3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ROAD TRIP WITH A ST JUDES FLAVOR/HOGS  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ROAD TRIP WITH A ST JUDES FLAVOR/HOGS
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Gotcha Michael- I'll give you that one!
 And ElkKen is correct- you are a great Dad!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
All sounds great to me, Michael. Looking forward to meeting your youngest "sharp shooter", at her St. Jude Turkey Hunt in April.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Well my last chance was to be on saturday pm set. Marty said he was gonna put me on a stand where none other than Terry Green had killed one of his biggest hogs.  Wind was 19 to 25 out of the W/NW.  Marty go another of his helpers, young guy named Joe, to take me to the spot so he'd have time to station the Langahans in their evening spots. This spot i was in was really cool. It was a ladder stand with a climax loc on behind it for a camera person. Another thing that caught my eye was that Marty had put a ratchet strap on two live oaks behind the stand to pull them together to provide more back cover. A great idea that i'll likely use in the future.  
   About 30 min before dark I looked over to my left to see the biggest hog i'd ever seen in the woods. He came out of a swampy area and walked to the road behind me. He just stood there looking at the feeder for at least a min. The wind was directly from him to me and I was on my feet. All he had to do was come in about 15 yards. Instead, he just turned and walked back in the woods from where he came. He was a big red hog. Looked like a barrel and I'm sure he'd been cut cause when he walked away he was missing some luggage.  I would have loved to have gotten a clear shot at that hog. Just seeing him made my hunt. I texted Marty and told him about my encounter. What he came back with made me laugh out load.

He said, " Terry would a got him" .

Marty McMahon is a piece of work. Ive never felt more welcome at a camp and even though Ive only been around him three times now, I'm proud to call him a friend and I hope he feels the same way.

My dad told me when I was a kid that the hunting is only 10 percent. The trip and memories made are the gravy. I'm still sopping the gravy from this one. Thanks Marty as well as Michael, Mills and Woods.

Stay tuned, Come April we gonna do it all again to the 10th power.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Your dads words are so, so true Don.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Man don't ever show Marty the slightest chink in your armor....he'll tear ya up!  In a loving way of course    :D  

And yes, he sure is a piece of work and one of the greatest hunting camp hosts and as entertaining guy as you'll ever be around. I luv'um like a big brother!

I can't wait for Mills' Turkey hunt!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Lowcountry Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Okay look here I don't remember talking about Chloe at solanla and so I killed some and I didn't have my sister there either.
Remember heroes live forever but legends never die follow your heart kid. You'll never go wrong.

Offline Lowcountry Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2013, 08:49:00 PM »
Okay look here I don't remember talking about Chloe at solanla and so I killed some and I didn't have my sister there either.
Remember heroes live forever but legends never die follow your heart kid. You'll never go wrong.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2013, 06:01:00 AM »
The guest of honor sporting a custom hoodie sent to her by Mike Rizzo (leatherneck).  

Woods standing guard while Marty checks a feeder

Mills, glassing some sandhill cranes out about 100yards from the buggy. Marty said they taste like Ribeye Steak but Woods never could get a shot on them.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2013, 06:09:00 AM »
The Spoils of War

Marty sitting around and supervising Some wood chopping.

We were getting really proficient at this by the time this pic was snapped

Hungry hunters. The food was outstanding.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »
Awesome pix buddy!  Actual hunt/kill pix are great, but the camplife/off time pix are what really tell the story of a hunt.

That picture with little Miss Mills swingin' that big 'ol axe with Marty watching is priceless    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2013, 07:00:00 AM »
Yeah....great stuff...starting my day off early and right...

And I'll have to add as well....Marty is one of the best hosts a hunter could ever have.  That is no lie.  I once told him I'd drive 12 hours just to piss in his camp fire.  Its just too much fun there, and riding in that buggy is like being on a Floridian Safari.

Mills aint so little any more, I mean, she's still small, but not that little monkey I remember.  Cute as a button too.  I'm sure you guys got a lot out of the hunt just from her presents.

Thanks for sharing, and if there's more...keep it coming.

And thanks to you Marty for offering up another great hunt an gesture.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
That's a mighty snappy jacket that Mike customized for Mills, and she does it proud too. Great pics and tales, all around. I've enjoyed it, for sure.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
For sure, Marty is a kick in the pants to be around.  After seeing Mills in that pink camo, I've got to get back to the forge and re-do her Turkey Knife in pink  :)   tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Wow, I left this thread go way too long before checking back.

Congrats to Miss Mills.

Thank you all for sharing, looks like it would have been an incredible hunt to be on.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Pink skinning gloves ...nice touch for Valentine season
DonD

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Batten:

THE PUNISHMENT STAND.
I was trying hard to do good so I wouldn't end up in this tree.  All the more so since Woods was trying hard to beat me to it and it didn't appear to be much room for one hunter not to mention, two.
 Marty dropped off everyone in the dark again and once again I was last. Still really dark as I climbed up in my stand. As the shadows started to grow I heard a low grunt. Thats real close for me cause I can't hear much at all.  Two pigs came from out front and then a larger (100 ish) joined in on the chum corn. Was waiting for a little better shooting light when I heard a shot. I grinned again and checked the time. 6:37 am.  My pigs started getting jumpy and I knew that If i didn't get a shot off , Marty would really be mad at me. I came to full draw and cut one loose. appeared to be a tad forward but a pass through as I could see the arrow on the ground and the pigs bolted.  I sat there replaying the shot in my mind.  About then I heard another shot. I was really grinning then. text mssg confirmed what I already figured. 2 more dead hogs ala Mills.  I climbed down to find my arrow broken off an inch behind the broadhead. No blood no head. Peanut confirmed no hit. Must have got a deflection on an unseen limb in the dark and hit under hog who ran over my arrow and broke it off.  Yea I suck.
I could tell Marty was feeling bad for me. I started to feel better when he put his arm on my shoulder and said" Man don't worry about it" feeling alot better now I was until he finished his sentence. " You just aint good enough" . Man , what a pep talk.  

Off to do some farm work. I'll be back tonight and finish up my  adventure.
Marty put me in that stand once....it wasn't broken down like that though when I got in it
  :dunno:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
Thomas Burns was the first to receive the Punishment stand after Biggie was sentenced there. The hard part is to quickly let go with one hand- shoot- and grab the rail again before you fall!

Just told Don that I can't make the turkey hunt. I have a college reunion in the Keys that weekend. Went there a couple years ago and found out why my buddies always went to classs and studied- talk about successful. I get to stay in a house that I usually go in the service entrance! I wish I woulda studied instead of buying Rollong Rock! These guys wouldn't fly over the places we crawl through...

Don- your checks in the mail for saying nice things about me.

Notice how we got Woods to stutter on his computer about Chloe!!! He's easy

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Ummm...there's an obvious question stemming from Biggie's post, but I won't ask...    :knothead:    :rolleyes:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »
Mills really does make that hoodie look good!

I'm beginning to think the way she pounded those hogs I should have had a pig embroidered on it instead! But we will find out next month.

What is it with those Langehans and an ax?   :confused:   Woods swung one the whole time he was up here this fall now Mills has one swinging. Michael, there are still child labor laws out there. Even for you rebels!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
If I got to live another life, second behind being Monty Browning's bow would be to come back as a Langehan's young'n.

Gotta love that crowd.

Good show from Don, Marty and crew as well.

:thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©