3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow preference - 3pc, 2pc, or 1pc.  (Read 701 times)

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow preference - 3pc, 2pc, or 1pc.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
2 piece, I really like the Great Northern hinge on a Bushbow. I sure don't need alot of bows but thats the next one on my short list.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
All of them!
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
I like em all.  Depends on the bow really.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
I really like the 2 piece longbows.  They look like a one piece when assembled.
The bad thing is an extra set of limbs are more expensive...........   :p

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I like the extra mass in the riser...so 3 piece takedown is my preference.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I like them all for the most part anyway.

The mass is nice in the 3pc. Lots of grip and riser shapes. You can have LB  and  recurve limbs with some boyers or with ILF.  Then there is all that extra great looking wood you can fit in the bow.  

I really never brake down the 3 pc unless I am heavily packed with stuff and going to be doing a lot of traveling before I need the bow. It just takes too long to take apart and assemble to do it if you don't really have to do it.  When I take it down, it gets very compact.

Most 3 pc bows have short site windows in the length of bow I want to shoot.  That can be the big down side for some people. I have done some form changes and find the shorter site window on most 3 pc bows now put the corner of the top limb in my site line when I shoot split finger.  

The shallower cut depth, usually longer angled site window, and narrow riser and limbs on most 1 pc LB’s give much less visual obstruction with minimum canting. I am back to the one piece as my preference unless I make a permanent change to 3 under so I can work with a shorter site window.

I don't like the long one piece for travel. I find it hard to pack them longer than 62" in my current vehicle.  Most times I can live with it, but sometimes it is a pain to travel with a longer bow.

Now I am looking for a 2 piece more and more, but those have their downsides.  I can't get some of the bows I like in a 2pc of any kind.  Used ones are rare and the right length and weight.  I like the little extra weight of one.  I like the sleeve for strength, but I don't have big hands so some of the sleeve grips are a little big.  I can't get some of the grip shapes I like in a sleeve.  I like leather grip wrapped grips.  Some people don’t and you have to have some kind of grip cover with a sleeve.  I am looking at bow bolts, but I still can’t get every bow I like in a bow bolt.  I also don’t trust them without phenolic in the riser and that means very little room for nice wood in a riser.  You spend a lot more for a 2 pc than 1pc.  In many cases more than a 3 pc.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Chaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
All of above:)
Love God, love your neighbor!

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Joeabowhunter:

Originally posted by duffer1565:
2 piece because I like the look and feel of a one piece with the option of taking it apart for travel .
:thumbsup:  [/b]
X3!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 01:32:00 AM »
All of them,but that 3 piece sure is nice when it comes time to get on a plane.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »
I love them all  :)  

I own one piece LBs and 3 piece recurves. The bottom line for me is I don't take apart any of my 3 piece bows, ever. I have a Hard case for my 3 piece bows, it's still new.

Offline kahunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
I haven't been able to try out any 2 piece bows yet, but I have decided I don't like 3 piece longbows.  For recurves 3 piece seems to be what I shoot better, but for some reason I just don't shoot the 3 piece longbows very well.  Plus it just doesn't look right!

I really want to try a 2 piece bow though if I can ever find a lefty for a decent price!

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
A two piece is the way to go for me. I do backcountry bowhunts and I pack my bow in my quiver to keep my hands free. I also do that when I have to drag out an animal. It makes life easier for me. Also traveling in a car, truck or plane is easier because it packs down small.  

Here is a picture of my pack and quiver. My two piece longbow is in the camo fleece bag in the quiver. It is nice to have both hands free backpacking or dragging.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
Shot some of each, liked all of them. I own 1 piece and 3 piece long bows and have placed my order for my first 2 piece after doing research on systems on here and then talking to the bowyer. Wish I was going to have it for my upcoming pig hunt but It's a ways out yet to get the bow.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
I really prefer a takedown bow for travel. The added mass weight seems to help my shooting as well. I have a 3 piece Zipper Nitro and 2 piece Centaur Carbon Elite. I wouldn't change a thing about either bow.  :thumbsup:

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:
A two piece is the way to go for me. I do backcountry bowhunts and I pack my bow in my quiver to keep my hands free. I also do that when I have to drag out an animal. It makes life easier for me. Also traveling in a car, truck or plane is easier because it packs down small.  

Here is a picture of my pack and quiver. My two piece longbow is in the camo fleece bag in the quiver. It is nice to have both hands free backpacking or dragging.

Great setup!
Got me rethinking my setup for the elk woods!...might be looking at two piece bows now.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
I like all three
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:

Gil, what kind of pack is that?
Thanks.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
That is a Dwight Schuh Mega Pack. I bought it used on Tradgang for under $100.

It did a great job for me on two DIY back country elk hunts. One hunt was 11 days the other 14 days.

It has a external frame. The packs snap off the frame so you can use one for a day pack and the other for a fanny pack. I used the day pack. The fanny pack is too loose without shoulder straps. My hunting partner used it and connected two straps to it for a fanny pack.

I liked it because I could orgainize my stuff in it very well. My hunting partner used the Badlands 4500 and couldn't find anything for 14 days. Ha! He also found their small fanny pack to be useless so he used mine.

I just picked up a Eberlstock Blue Widow. I am going to give that one a try too. The quiver is the Arrow Master that I attached to the pack to carry my arrows and bow.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
Thanks, Gil.
Never tried the Schuh pack. Eberlestock makes great packs. You will enjoy using it.
Kevin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©