3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tuning  (Read 220 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
tuning
« on: February 13, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Ok so I have only been shoot trad for about 3-4 weeks now.  I am trying to tune my bow.  I am shooting a 1966 Bear Kodiak 42#@28 and my draw length is 26".  I am shooting Beman Center Shot 500 arrows with a 75 grain insert and a 125 grain field point.  I bought a tuning kit from 3 rivers with the different grain tips and I do have the 5 grain washers to make up for the in between weights.  I have the bows brace hieght at 27 3/4".  How far away from the target do you stand while tuning and is there such thing as too heavy of a tip?  I would like get this figured out. I have a new bear kmag on the way that is gonna be my main bow.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:06:00 PM »
There is a series of DVD's called Masters of the Bare Bow. There are 4 of them out now. In I believe the second one is a section by Ken Beck of Black Widow on tuning which is a good intro. I recommend the whole series, especially if you're just getting started in trad.

You are drawing about 38#. You could probably get a 500 spine shaft to tune, but you would have to add a lot of weight up front, and you would end up with a really slow arrow. Some people like a lot of weight up front, and they might chime in, but I'm not one of them. If I were shooting your rig, I would shoot a 600 spine arrow with maybe a 75 or 100 grain tip, and start tuning from there.

I generally start my bare shaft tuning at about 5 yards, and tune until I can get good bare shaft flight out to at least 20 yards.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Tough to tune any bow until you have consistent technique...maybe wait a while...shoot what you have
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Tough to tune any bow until you have consistent technique...maybe wait a while...shoot what you have
I am in agreement with this statement. An inconsistent release, or any of a hundred other things, can make tuning very difficult until you have developed a somewhat consistent shot.

Bisch

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Deeter,

I'm with the recommendations above.  Set your brace height to your manufacturer's recommended height, set your nocking point to 1/2 to 5/8 inches above square, AND SHOOT!!!!!

With only 3/4 weeks of shooting trad, you WILL drive yourself CRAZY trying to tune ANYTHING!!  And you will NOT be happy with the results.

Shoot what you have until you are grouping.  That does NOT mean hitting a bull's eye, that MEANS arrow going to the same place pretty much every shot.  You don't really care where the group is just that it is a group!

Once you can shoot groups, WITH WHAT YOU HAVE, THEN you will be ready to do some basic tuning.  NOT UNTIL!

This game is not like the C bow world and you will be less frustrated if you just learn the shot and THEN do some tuning.

Just trying to save you money, time and frustrations.

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:48:00 AM »
Thanks guys you all have been a big help and so has everyone else on this site.
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©