3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: lucky shots  (Read 467 times)

Online gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
lucky shots
« on: February 12, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
How many times have you been shooting and made a lucky shot just have to laugh at. Several come to mind ,  but I'll start out with the time I shot a leaf in the yard at 20 yards and then tried to hit that arrow and proceeded to Robinhood the 2016.
   One time while out rabbit hunting I had a Nuthatch going up a walnut tree at 18 yards.  All that showed was his head, which is about the size of your thumb...oops,  man I never thought I would hit that moving target.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lucky shots
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
Centerpunched a running squirrel at 35 yds. once.
Took the head off a grouse at 30 with a judo.
Lee Trevino was asked about luck after getting a hole in one. "What do you mean luck, the shot went right where I was aiming."
Tom

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Shot a field mouse 2" from my left toe while kicking up rabbits at a local farm. Lucky I didn't hit my foot,lol. Some guys in the club still call me mouse killer.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
LOL, I had a couple that come to mind as a kid. Once while running around with a buddy who was toting a .22 rifle, we came across a gopher that was about 100 yards away. I was shooting a 47 pound Colt recurve. We decided to shoot at the same time. He missed and the gopher took off running and ran right into my arrow. It was awesome, LOL. Then one time a buddy and I came across a toilet paper roll. Just the cardboard. He kicked it down the hill and said hit that as it was rolling away. I shot at about 20 yards. The arrow went through the hole in the roll and stuck in the ground with the toilet paper roll spinning around the shaft. That is just a couple, I can think of a few more, LOL. Seemed like I could hit anything in those days. Man are they long gone.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Anytime I make this shot I can't help but think "How lucky I am"... that pull tab ring is an awfully small target.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Walking along with a friend while he fished a little Wyoming stream I noticed that every once in a while a ground squirrel would pop his head up along the bank 50 or 60 yards ahead and seeing us took off across the meadow.

After the third or fourth one I got ready. When I spotted the next one I tapped my buddy on the shoulder and said, "watch this".

With little hope of doing anything but getting close I let a blunt arrow rip. I was floored when the arrow took that squirrel right through the neck.
My buddy thought I was Howard Hill at that moment and I didn't discourage him.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Coming off a Wyoming mountainside after a morning of hunting rock chucks a guy at the parking area struck up a conversation.

He was very interested in the effectiveness of my recurve and wooden arrows. About the time I had explained that the bow was a 30 yard or closer tool a rock chuck whistled from the side of a cliff a hundred yards distant.

The guy wanted me to shoot the chuck even though I  tried to make him understand it was an impossibility. He wasn't getting the point so tiring of the conversation I put an arrow on the bow.

Coming to anchor I held for an instant. I was looking under my bow hand so there was no need to be real careful about this.

The arrow arced up and away toward the rock face and I was sure I'd shot much too high. But as the arrow closed the distance it began to drop.
There was the crunch of shattering cedar as the arrow passed through the chuck's chest.

Turning to the guy I said something profound like, "there, how's that?".
I didn't wait for a reply, but turned on my heel and got in my truck. That dude was still standing there staring at the cliff in disbelief as I drove off.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
I've got a ton of these little stories and will add a few more as I can.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
Lol. Fantastic stuff Charlie !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Some days the archery Gods are on my side and I make some pretty cool shots.

I had my first Robin Hood this past summer/fall.

Head shot a grey squirrel at 20 yards.

Center punched a running chipmonk < 20 yards.

Now only if I can hit a deer through the boiler room.....hahaha
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
The shots where I hit what I am trying to hit are not lucky.  They are just the occasional well executed shot.  The lucky ones are where I don't do a lot of damage or get in trouble when things go wrong.  

Once I was shooting arrows up in the air.  I was just a kid.  One came down through the new pool cover.  It was a big pool and out in the middle plus cold weather.  Come spring we were taking off the cover and there was a short break in the work.  I was able to get the arrow out before it was seen.  That was lucky.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Head shot a Blue grouse hopping along a log (the grouse)at 35 yards in front of a couple buddies that were with me scouting for an upcoming muley hunt. They both own recurves now, LOL.

