3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PIG-GIG... Lets do this!! Story P.2  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PIG-GIG... Lets do this!! Story P.2
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
You got it Gene. Ya toms already there with Barry and Gene  checking cams, baiting etc. well be sure and say Hi, for ya!

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Well boy?

Barry siad a bunch of hogs needed band-aids. Where the pics and stories?
lll

Offline Kudu Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
Any stories.  I'm going through withdrawal this year having not gone down south.

Keith

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Hey, Keith. Missed seeing you this year. Don't think there was anything exciting like Barry doing hand to snout combat with a hog. But he did tell us to throw our bow at it if we were charged. Hunting was pretty good. I think everybody was into the hogs. Even me, but I could never close the deal. I think the final tally was something like 17 hogs hit.
Colburn

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
I'll post pics and stories tomorrow. Been doing other crap like putting my hunting stuff away and cleaning the garage...and photobucket has been fighting me.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your pics buddy.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Heres a teaser with hopes youll come back tomorrow...

Offline Stickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 11:02:00 PM »
I would say he is outnumbered..........

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
He's got them surrounded, BUT does he have enough arras....

:saywhat:  

Bring it on!

:pray:  

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
I will have to say for the very limited amount of hunting I have done, and get to do every year.; Hunting  hogs is by far the most fun there is for me.  At this particular place (Lambshead) It's true Spot and stalk.  Just the way I like to hunt. Now dont get me wrong I love, love, love sitting in a tree stand in the fall with the hopes that I'll get a glimpse of a whitetail buck. But ever since I moved west those chances get smaller and smaller every year.  In Colorado It's Elk, Mulies, Pronghorn and Bear.  And all the seasons run together for 1 month, with the exception of antelope which starts 2 weeks earlier.  So usually I spend 10 days or less Running around the mountains dodging other hunters with hopes of an elk sighting. with hopes of a mulie sighting on the way to that!  So to break from the winter lull The Wensels Pig GIg is a great opportunity.  

Heres the Bunk house at Lambshead ranch.

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 08:42:00 PM »
Holy Cow.... :scared: !!! I mean Holy PIG!!! That's a lotta pork right there...Makin' me hungry!!!  :campfire:
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
This was My second time out to the Cactus State on Pig gig. The first time being a few years back with an awesome and HUGE group of guys. Those stories have been told But just a reminder. Heres what that week looked like.

Needless to say, there wasnt much hunting going on, but there sure was a lot of camp happenings. It was just good ol' fun.  
The thing that sold me was that when we did get to go hunting we saw pigs... lots of them and there were even a couple taken that week.
Heres Grants Boar he shot down by the Stone house Just MINUTES after dropping him off on our first hunt. I'll never forget hearing that SQUEEEEEAL from about 1/4 mile off after he shot it with that 90# Bear TD  LOL

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
SO I did Plenty of Prayin' this time before we left.  With hopes that the weather would Co-operate and we could really spend some quality time Hunting.  
As a side note Randy the Elk Slayin, Mule Deer Shootin, Mountain Loin mashing Ferret and I went out and bought New Sony Action cams. For some close range 1080P HighDEF Up close hunting. We figured out ways where you could wear the cam and shoot and see all the action wirelessly and compact.  Heres me sporting What I thought would be the greatest thing since Java chip Frapaccino's

So I practiced shooting with my cam on packed up my stuff and headed out 12 hr drive south Smooth sailing (fortunately).  Made it to camp Sunday At 1 ish where everyone was at "headquarters" hangign out and going through all the formal Mumbo Jumbo.  every one did their introductions. And everyone seemed especially excited to meet my hunting partner and personal Photographer, Julie. Especially Barry and Gene.  Weather it was because there would be something making the camp smell better or because it gave them a new target for pranks and Jokes. and if you havnt met these boys...they are full of them

