3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Min. draw weight for 3 blade head for deer/hogs?  (Read 348 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Min. draw weight for 3 blade head for deer/hogs?
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
What is everyone's thoughts on the min. holding weight you need to be shooting to use a 3 blade head like VPA or WW for deer/hogs?

Reading a bunch of previous posts, it seems there are a lot of people who recommend not going to 3 blade until your effective draw weight is about 60 lbs.

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Min. draw weight for 3 blade head for deer/hogs?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Really? I would thing that 45# would be plenty... I guess you should check what is the minimum draw weight in your state for these animals? I would think that a 45# bow, with well tuned, well placed arrow, tipped with a razor sharp BH of your choice would do the trick. Even a lighter draw weight would do the trick to!

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
I have no problem shooting through mid-western deer with a WW out of a 53 lb. recurve.  I would not be afraid to shoot anything in N. America with this set up.  I use a carbon shaft & use a steel adapter in the broadhead.  Arrows weigh around 530 grains.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
I've shot vpa's, woodsman and snuffer broadheads through a lot of critters with weights between 49 and 60 pounds. Some big bodied pigs and deer too. The VPA is by far my favorite head, by far

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by David Yukon:
Really? I would thing that 45# would be plenty... I guess you should check what is the minimum draw weight in your state for these animals? I would think that a 45# bow, with well tuned, well placed arrow, tipped with a razor sharp BH of your choice would do the trick. Even a lighter draw weight would do the trick to!
+1

Years ago a custom bowyer told me that he had a lady customer that had killed 6 elk with a 40lbd'er. I wouldn't go that light for elk, but it's nice to know that I could if I had to.

Offline Tucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
I shot a 180# whitetail buck broadside through the chest, from 20yds with a 40#@27" r/d longbow, 29" Sitka Spruce shaft (light!), and a regular glue on Wensel Woodsman. The shot centered one rib breaking it in half, the broadhead was sticking about a foot out the other side. 30yard dash and crash.  

Your "mileage" may vary....

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »
IMO deer and hogs are completely different targets. If you want to shoot 45-50# shoot a 3 blade for deer and a good 2 blade at the hogs. I would not use a 3 blade on hogs regardless of bow weight, others will have differing opinions.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
Bjorn, I know you have a lot of experience with hogs so I wonder if you could elaborate on your reasoning?

Offline RedStag5728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:34:00 AM »
I believe shot placement is more vital than the actual peak bow weight. Afterall, I've heard of kids killing deer with 35# bows. So long as you don't put that arrow IN the shoulder, you will get enough penetration to bring it down. You don't necessarily have to get a full passthrough to bring them down, having the broadhead remain in the cavity is much more damaging while the animal is running.

Hogs have tougher hides than deer so I would agree with Bjorn about going with a 2 blader, you will have less friction of the head going through the body as opposed to 3 blades. With deer, you can kill them with a sharpened stick if you gotta!    :archer:    :biglaugh:
Randy
CTA RedStag LB 64" ntn 57# @ 28"
Hickory SB (#2) 64" ntn 43# @ 28"
Hickory East Woodland SB 65# @ 27"
Darkside Laminated LB 50# @ 28"
Darkside Laminated LB 37# @ 28"

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
I have used mostly 2 blades for hogs but have had good results since switching to Woodsmans.
I shoot between 48 and 50#.More blood on the ground is everything to me with hogs.(We track quite a few, in some nasty places)
Deer are lighter skinned and less heavily boned. I carry Snuffers for them(not that I ever shoot one,though).

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
Having said that, I carry one arrow with a scary sharp Magnus 2 blade (in case a truly big hog comes in).

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
I've never hunted hogs, but the last 3 bucks I've shot with a 45# @ 28" recurve bow, 35/55 GT arrows with 50grain insert, four 4" feathers, and a Wensel Woodsman for a total of 480 grains. All three where pass thru to the fletching and dropped within 40 yards.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
woodsman was created for lighter weight bows.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Have not used the Vpa's, however, have taken several hogs with Woodsman Elites and trad bows in the low 40s weight range. One was 370 pounds and got a complete pass through. I do pull 30 inches however.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
lv2hunt wrote:
Bjorn, I know you have a lot of experience with hogs so I wonder if you could elaborate on your reasoning?

I have not gotten very good penetration on hogs with 3 blade heads; I know shot placement is a key factor, and if you get it in the right spot it is going to work; well hogs are not all the same sometimes there is almost no shield other times it is thick and goes waay down the flanks. Anyway 2 blades offer less resistance and more penetration; so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!   :archer:

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I'd be comfortable shooting 3 blades with 45# and above.  Even then, with a good SHARP WW I wouldn't be too worried about going a little less #s and inside 20 yards.

I'm not convinced that there is much penetration difference between a WW and a fairly large 2 blade.

Make sure the tip is a chiseled so as not to curl
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Ken, I have been shooting mostly 50#-55# bows for years. Have had complete pass thrus on black bear, caribou, whitetails and a pig (115#). Sharp as you can get them on a reasonably heavy arrow and hit 'em in the right spot! Good luck! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
I have a friend that has killed hundreds of pigs and deer with a 45 lb longbow. Using Muzzy three blades ,Simmons ,Phantoms and Woodsmans.He does not have internet so he doesn`t know his bow is not heavy enough....RC

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
I have a friend that has killed hundreds of pigs and deer with a 45 lb longbow. Using Muzzy three blades ,Simmons ,Phantoms and Woodsmans.He does not have internet so he doesn`t know his bow is not heavy enough....RC
I hear you, if you don't hear it on the internet you'll never know your wrong. I like your thinking.  :thumbsup:
USMC 82-86

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input.  It just struck me that I have all these WW and VPA broadheads and my heaviest bow is 53# at my draw weight...lol.

The depth of knowledge here on TG is just incredible.

Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©