3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ROAD TRIP WITH A ST JUDES FLAVOR/HOGS  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ROAD TRIP WITH A ST JUDES FLAVOR/HOGS
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Marty:
he was mumbling around camp in his fake British accent .
AH HA!!!!...That completely EXPLAINS IT !!!!

Woods is 007 !!!!  :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:    :eek:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Lowcountry Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
You say what I'll tell you I don't have a girlfriend and second I didn't feel comfortable with a shot the first time and then I pulled the second time but then my glove made squeak on the string so that spooked the hogs.!!!   :banghead:    :mad:    :deadhorse:
Remember heroes live forever but legends never die follow your heart kid. You'll never go wrong.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
And who is 007 James Bond ?!
Remember heroes live forever but legends never die follow your heart kid. You'll never go wrong.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Oh by the the names Bond, James Bond

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
Told you Marty would get the facts all wrong. I'll try and sort it all out for y'all tonight
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Something about that place causes epic shooting failures ....so I've been told
DonD

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Fake British accent????? Ha ha, too rich. Pops said he got it from watching Tele Tubbies. Way to score Miss Mills.   :notworthy:

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marty:
Woods had lots of excuses, but I think the biggest reason he didn't score was because he didn't hear from his girlfriend Chloe all weekend- he was mumbling around camp in his fake British accent about her not calling!
In Texas he was using a real British accent and talking about his fake girlfriend.  That seemed to be a better combination for him.    :D
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
:biglaugh:  Gregg you are on the money with that one!

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Well I'll try and bring everyone up to speed on the way I saw it unfold.  I know Mills is trying to rest up after killing all the hogs and on top of that, stopping off in Georgia on the way home and kicking some more butt at a gymnastics meet. Congrats sweetie.

As Marty already said, He put us out in the rain the first day. I had two nice does come in right at dark. I was glad He drove the truck to pick us up as I was getting a little chilly from being soaked.

Next morning we all had high hopes. We got everyone on stand and then on to  my spot.  all of a sudden Marty stops the buggy and throws a corn bag on the ground. It's pitch dark and he tell me that if I don't have any action after my feeder goes off, I should walk back to the bag and head east to another feeder.  When we got to my tree he tells me that Gene Wensel shot 3 nice pigs out of this tree. I was full of anticipation.  soon after it got light , 2 more does came in and started eating the corn Marty threw off the buggy. Chummin corn, he calls it. Good thing too cause the feeder never went off. Dead battery. I told him that I bet if Gene was sitting there he would have had a fresh battery.  He text me back some nonsense and told me to go to the bag and head east. I found the bag but no trail. I asked where the trail was. There aint no trail you idiot, just head east about 450 yards and the feeder is right there by some live oaks and palmettos. Well if you been to Marty's you know that narrows it down to about 7000acres.
  I whipped out my compass and started east. about 200 yards into my walk i felt the wind on my neck. My puffer bottle confirmed I was walking with the wind. I took about 10 more steps and man there was some piggy smelling mud. then two good size hogs busted out of a palmetto bush and headed straight away. I figured i'd just go back and find the corn bag and wait.  More to come.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
On my way back to the corn bag I heard a shot. I just grinned and kept walking. I heard the buggy way out east of me and then got a text. "I'm at the feeder where are you?"  Back at the corn bag, the wind was wrong.  " the hogs were here dummy". They came around and picked me up and were all smiles about the hog Mills had put the smack on.   Marty mumbled something about a punishment stand and we went back to camp so I , with Michael's help, could clean the hog.  Side Note: I had been talking to tippit about the strip method of skinning these critters and we tried it out on this one. By the time the weekend was over we were getting pretty good at it. Thanks to Mills for providing so many training aids.  
 During the day we were entertained by riding around to check feeders while Woods shot at armidillos and coons with his Gamo pellet rifle.  It is really an effective weapon on these pests.

More later

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Don, it sounds to me that you were the camp whupping boy! But that's only my perception.  :)
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2013, 06:09:00 AM »
Naw,Mike - Don is just an inveterate "volunteer" - he cain't hep his se'f. It all stems from his Daddy bringing him up right, as a hard-charging farm boy and construction crew go'fer, in his formative years - it's what made "batman" the super-hero he is today  :D
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2013, 06:57:00 AM »

THE PUNISHMENT STAND.
I was trying hard to do good so I wouldn't end up in this tree.  All the more so since Woods was trying hard to beat me to it and it didn't appear to be much room for one hunter not to mention, two.
 Marty dropped off everyone in the dark again and once again I was last. Still really dark as I climbed up in my stand. As the shadows started to grow I heard a low grunt. Thats real close for me cause I can't hear much at all.  Two pigs came from out front and then a larger (100 ish) joined in on the chum corn. Was waiting for a little better shooting light when I heard a shot. I grinned again and checked the time. 6:37 am.  My pigs started getting jumpy and I knew that If i didn't get a shot off , Marty would really be mad at me. I came to full draw and cut one loose. appeared to be a tad forward but a pass through as I could see the arrow on the ground and the pigs bolted.  I sat there replaying the shot in my mind.  About then I heard another shot. I was really grinning then. text mssg confirmed what I already figured. 2 more dead hogs ala Mills.  I climbed down to find my arrow broken off an inch behind the broadhead. No blood no head. Peanut confirmed no hit. Must have got a deflection on an unseen limb in the dark and hit under hog who ran over my arrow and broke it off.  Yea I suck.
I could tell Marty was feeling bad for me. I started to feel better when he put his arm on my shoulder and said" Man don't worry about it" feeling alot better now I was until he finished his sentence. " You just aint good enough" . Man , what a pep talk.  

Off to do some farm work. I'll be back tonight and finish up my  adventure.

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Wow....

Can't believe it's over again so fast.

Mill's has gym from 4-8 tonight so it might be tomorrow before she gets to post anything.

Thank you Don for coming up with this great idea and thank you Marty for jumping in to support it as well.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
All Marty can do is get you on'm Sunny boy ....

Sure sounds like a good old time had by all, thanks for sharing the laughs and CONGRATS Mills. Another huntress in the making.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by elkken:
All Marty can do is get you on'm Sunny boy ....

Alas Kenny Boy I was guiding this trip.

You need to talk to Don and Woods about being put on them.

When I hunt with Marty stuff dies....

The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Don Don Don- I told you that I was once told that I wasn't good enough! Not you! You already admitted above that your hearing was gone. When I asked Don if he heard any turkey gobbling- he replied that they would have to be in his tree!!! Ha!

Michael Michael Michael- You were guiding???

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Yep ... I've seen you in action    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Yes Marty. Whispering to Mills"Shoot That one" counts as guiding..

:bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

Billy Ellis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©