Either way this would be her first time out with a large group of trad hunters, and her first time to TX (Thornland) for Hogs.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
After heading down to the Bunkhouse and started setting up camp Thomas Hogdancer Burns Started Funneling people out to where they would be hunting, to scout, look for sign, hunt etc.. Upon his return he grabbed us and we head out to look a round and drop some corn. Cool little spot on "the other side" of the river. Which I had never been so it was cool to see something new.
"What should I take?" I ask.   "Ummm Your Bow. Ya, You just never know."
(duh)     :knothead:  
Anyway, I was a little worried at first because I just bought a new Subaru Forester and I was now going to be crossing the Brazos River, let alone dealing with the most rediculous amount of CLAY-MUD you ever saw.  Now before you make fun me, like... yes even my 70 yr old mother and most of my friends did the forester is quite impressive and completely sold me.  It even got where someones Tundra couldnt get (isn't that right Colburn?) LOL
anyway off we go, check the spot figure out some possible strategies and head back to camp. Eat lunch, then head back out for the first nights hunt.  
this is the view from atop a "mountain" looking down on the Brazos. Facing SOUTH West. If you look close at the distal end of the road you can see the famous "stone house"

Julie and I primarily hunted the river bottom and field to the Left and whats obviously below us.  we spent about 2 hrs walking that and peeking down off the side looking for Piggy. Nothing...
about an hour before dark we circled completely around the field  back to these oil drums. We decided to head back to camp when right across the road runs 2 piggies.... Now this caught us both off guard Me because I wasnt expecting to see hogs so fast and She because she wasn't familiar with using my camera.
I locked up the Brakes Jumped out and nocked an arrow. Turned on My action cam and began duckwalking...
Now I do duck walks all the time and they are no big deal to me. BUTT these were a bit different because when you walk these fields in TX they are loaded with THORNS which end up in your lower pant legs. Ok No biggie....Untill you DUCK WALK!!!!  Now they are in MY @$$!!!
So here I am cringing and get to a spot were a pig passes me at 12 yds or so...Wind howling fastand action cam ON!  the whole time thinking... MAN this footage is going to be SIIIICKKK!!  well I stand up Slowly so I can maybe get a shot off and realize I'M SURROUNDED. Not even Kidding... There were about 20 pigs all shapes and Sizes and I duck walked right into them.  I played cat and mouse with them for a good 15 miutes the whole time looking back at julie with camera in hand saying "pictures" "pictures" Pictures"!!!!!  I got probably as close as 7 yards to a couple pigs, but the Scramble around, re set themselves, then I'd get on another one. Needless to say I didnt get a chance to shoot, and the eventually moved out to a bigger portion of the Field and connected with about 20 more pigs. unsuccessful, But Man what a Great first night! And the action cam on my head I was Amped with all the great footage and the pictures Julie was taking I mean she was even 10 yds or so from pigs! It was incredible.... We get back to the car and I said.."did you get lots of pics?' and the reply was "NO!" "Well I didnt want them to hear the camera."  
     "[dntthnk]"  
Well I explained that the camera wasnt that loud and Please push the shutter as much as you can, Oh Ya...FOCUS!
Head Back to camp,eat dinner, Chit Chat with the group... Day one...End

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
:campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Yeah, Matty, your Subaru saved me a lot of walking. And swimming since we were hunting the other side of the river. Thanks again.
Colburn

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
:campfire:    Enjoying the story!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
The morning of Monday was the actual day 1. The one I wrote about previous was Sunday and was not actually day 1. So keeping this in mind, the morning of day one, of which we saw nothing. Not one hog. our hunt consisted on getting up high on that mountain and looking down at the field Glassing as we went.  All we saw were turkey and deer. Which both seemed to be everywhere. And a whole bunch of cardinals. Which should be the state bird if it isnt. The temps were warm. Mid 60s to 70s gorgeous and sunny.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
The evening hunt however.

Will have to wait till tomorrow as my day has gotten away from me.. Bed time already, I get up at 4:20 am.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©