3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Hunting from a Ground blind  (Read 502 times)

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Hunting from a Ground blind
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
After applying for six years I drew a Wisconsin bear tag for this fall.  I've hunted bears before but the baited hunts have been from the comfort of a treestand.

I'm tossing around the idea of making simple natural ground blind and use that with a ghille suit. Part of me would like the added excitement but then i've had sow and cubs come into baits before and had the sow look directly at me in the stand and walk up to the base of the tree. That puts a guy on edge and so thats my only concern with hunting from the ground.

So has anyone hunted bears over bait form a ground blind and if so would you do it again???

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Hunting from a Ground blind
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
I hunted bears since the late 70's in Wisconsin and many other areas - they always look up at a person in a treestand.  I believe they think you are a subordinate bear that has climbed the tree.  

A few years ago we started hunting from a Double Bull, and I certainly prefer that.  We don't set the blind up ahead of time, and just set it in whatever cover is available (sometimes not really brushed in) and hunt it.  The bears seldom pay much attention to the blind until they've been in there for a while, then they may come over to inspect it.  They usually are convinced to leave when I swat on the side of the blind or tell them to get out of there.  I'm not too concerned about them, but I'm maybe overly nonchalant about black bears.
Dan Brockman

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
I did it Manitoba in 08' in exactly the way you described. It was one of the absolute funnest things I've ever done.

I did just as you mentioned... I set up a small natural blind - just enough to hide behind with a bigger tree as background. I kept gloves on to hide the brightness of my hands and wore face paint for the same reason. I sat on one of those small tripod seats with a back. Kind of important to have a seat with a back on it because you can only sit still just so long without being able to lean back and relax.

I was about 10-11 yards from the bait, downwind.

As far as the bears go, I never felt threatened by any of them except one smaller bear (small by Manitoba standards) that kept huffing, puffing and bluffing. He got to about 3 feet and I whispered something to him along the lines of "Hit the road", and he couldn't have jumped and run any faster. I have to admit the bear spray was ready to go on that guy.     :p    

I honestly believe that if you stay calm, don't make any sudden moves, you're fine. They know you're there whether you're on the ground or in a tree and they'll tolerate quite a bit. And really, if you think about it, if you run into a troublesome bear who's looking to give you a rough time, it's not going to be much more difficult for him to do it whether you're 12 feet up or on the ground.

I can't say I had any experience with sows and cubs on that particular hunt. I also think that to some extent a sow with cubs may at times avoid a bait site, knowing that boars frequent them. Not sure about that though... That's just my impression.

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I haven't done it but said I would like to some day.....That said, I don't know if I could do it. I know how excited I get when I'm in a tree and on the ground it would be X's 10.

I agree that it's the sow with cubs to be extra careful around.  Meanest bears I've seen have been big old sow's.

Check out Stickflingers video's.

Offline mb bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
Bel007 shot his bear from the ground last spring. I hope he chimes in with his experience.

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:56:00 PM »
I shot one once at a bait where I was hiding behind a rock and when he got there I peeked over the edge and when he was looking away I stood up and shot.  It was about seven yards really exciting!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
Yep..bears at eye level are fun! On my link under the photos category are video's. The 1st video is from makeshift ground blind.

Where's Bel007...he's got some good pix and story from his ground hunt too!

Then there's Steve O, who likes hunting bears from a whopping 3 feet off the ground!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
I believe "Manitoba Sickflinger" did this as well. If memory serves me right, he also has a video
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I will be doing it in Idaho in May. The only bear I have killed previously was on the ground; 7 yards responding to my elk bugle. It is a real rush.
I tried treestanding over bait a couple of times, and the most fun I had was a juvenile bear that tried to climb in the stand with me. When I stomped my feet and yelled at him, you have never seen an animal leave the country so fast.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Ground hunting for bears has been more productive in the spring (when Maine had a spring season). They are hungrier and, to my mind, less skitish unless you are dealing with a sow with cubs.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
Make sure you bring some toilet paper   :scared:
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddeling up anyway"
John Wayne

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
A must do for any bear hunter who wants a thrill...

A view from the blind to the bait (notice the arrow stuck in the ground to the left of the barrel)

A view from the bait to the blind

A pic of the bear's final resting spot about 8 yards from where I shot him

A little video clip showing my feet on terra firma

Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
The last bear I killed was from the ground with my Black Widow PSAV. Stalked into a baitsite and shot a 340# boar after watching him for 20 minutes from 25yds. Might be the most exciting hunt I have been on. I say do it.

Good luck.

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Oh boy no ones talking me out of it yet!!    :)

Bel007, thanks for posting the pics. From what it appears your brush blind was slightly up hill from bait site, was that planned like that or just the way it worked out?  My site is slightly up hill( about 6' high ridge) from a beaver pond/ creek bottom so if I do a brush blind I might actually be somewhat down hill. Wonder if that would make any difference or not?

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Centaur,  you by chance hunting with Weitas creek for your Idaho bear hunt?  I've read that he likes to do brush blinds on the ground for his bear hunts.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
German Dog,
Yes, that is where I'm headed. He has told me that 8 to 10 yard shots are the norm from his ground blinds. Can't wait!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 10:58:00 AM »
Ed,

I could have just as easily written your post as that is exactly what I want to do for my next bear hunt.  I have enough Wisconsin points to get a tag again so will likely put in for it for 2014.  I have taken a few bear out of tree stands when I was using wheels but the next one will be my first with traditional and also on the ground.  I have been around enough black bears that I don't feel threatened by them but........I have experienced sows with cubs at bait sites twice over the years and both times the hair stood up on the back of my neck - you won't have to check your pulse, it'll be pounding in your ears.  :eek:    :scared:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Centaur, I've been eyeing up Weitas Creek for some time now. Would really like to take my step-son there as soon as he gets a little more experiance with his bow.  I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know how it turned out for ya.  

Pete,  The time I had sow and cubs come in and the sow standing at the base of my stand I wasn't sure about my pulse, too busy putting down the bow and grabbing the shotgun    :scared:

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 01:53:00 PM »
I would recommend hunting from the ground.  The only bear I have shot was after I called it in with a fawn bleat call and shot it at 9 feet...no not yards, feet.  Most exciting hunt of my life.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
This is a link to the thread I did about my hunt in Saskatchewan in 2011. If you have back isues of Bowhuntwer Magazine they published an article about my hunt in the stickbow section of the Feb/Mar 2012 issue.  All I can say is that it is awesome and a real rush!!!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=105045;p=1
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©