3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who still shoots aluminums?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
Who still shoots aluminums?
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »
I was surprised to find out that some people still prefer alum's to carbon. I am curious why?  I have not used them for years and just recently took a couple old alum's out and shot them. Thought about trying them again, but I thought I had good reasons to move away from them in the past. Easy to bend, tough to know when bent, heavy.....

Talk me into trying them again
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who still shoots aluminums?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
I have some I still shoot. A lot easier to get tuned with out a lot of point weight tinkering while still giving you good arrow weight. A lot more accurately spined in many cases also. Aluminum just offer such a wide range of spines and are straight so long as you take care of them that they are hard to dump.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
I do.
Easier to tune with out all sorts a inserts or tube.
You can get spine exactly how you need and with GPI to match. Easier to make the right with the piont you want. Also less expensive...

Whats more, they are much more durable. I shoot footed 2117.
I missed a rabbit 'on the hop' the other day. My arrow center punched a large piece of granite. Blew 3 feathers and the nock clean off. The shafts is no worse for wear. I'v re-refletced that shaft 5 or 6 times.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
I still shoot alloys when it counts, and when doesn't it. People can say all they want about carbons dynamic spine, the fact is most archers can't get the spine they need in that material. I believe this to be the root of the really heavy arrow trend today.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Ive shot aluminum until recently. I think im one of the only ones that when i switched to carbon all i did was move up 25 grains in point. And i shoot bullet holes.
The Fishburglar

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Since 1976 but have a few Wal-mart carbons also.They fly good and kill animals if I do my part.Kip

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I have a dozen 2219 with half setup with Snuffer 160s on them that I still use for turkey some and taking as back up arrows on a hog hunt this week...but prefer woodies.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
I shoot 1916's out of my 45# Bears Paw T.D. I use Zwickey No Mercy heads. The last two bucks I've killed I got complete pass thru. They shot right where I'm looking.

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
I use alluminum. I found that they are easier to tune than carbons are; and all I need is some hot melt and an alluminum tube cutter to tune them. They are pretty tough, and are a lot cheaper than carbons as well. Like others have said they make it a lot easier to achieve a heavy weighted arrow without adding tubes or a bunch of point weight.

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
I do. I shoot 2018's. A great shaft. Don't want the hassle of tuning carbons. That doesn't mean I'll never switch to them, but, I have a room full of aluminums to go through first !

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
I shoot both, but I twisted my back shoveling snow. The aluminum's are one heck of a lot easier to pull out of a foam target when your back is hurting.

And I still have a fond spot in heart for 2117's. Do everything I've ever asked them to do and as someone posted above, they are often quite a bit cheaper. So I bend one once in a while. I don't cry as loudly when I lose one.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline 6feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I shoot aluminum mainly because of the wide varity of spines out there and also price point.  Most of my go to bows shoot very well with 2018 shaft and 150gr up front and produce an arrow in the 550 range at my arrow length. I don't have to mess with tubes and heavy inserts. A 2018 has a pretty thick wall and seem to hold up well.  I have switched back and forth between wood and aluminum for almost 50 years and played with carbon a little but just find too much hassel tuning them.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Yup  2016's and 2018's great shafts. Simple,easy,cheaper. Only bent or broke a few in many years of shooting.

I do have some carbons,quess I had to check them out but mostly shoot alums.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Mike,I still shoot 2018's. Not exclusively,but I love how versatile they are. Plenty of GPI,and the spine which is a .487 I think,just lends itself to all my bows in the 48-51 lb range. They are not as tough as carbon,but are alot more forgiving in flight for me. Alot of times with carbons if they are'nt just right...I get a bit of "minnowing" to the target. And I have had a bow that is 48 lbs shoot a .500 spined carbon well,and one that is 50 lbs send it all kinds of crazy downrange. I have seen this vise-versa as well. The 2018's just cover it all. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I use aluminum a LOT!  Very straight, easily re-fletched, and as said many available sizes/spines.  Easy to pull from common foam style targets.

Wood for personal serious shooting, aluminum for just about everything else.  As said above, carbon is just too difficult to tune, dangerous if damaged and not detected.  

Arrows are "ammunition" and to a certain degree expendable.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
some of my bows really prefer them,thay shoot great and get heavier weights with them.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
I still shoot them now and again.....they just work well!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
I use aluminums a lot.  I find them easy to tune and I like the price.  Plenty of used ones are usually available.  I have a straightener to help with bent ones, if they aren't too bad.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
I just fletched up about 16 last night, in fact, for my new Java Man long bow.  I footed them with another piece of aluminum arrow and some two part epoxy.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
I still use both but am warming up to carbons I killed 2 deer with carbons this year. I use wood, aluminum and carbon. Aluminum are def easy to tune. My Black Widow loves 2020's they tame the racket it likes to make. That said so will heavy carbons and woodies. Bottom line is they all work and the critters I shoot don't give a rip what I shoot em with.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©