3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best foam target???? need help  (Read 484 times)

Offline no nothing

• Trad Bowhunter
Best foam target???? need help
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
I got a Redhead layered foam target two months ago . I have been shooting a lot in the pass couple of months. Wore it out! Arrows are passing through it.  I am not using broadheads, just field points.  I need to find the best foam target that with LAST! I don't mind paying more as long as it is worth it.

Also wore out a $160 hog target from bass pro in a few months. I don't want to be fixing the targets with expansion foam all the time. Suggestions on Foam targets please
Mad Dog      60" #35@28"
Mad Dog      64" #50@28
Tomahawk     64" #55@28

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best foam target???? need help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
if you shoot alot at just one target, they ALL will wear out.....if you don't mind spending the money , get a couple of R & W targets out of NC.....seem to hold up the best at our club.....also the HT series of Delta/McKenzie is tough......for just plan old shooting, a bail built and stuffed with sheet plastic is hard to beat.....jmho
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Rhinehart's are pretty expensive, but you shouldn't have to buy many of them.  They last.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Medic85:
Rhinehart's are pretty expensive, but you shouldn't have to buy many of them.  They last.
X2
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Foam doesn’t last if you pound it like I have in the past. The best ever foam target I have had was the big layered Block. Most shots go between the layers as long as you lay off with the broadheads. Once you start slicing up the layers, I find the pieces start to get packed up in wads and the target life starts to shorten.  Most ranges I have been at in the last 10 years are using the range size block type target.  The nice thing about then is that they can stay outside a lot and arrow removal is relatively easy.

Next best foam target was the Rhinehart 18 in 1. I can shot one of those up in about 4 months if that is all I shoot.  That was at a rate of about 700+ arrows a week.

Burlap bags last a long time.  Use up one, and stuff the contents and old bag in the next bag.  I get the big coffee bags for about $1. I think I shot out about 9 last year.  After a while you will have two bag targets and so on.  I now have three.  Last year was the cheapest target year in a long time for me.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline no nothing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
I like foam because it is EZ to remove the arrows and I can leave it outside. Keep them coming thanks.
Mad Dog      60" #35@28"
Mad Dog      64" #50@28
Tomahawk     64" #55@28

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Spend the money and buy a Rhinehart.  I have wasted a lot of money on other targets and they just don't hold up.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Medic85:
yep, they are worth the extra $
Steve.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
I've been shooting the same layered foam Field Logic (made for NASP) for three years on my basement range and I shoot a LOT!  This target is sort of expensive at about $150.

I occassionally shoot broadheads for tuning but 99.5% of the time only field points. By the way, I was using a similar block since 2002 outdoors but finally ultraviolet rays disintegrated it and the bands rusted away although I replaced them once.

I've attached a picture with a Wapiti I owned for a few months, it was last spring as I was getting ready for turkey season as you can see. Lot of good it did me to get ready, I missed the entire season.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Another plug for Rhinehart.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »
And yet another satisfied Rinehart user here!
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
I agree with the Rinehart folks for outdoor 3-D critter simulation.  I like the Block Glendale for my indoor range.

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
I love my BLOB!
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline pukwana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I love my Rhinehart targets, they take one heck of a beating!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Rhinehart 18 sided target.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Was that red head a fused layered target?  I don't know if they hold up as well as the old non-fused ones.  My dad got some off brand one that was only about 8” thick and we shoot that out fairly quick.  

My old block was an original block 24x24 with steel bands. I have been looking at the newer classic block, but they have mixed reviews so not sure if they are not using the same materials, not strapping them as tight or what.  I got mine after seeing is in the back pages of a field and stream.  No one anywhere around here even knew what they were back then.  I finally completely scraped it three years ago after restacking it a couple time and replacing the wood after it rotted out.  Don’t know how many years that was, but it was a long time.

I just wish someone would start carrying the blob around here.  Too much to ship just one from out of state.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline no nothing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Don't know if was fused or not. Just know it did not last.  Looking at the rinehart, maybe the razorback
Mad Dog      60" #35@28"
Mad Dog      64" #50@28
Tomahawk     64" #55@28

Offline Bible5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Just a tip.....make friends with a your local schools gym teacher...old gymnastic mats make great targets. and backstops. I put a piece inside a small feed bag for a target. I've had the same piece bolted to mybackyard fence. for 8 years and it hasn't. deteriorated!
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness" Psalm 45:6

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Rhinehart makes these targets and they are outstanding.... about $100

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Kirk is correct to say they are outstanding cause I also have that exact 18-1 rinehart and I'm working on my 4th year I think?
 Rinehart has a tag on it that states'wear it out in a year they will replace it" Free!
 Best material I found yet in a target like that...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©