my Centaur but it seemed a little light in the hand to me so I sold it.. I had an ACS 2 pc that I really liked all but the grip was too big. I am thinking a Dark Matter centaur or a Tolke Whip. Has anyone owned both and can give me some advise.

Thanks, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me decide on a new 2 pc. Tolke Whip or Centaur
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
I have not owned the Centaur. All I know is that the Toelke has top notch performance and looks better than just about anything else out there (at least in my opinion).
I don't think you can go wrong with either bow but I do think the Toelke will end up being lighter than the Centaur.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
I own and shoot a Centaur. My buddy purchased a Toelke and it is lighter than my Centaur. Both shoot excellent. Both do well with the added weight of a bow quiver, in my opinion.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
No experience with a Toelke. I received my Centaur Dark Matter T/D about 2 months ago. It's everything I was hoping for and more. The only other Centaur I had shot was quite light in weight. Jim Neaves is really onto something with the Dark Matter   :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline Fowl intentions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
Toelke Whip. His two piece design came from a Salomon ski engineer. Bomber construction. I shot one of his but went with the H.S whip. Really great guy to deal with. Dan and his eldest son run the business so I enjoy giving him my support.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with either.  Having said that, I like the lighter weight of the Toelke (Whip Classic), BUT WHAT I REALLY LOVE IS THE FAST DELIVERY!!!!!

Order a Toelke and in 4-6 weeks max, you will be slinging arrows.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Thanks Guys . keep the opinions coming. I do have a fellow Trad Gang Member that has offered a Spot on the Centaur List coming up .
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline hunthold

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
i own both. if you loved your centaur, then i suggest you get another one in dark matter. my 58" dark matter with a low grip weighs 26.2 oz with all the weight in your hand, light limbs because of the carbon. superb bow..

my whip is 64" all phenolic riser and comes in about 23oz. add a bowbolt, and it would probably be 25-26 oz. this bow is glass limbs and all that dan offers.

in my opinion the whip is quieter, probably due to the bamboo core, but i like the way the centaur draws better.

honestly both are nice bows and you will probably have to try a whip to decide for youself, but for me the centaur in dark matter wins over the whip..

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
I've owned both, a Centaur carbon elite and a 62" Whip (not a HS).  Both very fine bows and wouldn't mind owning another Centaur, but if I had to choose I'd take the Whip every time.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
I know it's not what you are asking, but the sleeve type two piece as on Big Jim's is a much cleaner design IMHO compared to the others, although they work flawlessly.Just a preference thing.I agree you can't go wrong with either of your choices of fine craftmanship.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
I had a Big Jim 2 Pc . I do not remember why I sold it. I had a ACS with the sleeve connection. Very nice connection but the grip was too big for me. Keep the opinions coming. Seems about 50/50.

Thanks, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
If you have the skills I think you can get a Toelke without finish...save some cash
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Nobody can make this decision but you--because I may absolutely love a particular bow does not mean it will be to your liking at all. Others' opinions are just that--what they like.  Basically you have to just take your chances is how I see it after messing with these bows for waaaaay more years than I like to admit.  :saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
I have had and traded alot of Bows myself. This thread was asking anyone who had owned and shot both to give me their opinion or advise. As i stated I have owned a couple Centaurs. Great shooting bows. I have not owned a Whip. Just looking to gain some opinions from Fellow Trad Gang Members who have owned both.

Thanks guys, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Have owned both and have high regards for both.  If this helps, Dan will only build a 2 piece by using phenolic in the riser which adds a bit more weight.  Toelke wait time puts Jim's to shame, but I like and shoot both favorably.  If I were to order from Dan right now it would be a Whip Classic 2 piece with leather grip...

Just me though.
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Why not look for both on the calssifieds.  Run a comparison and sell the one you like the least.  I know that requires a greater financial commitment, but in the long run you will end up with the bow that works best for you, your hand and style.  Maybe each bowyer has loaner they would let you try.  Worth asking.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline chris K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
I had a similar problem. When I bought my first longbow I first was going to get a centaur but for some reason nobody answered the phone when I called then I called Dan and his wife answered the phone and gave Dan the phone. I told him that I talked with him about a bow a month earlier and wanted to talk to him again about building me a bow. He said not to worry, I already have it made. Confused for a second I said what? He said yeah, I knew you were going to call me back. I told him about me first calling someone else first and he laughed.  I hear Jim is a good guy also though I have never talked to him before. Dan on the other hand, I have talked to him several times(more than he wishes,hahaha) and I have had several bows from him. I still have that whip,thanks to a fellow member which I am forever thankful to. Currently I have the whip and a Super D. If you talk to Dan tell him Chris Kiefner said hi.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
I have an add in the classified looking for either or both.The 2 PC do not show up very often especially the Centaur. I found a Whip that is a couple pounds lighter than I wanted. I may try it out and if it is what I want order one a little heavier.
Thanks for the advise, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Randy,I still have your old centaur. I am waiting for my turn to order a two-piece. I've shot the Toelke. I would say get the Centaur, especially if you can cut down the wait time.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Both really great guys building really great bows. That said I would get the Centaur two piece phenolic riser bow; It fits what you are saying you like and everyone I have talked to says great things about his two piece design.
God bless and good luck. Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©