Every time I hit a chipmunk is a lucky shot.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
I once had a cotton farmer neighbor that hunted deer religiously with a .270 Weatherby.  He also had several big farms that he allowed me and my teenage son to hunt ON A LIMITED BASIS.  He was given to consume vast quantities of dark liquor and walked across the street to visit from time to time. My son and I had spent the afternoon in a couple trees on his property and since it was a full moon stayed up this early fall evening until 9:00 p.m. or so. My friend walked across the street with libation in hand to express his concern that I had not come home at the appointed hour. He was a real scoffer about archery in general but especially my stickbows. He was 2 1/2 sheets in the wind when he admonished that I could not really kill a dear with a little Texas Recurve Commanche that was always in my den. I politely assured him he was gravely mistaken (a point I would prove to him many times over). Friendly jawing ensued and I bet the old boy that I could shoot his mailbox by the light of the moon, stating it would be nothing more than "a light snack". The wager involved unlimited access to more of his property. I adorned an arm guard and put on my gloves (always wear Justin roper gloves on both hands) picked up the little bow and made sure no cars were coming and sent a cedar arrow through the warm Alabama evening. "BAM!" My tippsy neighbor, roared with laughter. He stated, "there is no way you could do that again". The two arrows were less than an inch apart, buried to the maxi fletches. When I asked the old boy if he wanted to see another one, he kindly asked me to just stop before I tore the mailbox off the post. I will say this, in the Alabama moonlight that metal mailbox looked as big as a house. My teenage son stepped off the distance from my front porch to the mailbox-- 28 yards, as I remember.  BTW, I did shoot the mailbox again the next day (alone this time) in broad daylight just to see if I could. The arrow actually hit about three or four inches from the first two holes.  The guy never commented about it. He did introduce me once as his friend that killed deer with a bow and arrow in the full moon light. (blush).

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Texas hunt a couple of years ago,  

No picture, but pigeons, in flight, but that was a long time ago !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
A dove at 75 yards with a longbow and for once I had witnesses, 3 of them. That was cool! Also shot a snake through his head at 10 yards with longbow. All I could see was his head at the time. Why can I shoot like that everytime?

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
I was coaching my daughter with shooting a recurve. A squirrel ran into the yard, and I told her to shoot it. I never dreamed she would shoot it right in the head.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I took my daughter with me rabbit hunting a couple of years back.

She hadn't shot a traditional bow in quite a while but her 1st shot proved to me that for her it was like riding a bicycle..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
Twice I have killed deer I was not shooting at. Once at a persimmon in the swamp three does came in. I shot at the close one that was broadside. she squated and I spined the deer behind her. Another time I was over a water oak and 6 does came in feeding. I shot at an old doe that squatted and the arrow double lunged the deer beside her. True stories.
  Another time I spined one of three sows while hunting from the ground. The other two did not know what happened and ran over and started biting the screaming spined sow. I liver shot the close one and the arrow passed through it and lunged the pig on the other side. I did not know I had killed the third pig till I took up the trail and it went to the left when the pig I liver shot went to the right.I was over a mile in the swamp and young and strong but still like to have killed me to get them out....

Another time I was pig hunting over a feeder. I shot a sow through the lungs and the arrow passed through and hit a shoat in the neck. He went down flopping like a fish. better to be lucky than good I guess.RC

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
Awwww, please don't shoot at nuthatches, one of my favorite backyard birds.

My first ever deer was broadside at about 25 yards, on the shot he jumped 90 deegrees away from me and the razor blade modified Bear broadhead caught the femoral inside of his back leg and continued on slicing his belly wide open. He died in 40 yards.

I shot a chuckar partridge on the wing with a Ben Pearson longbow.

Sunday I glanced an arrow off a tree into the 11 ring to much ribbing by my compatriots.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
I've never shot multiple big animals with a single arrow but have killed quite a few small ones that way.

I use to hunt ground squirrels with a royal passion and have killed thousands... no joke or exaggeration.

Included in that number are many doubles and quite a few triples. The doubles are fairly easy to pull off in the early spring when the young ones are first out.
I really wanted to top the 3 with 1 mark and finally got my chance. Shooting a 73# recurve and aluminum arrow sporting an HTM rubber blunt I finally came up on a group of youngsters that quickly ran down their hole.

I held fast and finally they started popping up. Finally there were four standing there all in a straight line one behind the other.

While I'd encountered this scenario before the arrow had always deflected off the first, second or third squirrel.

Not this time. All four of them flew in different directions like so many bowling pins.

I've done that same thing with carp in one spot that had more carp than I'd ever seen. There were so many that they were stunted... 4-5 inches average.

During the spawn you'd often find 3 or 4 little guys courting a slightly larger female and they'd be swimming around shoulder to shoulder, so to speak.

I shot 4 many times, but 5 eluded me. Just not enough spunk left in the arrow to penetrate the fifth fish when they did line up right.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©