3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Orientation of string on bow?  (Read 340 times)

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
Orientation of string on bow?
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:49:00 AM »
I've searched and can't find it, or really any mention of it. Maybe the search terms are just too common.

I have a longbow string with 1 small loop(fits snug on bow) and 1 big loop. The center serving is such that with the big loop on the upper limb tip the serving is lower than centered on the nock point and higher than centered on the grip/riser. With the big loop on the bottom limb the center serving is pretty well centered on the grip/riser, and the nock point is near the top of the serving.

Is there a standard or preferred orientation for the string?

It seems most often I see bows with the serving centered and the knock high in the serving.
Rick

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Orientation of string on bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
I have to confess that I can't visualize your description of where the serving is on the string.
But generally speaking you'll use the larger loop on the upper nock. That's the one you slide down the limb of the bow when unstringing.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Another way; the serving isn't centered on the string. 3" of serving is on the small loop side of center and 5" of it is on the large loop side of center.

I have had it with the large loop on the upper limb. I also shoot with the nock point above the arrow. As a kid I always had the arrow above the knock point.

Just odd little details I don't know and don't hear or read of.

Seems odd cause guys will argue for days about fletching orientation.
Rick

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:32:00 AM »
If it helps this is a Chad Weaver string on a Checkmate Crusader longbow.
Rick

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »
Wether you put the arrow above the nock point or below it is a matter purely of personal preference.
Serving is usually placed so there is less above the arrow than below. Above the arrow is only a finger, below it is two fingers as well as a bracer that may be hit by the string as it is released. Since the serving protects the string it makes sense to have more below the arrow.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:03:00 AM »
Either way there is plenty of serving for all my fingers. One way the arrow is in the top few inches of serving and the other way it's just a little above center on the serving.

More than likely it doesn't matter. But there is enough consistency between strings to lead me to believe it was done this way with purpose.
Rick

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »
I just read a how to on making a Flemish string by a Ron Harris. He says large loop on top and 2" of  serving above the nock point and 6" below it.
On my strings I can't have both. Either my strings are upside down or the center serving is. LOL!!
Rick

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
Could be your serving is not placed on your string correctly for that bow. Top loop bottom loop being larger is a personal thing. I made a string once that was off a little and my top finger was at the top of the string that caused it to unravel after a short time so make sure there is some clearance there.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
Yep, seems upside down to me.  Wouldn't be hard at all to just unstring it from the bottom limb, and wouldn't hurt a thing.  But it would bug me every time I did it. LOL
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Yes sir, the serving was put on upside down. I'd change the serving out....but that's just me.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
Yep.  I agree with Whip and Ric.  For an explanation, go back and read what Grey wrote.

Re nocking above or below the nock point, a personal preference thing. Howard Hill nocked above. It's a faster way to nock an arrow than nocking below the nock point.  However, the arrow will slide up the string and fall off the bow if you nock it and just hang the bow in a tree on stand, for example.  It won't do that if it's nocked below the nock point, unless the wind blows it off sideways.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
Yep, seems upside down to me.  Wouldn't be hard at all to just unstring it from the bottom limb, and wouldn't hurt a thing.  But it would bug me every time I did it. LOL
x4

Originally posted by Orion:
Yep.  I agree with Whip and Ric.  For an explanation, go back and read what Grey wrote.

Re nocking above or below the nock point, a personal preference thing. Howard Hill nocked above. It's a faster way to nock an arrow than nocking below the nock point.  However, the arrow will slide up the string and fall off the bow if you nock it and just hang the bow in a tree on stand, for example.  It won't do that if it's nocked below the nock point, unless the wind blows it off sideways.
I saw a slow motion video of a nocked arrow during release and it showed that the arrow slid down towards the center of the string.  Personally, I use two nocking points and nock in between.  If I only used one, I would definitely nock it above the point.

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Where did you get the string from? I have the same problem with my flemish twist I purchased from 3 rivers. There is just enough serving for my one finger above the nock so it's no big deal but it does look strange.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chesapeake:
The center serving is such that with the big loop on the upper limb tip the serving is lower than centered on the nock point and higher than centered on the grip/riser. .
I don't see a problem based on this info.  

This is one of those posts where a pic would be a big help.

Large loop on the top limb as has been stated.

Serving should be more below shelf height than above.  You have more fingers below and the lower serving is also there to protect the string from contact with your arm. Most squares also clamp more below than above so you need room for that.  More serving should be below the nock point.  

The center of the serving could be above or below the center of the riser.  It makes no difference where the center is as long as you have what you need for nocking, fingers, bow square, and sting protection.  The center of the riser could vary depending on bow design and how your are measuring. Are you measuring to some point on the grip or the distance from end to end of fade out?

Bows are different.  I had a string made for a bow and then sold the bow.  It was made to be just right for above and below the nock point for length needed without a lot of excess serving length and weight.  I sold the bow.  On a different bow I barely have room for top finger above the nock before the start of the knot. Works great shooting three under.  Two different bows the same length and at least 1” difference in where the serving sets in relationship to the shelf. From that, you can take that the serving being centered in the string is not necessary the correct location for it dependent on the bow.  

Honestly I have been shooting bows 40 years and could not tell you if  any string I have ever had was served with the center of the serving centered on the string or the  riser.  I just know how much I had above or below my nock point to do what was needed.  I have seen AMO strings with easily 2” more serving than needed.  Necessary if the maker is trying to cover all bases, but I see no need for a lot of excess serving and weight.  I order my sting now for a specific bow so I have no more serving than required.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Dont get me wrong. I'm not saying anything is "wrong" per se. Just different than what I usually see. Different enough that I had a question. This thread isnt an expedition looking to fix an issue. Its just me asking opinions about an obscure little detail I'm curious about.

I've been shooting this setup for a year or more and have no complaints at all.

The center of this bow seems to be very neer the deep part of the grip where the web of your hand is. The shelf is maybe 1.25 to 1.5 above center on the bow. Seems normal to me. This center point also seems very neer the center of the fades. Again, seems normal.

I'll take pics at lunch and post them up.

The strings were purchased direct from Chad specifically for the bow I'm using them on. Being he was a dealer of these bows I figured he was a good source of strings for it. His strings are very nice in my opinion. I havent seen too many, but his are easily the best I've shot or seen.
Rick

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
I have run into this with my last couple SBD strings. They WERE on the bow the right way but the serving was not long enough on the top. I nock at 5/8 and only had about a half inch of serving above that. Thought it was a fluke.  BILL

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Here is a good rule of thumb when serving. starting at the Center of the string go up 3.5 inches and down 4 inches should cover most bows.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I like to have enough serving above and below the nock that the bow square rests on serving both above and below.  If the bow square is resting on bowstring on one side and serving on the other, I don't think you're getting a true reading.  Since I make my own strings, I just put the bow square on the string before I serve it and mark about a half inch above and a half inch below the square, which tells me where to start and stop the serving.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 03:46:00 PM »
I'd just PM LBR and he'll take care of ya  :thumbsup:
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Pics!
This is with big loop on top limb.

And big loop on bottom limb.

Rick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©