3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which magnus head?  (Read 416 times)

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
Which magnus head?
« on: August 22, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Hey everyone, this will be my first fall using a recurve. I will be hunting with about 43 pounds at my 27" draw length. I want to go with magnus heads, and have been told a 2 blade would be my best choice for my low poundage. I was thinking of the regular Magnus 2 blade screw in, the stinger 2 blade, or the serrated stinger with bleeder blades. I would like to go with the bleeders for better blood trails, but am questioning if it penetrate as well with only 43#. I will be hunting whitetails by the way. What are you opinions on these heads? Feel free to post pics of kills with them too.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which magnus head?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
Magnus 2 blade 125 has worked for me on bows between 50 and 60 pounds. I've taken both hogs and deer with complete pass throughs. They are easy to sharpen to a razor edge. Depending on the arrow you are using you might want to consider add some weight up front. Good luck.  :thumbsup:

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 04:26:00 PM »
I think if your bow is coming out at 43# at your draw than you can use any of the Magnus heads you mentioned with bleeders. I prefer the Magnus 1 myself but they are all good heads for whitetails. Whatever you end up going with just put in the boiler room and you'll make meat. Good luck!
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Magnus I all day long
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
I like the Magnus 2 blade. I rammed one through a vetebrae of a good sized doe @ 20 yrds. Also punched one through the chest of a doe. I shoot 45# RedWing Hunter.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
snuffer 3-blade

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
i would say the magnus 2 2 blade 125  not the serated tip as I do not like the testing results ont them compared to the reguler 2 blade

bleeder blades should be allright with your setup although I have never  used them  dont see no need with a good hit in the boiler room
St. Joe River Bows

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:40:00 PM »
Don't forget those vented Magnus....they sure do fly good..
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Stingers work out of even lighter bows aka they still shoot through things even out of bows in the mid 30# range. I've seen it first hand.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
redclay,

You have already narrowed it down well IMO, all the heads you mentioned would be an excellent choice for your set up.

The bleeders on the Stingers are really small, I'd not back off of them due to worries about penetration, that concern would be unwarranted IMO.

Good hunting whatever you pick!   :archer:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 04:28:00 PM »
i like stingers.The diamond point is very tough so tip curl is not a problem to really worry about.Very sharp out of the package.I shoot the 4 blade myself.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
magnus stinger 4 blade for me complete pass through on a bear this spring quarting away shot out of a 48 # BW PSR

Doug77

Offline redclay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
thanks guys. I narrowed it down to those because I like that magnus has a lifetime guarantee, and those 3 heads are the ones my local shop carries. I am leaning toward the stinger with bleeders, but keep the opinions coming!

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
I tried a bunch of broadheads before settling on Stinger 2 blade 125G.  I shoot 55# and never had a problem.  I've had pass-thru on decent sized deer and always get good penetration.

Plus I like the way they fly.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I like the 2 blade, 125gr ones that are vented. The vented broadheads fly way better for me than the solid blade ones. Plus they are easy to sharpen.
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©