3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Toughest wooden shafts ?  (Read 474 times)

Offline Bible5

• Trad Bowhunter
Toughest wooden shafts ?
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
What are the toughest wooden arrow shafts #55-60 range ? Also why are wooden arrow shafts sooo expensive ?  It seems like Easton aluminum shafts are only slightly more $ then woodies.

donenanaarrow  by  paul_m_weiss , on Flickr
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness" Psalm 45:6

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Toughest wooden shafts ?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
If you look at the process for making each I think aluminums are the ones that are too expensive. They can turn on a machine and fill a room with aluminums pretty quickly. But wood you have saw and split the bolts, then saw flitches, let them dry and season them, then run them through a molder/doweler, sand them, grade them, spine them, weigh them....after all this you have about 50% waste through this process that takes months.
Oh then the shaft manufacturers have to pay the excise tax on each shaft that is about $.40 (as I recall)!!! While the carbon and aluminum manufacturers have to pay this tax also it is a much smaller impact on their bottom line than for wood shaft manufacturers. Once again gov't making it easier to do business...NOT!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
I will answer the question on why wood arrow shafts are so expensive.  As arrow shaft manufacturers we must pay the Government a Federal Excise Tax (FET)on every dozen we sell except kids shafts.  That fee is $5.52/dozen.  That is passed on to you and every arrow maker.  That Tax is the same on wood, carbon or aluminum.  Thanks Surewood Steve
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline Bible5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the answer..that really stinks!  I suppose the Govt would tax the air the arrows use to spin if they could! I haven't had to think about buying shafts for awhile that's what is bringing this to my mind. So I still like woodies and I enjoy the creativity off making my own arrows. Those in my pic look pretty nice to me !  But again, What are the choices for the strongest (least likely to break)shafts in the #55-60 range ? I've heard of polished bamboo, laminated birch, laminated fir but I've only used cedar so any expert advice would be greatly appreciated.
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness" Psalm 45:6

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
strongest I've used is ash.
They could really take a beating.
They were a pain to keep straight though...may have been a couple bad batches...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
I shot cedars for a while and got tired of retappering them because they broke behind the head.  I wwnt on the search for the perfect shaft for me (straight, nice weight, strengrh and most importantly had to have nice looking grain when stained)  I settled on douglas fir from Surewood.  Gave me everything I was looking for and then some.

Hopefully that helps you.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
I footed some douglas fir with osage up front and they seemed indestructable.......
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Ash and Hickory are extremely tough and if you buy top quality they can stay pretty straight too. By far the best compromise today is Doug Fir-IMO. Pretty tough and straight-and stays that way. I always recommend buying the best wood available, after all arrows are the most important part of your kit.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Maple is the toughest I have ever used. However, Ash and white birch are extemely durable.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Toughest I have shot have been tapered ash and Don Stokes SuperCeeders(Magnolia). Thinking about trying some Surewood shafts this summer. I hear they stand up to the rigors of hunting and stumpin.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
I haven't managed to break a poplar yet.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »
Sometimes I think that wood shafts are expensive, but then I think about what it would take for me to make my own shafts. Would I rather order a dozen for ~ $40, or locate a fir/spruce/cedar tree, cut it down, split into shafts, etc.? For me the answer is simple.

I haven't tried any hardwood shafts yet, but I've often been surprised by the durability of Douglas fir and sitka spruce. I've had plenty of direct tree impacts, and glancing hits without breaking my arrows.

Zane

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
As usual; a mixed bag....   :)   I have very good results with Sitka Spruce. They seem very strong and are easy to straighten, probably due to the long fibers.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
double post  :banghead:
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Hickory and ash, and birch, heavy and tough arrows.
Great Northern Firball 65@28
63' Hoyt Pro Hunter 49@28
74' Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@28 (my wife claims its hers now lol)
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28
70s ? Shakespeare Necedah 50@28

"Fast is nice, but accuracy is everything"-Wyatt Earp

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
Spruce is way tougher than cedar.

Spruce is siad to be stronger than Douglas fir though I can't confirm that as I've never dealt with fir.

Spruce is nowhere near as tough as ash....
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Don't forget for the primitive archer, dogwood and river cane are almost unbreakable.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Nice thing with the Surewoods, is there is a gentleman here that builds quality arrows...

Snag is the man.

wildernesss custom arows

:thumbsup:

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Hickory is the toughest I have found.  You end up doing a lot of straightening.  I like the toughness of laminated birch.  Makes a good stumping arrow, but almost every arrow in my shop is doug. fir from Surewood.  May not be the toughest but makes a real nice arrow.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
The toughest wood shafting is by far the hardwoods like hickory, ash, laminated birch, and others the downside is they are usually way to heavy for bows under 50# to shoot without a rainbow arc and they can be hard to keep straight. A good compromise is bamboo or river cane with a hardwood point foreshaft or douglas fir.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©