3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Min. draw weight for 3 blade head for deer/hogs?  (Read 347 times)

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Min. draw weight for 3 blade head for deer/hogs?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
RC, you make me laugh.  Your honesty and humor are refreshing in this never-ending debate.

Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Im a two blade guy, never had any problem with two blade. I agree with Bjorn when it comes to hogs. I always set up for all game. Elk, Hogs, ect. Only shoot magnus II broadheads. Before that it was Zwickeys just as good. Very simple set up. Works great why change.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
RC, I'm pretty sure Ishi didn't have internet either and he used a 40# bow according to Dr. Pope.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
In my experience with both deer AND hogs....Deer are NO problem IMO with 45#s with a 28inch draw if the heads are bevel level and sharp...actually the WW was designed to work out of light weight bows....

As far as hogs and WWs I would say an increase to 52#s at 28inch draw....and at least 10 grains per pound arrow....11 being even better.

I would look for a post from RC and Izzy....Izzy shoot lighter bows, and runs WIDE 2 blades heads through them...and RC used multi blades at time with lower poundage as well.

I will add....just saying that because its a 3 blade it wont penetrate as good at a 2 blade is a falsehood.  I have seen, with my own testing, 3 blade WWs out penetrate SOME 2 blades on four different target mediums...so its shouldn't be a broad brush statement that 2 blades always out penetrate 3s or 4s.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
I have a friend that has killed hundreds of pigs and deer with a 45 lb longbow. Using Muzzy three blades ,Simmons ,Phantoms and Woodsmans.He does not have internet so he doesn`t know his bow is not heavy enough....RC
There ya go....I didn't see there was a second page till I posted.

How true Robert.    :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
The guy I`m talking about does shoot "different" equipment than most. He has a 28" draw and shoots long 2020 shafts. I asked him once if it was for penetration and he said heck no....you can hardly bend them suckers..lol.RC

Offline Piratkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
I dont recommend you 3 blades for hunting hogs with a bow weight les than 60#
With 2 blades ,45# bow weight,heavy arrow and profil shoot at short distance can be good.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
Love them 2020's RC they also good for "taming" all that racket my Black Widow likes to make and yep they sure are tough. My son dug a brand new dozen shafts out the other day and wants me to fletch them up for "his" Black Widow!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
You absolutely do not need 60# to kill hogs with a 3 blade head.  My 48-50 lbers do just fine with them. It sure won't hurt anything to go that heavy if you can shoot it well, but many of us just can't handle that weight with any degree of accuracy.  I have proven to myself that I don't need it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
While I prefer heavy bows, Ginger can only draw in the lower 40's at her 25 1/2" draw. As I've said on here before, she shoots a WW Elite on a Easton FMJ 500 for just under 600 grains total arrow weight.  The last 8 or so deer and a pronghorn she shot, all were complete passthroughs, except 2 where the arrow held on the off side by the fletching, and fell out in a few yards.  

She shot about a 175 pound hog a couple years ago and the broadhead was out the off side.  

Since we're hog hunting now, maybe more to report in the next couple days.
Dan Brockman

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Roughrider, was that hog a shielded boar or sow? That can make a huge difference.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©