3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood shafts vs aluminum shafts  (Read 486 times)

Offline hoebow

• Trad Bowhunter
wood shafts vs aluminum shafts
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
I have shot aluminum arrows all of my adult life, I am thinking of trying wood shafts. what are some of the pro's and con's. Thanks
ABR

Offline pjsnell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood shafts vs aluminum shafts
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Hi.

I shoot aluminum, wood and carbons, depending on my mood.  

As far as wood shafts go,

Pros:
- fun to make arrows with
- cheap (depending on material used i.e. HD, Lowes dowels, hardwood shoots, spliting/turning your own)
- the feeling you get when shooting the arrows you made
Cons:
- they break easiest
- it can be difficult to put a matched set of shafts together
- buying a matched set of shafts or arrows can get expensive
- some types of wood are harder to keep straight
- making arrows takes up more of your time than shooting them

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
I've shot a lot of aluminum and a whole lot of wood.  As long as you don't hit something hard or set something on them aluminum shafts will be straight.

With wood you have to make sure that you seal them well after you straighten them.  They will be affected by humidity changes (which varys greatly around here) unless sealed good and need to be checked for straightness when you get ready to shoot.  As for sealing, I have a couple of shafts that laid under the grass all winter and I found them the next spring while mowing the lawn.  They were still straight and I refletched and used them.

Yes it can be difficult to put together a matched set of finished arrows.  Every step in making a set will change the weight.  Sealing, trimming, cresting, etc all have a slightly different affect on each shaft because of density and absorption rates.

Being more expensive is really not the case.  I sell matched bare shafts for less than a lot of aluminums sell for.  I am not near as upset over losing a Poplar or Pine arrow as I am then I lose an aluminum one.

Making arrows takes some time but the satisfaction I get is my reward.  I can make them really pretty or really ugly and they all do the same job.

Dennis

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
I have all kinds but the woodies are my favorite. They do not get nearly as cold as aluminum and carbons during the cold weather. They are quieter IMO than the others. They re natural and I love wood.   :D

Aluminums are easier relocate for me if lost in the grass because I can use a metal detector to find them quickly.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 03:30:00 PM »
If you are thinking about "pro's and con's" you should stick with aluminum-much more practical. There is such a shortage of quality wood these days we can't stand any more folks falling in love with shooting woodies!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 03:59:00 PM »
I like both aluminum and wood (softwoods).  I've not had too much trouble getting good wood shafts.  You do have to work with them, but there are distributors who will cull them nicely for you.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Seems like wood is actualy getting cheaper then aluminum. I just bought 12 Legacys, feathers, wraps, and nocks for about $85. Now I have to do all the work of putting them together. I can get a decent set of woods all dipped crested, fletched, etc for about the same price.

I also swear that some bows (like my HH Croc)really do have personalities and will only shoot a particular material well, and when that happens, it's usually wood.

Offline rustyspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
Been shoting both wood and Aluminum. Wood is a little quiter. But this year I made a descion to hunt with Aluminum for the ease of changing points or broad heads. They are also earier to replace feathers on.

I am using Game Getter II's in both 1916 and 2016
depending which bow I am using. With Magnus Snuffer SS in 125grain and B5 2 blade 145grain. Both screw on.

Rich K

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:11:00 PM »
I told my friend he  should remove his arrow because it was masking the 12 ring. He said don't worry about it. Wood and steel are pretty strong.  :)  Jawge

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »
Rustyspike hit it on the head for me. I use 2016's for target and sall game. I think I will use wood for deer/bear because there is a noticeable difference in the noise factor between the two arrows. Not only that, but wood arrows are a tad bit heavier(before weights and such with the aluminum), and heavier = better penetration.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
I like wood for their simplistic beauty-the beautiful grain of the wood, the cresting and cap, and the wonderful smell of cedar.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
What better way to spend the off-season than making your own arrows?  Yes, aluminum is going to be more consistant, straigter, etc....BUT; nothing like taking your game  with an arrow YOU made yourself.  It really does add a lot to the entire experience...
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline hoebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice i will think on it
Hoebow
ABR

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
LoL@ Jawge! I bet your friend pulls his arrow next time.    :notworthy:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 08:59:00 AM »
He may not but he'll get a little jittery when i tell him too, BBB. Of course, I'll remind him. :)  Jawge

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 11:05:00 AM »
I make Woodies just because I Like To Make Them! There is Some Self Satisfaction Flinging them and they Hit where You Wanted too!! I have some 2018 Legacys that Usually Stay Home when I go Stumpin' or just Kickin' It around the Woods.
  I have been Known to Use the Legacys for Target, Paper, Practice for InDoor. Dont know Exactly WHY though. I have Confidence in the Field with the Woodies. "The World May Never Know"  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©