3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two Hills in One Day! (Pics Added)  (Read 181 times)

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
Two Hills in One Day! (Pics Added)
« on: February 14, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
So, the Hill bug got me after reading the thread and finding a stellar gentleman who graciously allowed me to shoot his Big Five (and he didn't even make me beg too hard).  I decided to go all-out and order one from scratch, to my exact specs, and so began the wait.  To be fair, 4-5 weeks is a very short wait, but it's a wait.  At the two week mark, I came upon one that I just couldn't live without and bought it, figured it would give me a chance to get used to it before the main event arrived.

I was expecting the interim bow tomorrow, but it arrived today!  So that was exciting.  Then I went to go check the mailbox, and what do I find, but a note from the post office saying they tried to deliver a package and I wasn't there, so come pick it up.  Who was the package from?  C. Ekin.  I held that little slip of paper in disbelief, like a winning lottery ticket.  I ordered my custom less than three weeks ago, there's no way it can be at my door that quick!  It's apparently taking a grand tour of the area in a USPO jeep today, so I can't get it until tomorrow.  This is alright in my book, since I haven't properly drooled all over my other new bow, which is quite drool-worthy in its own right!

Unless, of course, Craig sent me a fruit basket for Valentine's Day to thank me for being a new customer...  I'm going to guess it's probably my bow.

Won't get to shoot either of them until tomorrow, so I'll update with specs, pics, and how they perform at that time.  If I had to guess, I'd say I'll be the limiting factor in the performance category...

So a big thumbs up to Craig and company at HHA for being unbelievably fast.  If they can turn a bow that quick, I think we need to be sending them more work!      :thumbsup:    

Also, my order from Big Jim came today too, very promptly, meaning I will have arrows to shoot out of my new Hills.  So, off to do some fletching, thanks Jim!

Combine all of the above with the whiskey my wife got me for Valentine's Day, and today is feeling more like Christmas...

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two Hills in One Day! (Pics Added)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Sounds lika good day.  :thumbsup:
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
That delivery time is consistent with every bow I have ordered from Craig--never more than 3 weeks.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Congrats on the new bows! I'll be waiting to see your review.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Yep, Craig is topshelf!  

Always delivers quickly and always a quality bow..

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
The last new Hill bow I ordered from Craig over the telephone one evening. I sent him a check for the full payment the next day. I received an email from Craig on the 18th day after our phone conversation saying it was ready to ship....the bow arrived the next day. Beautiful Tembo with snakewood riser, silver elephant inlay and double tip overlays of snakewood and ivory.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Alrighty, now for the fun stuff!

Bow #1:

Robin Hood, 2011 Limited Edition HHA #25/50
- 4 Yew lams + 1 bamboo lam under clear glass
- Texas ebony riser, silver "Robin Hood" inlay
- String follow, straight grip, black elk laced wrap
- Mammoth ivory over Texas ebony tips
- 68~69", 60#@28"

I picked this one up used, one of those "Have to get it, even if I have to sell a kidney" type things.  That's why we're born with two...

Bow #2:

Bighorn Sheep HHA
- 4 Red elm lams under clear glass
- Texas ebony riser
- String follow, locator grip, no wrap
- No tip overlays
- 70", 50#@28"

This is my first custom bow that I got to pick all the fun options with, and chose to get it as simple and elegant as I possibly could.  Craig got everything 110% correct down the last detail, and had it on my doorstep it under three weeks!  And good luck finding another HHA Bighorn Sheep...  I asked when I ordered and was told they have made a few, but not many.  I wanted this to be a very unique bow, but not one that I was afraid to take into the woods for fear of scratching it.  I couldn't possibly be happier with it!

Regarding how they shoot...  Well, the Robin Hood shoots phenomenally.  Once I learn the trajectory, I hope to be doing very good things with this bow.  The forgiving nature of these bows is just phenomenal.  I had to royally screw up to get any left/right deviation in the shot, and I still never missed the paper.  Not once, no matter how bad I plucked!  I bought some carbons specifically for this bow because I was worried the learning curve would be too steep and I'd be breaking woods, but that does not appear to be an issue.  I've always wanted a bow that shot an 850 grain arrow and LIKED it.

I can't attest to the Bighorn Sheep, since I wasn't expecting it so soon, so I don't have any arrows that it really likes.  Major disappointment, but I'll live.  It'll look amazing on the rack until I get some woods on order to match.  It's got to be about the smoothest bow I've ever drawn though, with the 70" length and string follow.

As a final note, the silencers on the Bighorn Sheep are some type of exotic wool that's supposed to be waterproof.  I figured wool was very appropriate for this bow.  The best part?  They smell like a sheep.  Is it odd to spend a significant amount of time sniffing your string silencers?

Pictures!

Trying to show off the grain on the red elm...

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
In my opinion, red elm is one of the best limb woods there is. The Bighorn Sheep should be a great one for you.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Many of my bows are elm cores, I love it. Nice Bows!

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Great looking bows, thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
Great looking Hills. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
Wow!  Looks like you got yourself a couple of great bows!  Have fun getting to know them.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Great looking Hills. Thanks for sharing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©