3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: VPA 2-Blade  (Read 428 times)

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
VPA 2-Blade
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
So, I just bought some 200 grain VPA Penetrators from the classifieds. I was really excited to get them, but when I opened up the package, they were tiny. I've had the Tusker Aztec which are only 1/4" wider but seem to dwarf the penetrators.

What are you guys thoughts on the 2-blade VPA?
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: VPA 2-Blade
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
I am curious about this myself. I have been considering taking those heads to Africa.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
I have 6 of the 175 grain Penetrators, they fly very well for me and take a great edge on my KME broadhead sharpener. I havent taken any game with them yet, but I believe the main purpose of these heads is to get two holes on large/dangerous game.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
When I received my package of the 175's first thing I thought was man these are a smallhead. As stated above they do sharpen very well. I only shot one deer with them this year and had a complete pass through with the broadhead buried in the tree behind it. It was a good blood trail but it was a good shot, the deer only went 60yds and killed over. I do wish they were wider as well, but I think they are a quality head that will penetrate as good as any other head if sharp. That is my limited experience with them.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
In short (pun intended)

They are stronger being shorter.

We'v done a bunch of broadhead testing on buffalo the last few years and found the Shorter - Smaller heads to be a lot more durable. Considerably less prone to tip curl.

The structural integrity deceases with length, and the increase in leverage in the long heads compared to the shorter heads, means they are simply much easier to bend which =(tip curl - snapping and adapter's bending)

"take a 30" arrow shaft and a 10" arrow shaft and see which bends the easiest"

The Guys at VPA recognized this before I could show it in testing, and already moved to making the Bigger heads "shorter". And now The original 300gr 2blade has been reduced to the length of the 250gr 2blade, the extra weight was made up by increasing blade thinness. Thank you VPA!

One concern and Idea that is common is that the Longer head penetrates much better then a shorter head due to its reduced angle and the difference in its mechanical advantage. However, this is Not the case in testing, there is at best a "marginal" increase in penetration at the best of times, BUT *here is the table turner*, that is only the case if the head does not bend "tip curl" you go from "marginal penetration gain to hugely reduce penetration" Enough to cost more then a few friends and clients there buffalo, with the longer heads on the market.

The fact is the strength gain and reduction of tip curl in the shorter heads, outweighs the marginal penetration gain a longer head may offer when it stays strait.

So use with Confidence Shane, they are bomb proof.

Iv been using the Tiny VPA 150gr 2blades on hogs out of the longbow and you should see those things Zip through big boars.

Good luck.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
That's interesting Andy. I used a STOS on my Moose last year. Hit him thru chest 1st arrow. He ran a ways. I was able to get up on him again on my way out. (Was going to leave him a bit - he just turned from where I thot he went) Shot him again but hit the shoulder. He took a few steps and tipped over. After retrieving the broadheads both tips had curled and I had beveled them!
Back to 3 blades this year.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
Andy is right on. I don't think there is anyway to curl these heads. I have only shot 1 animal with them. A good size Muley doe. She was slightly quartering to me at 20 yards. I hit her a bit forward and center punched her front leg bone. It isnt as heavy as a moose, but ive seen leg bones ruin plenty of heads. The arrow passed through leg bone and exited through the ribs. She didn't go far and the head was in perfect shape.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I have some and have not killed with them yet. I too wish they were wider, not necessarily much longer. As most know, a well shot whitetail will run 100 yards in seconds and with those narrow widths they might not put down enough blood. I plan to test them this fall and on hogs maybe this spring or summer. As Andy said they appear bombproof and super easy to sharpen.

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Yeah, it's not so much that I'm worried they won't penetrate but more that the exit wound/blood trail will suck.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »

This is what most of the blood trail looked like with the deer i shot. Ive had more but Ive had less as well. Zipped right through it. This is my limited experience.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
Andy has done a lot of testing with the heads. I have not shot any of their two blades but if they are half as good as the 3 blades you won't have any problems.
James Kerr

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
So are they about the same size as a Silver Flame now? Which is a proven killer

Offline shedhunta

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
They are same size as a silverflame 150 and built like a tank!!!
Toelke whip 2 piece.  58" 50@28"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
This is the result of a 250 grain 2 blade VPA going length wise through a bison.  Sure, it looks better on snow, but I'm thinking I could have followed it on dry ground pretty easily.    ;)  

I haven't tried it, but the way these things are built I just imagine what it would take to curl the tip on one.  I doubt that a concrete block would do it!  They are an extremely well built head!

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
So the new head is still 1 1/8" wide?

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 03:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by screamin:
So the new head is still 1 1/8" wide?
Yep 1-1/8"  :thumbsup:

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
VPA two blade 200 grain broad head brought this guy down. 9 yard shot pass thru using a Toelke Super D. Went in behind his right ribcage, came out just behind left shoulder. A slight quartering away stance.

DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!!!!

Code: [Select]
 [IMG]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii498/tzolkosky/Super%20D/2012-10-13_09-46-31_983-1.jpg[/IMG]
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline wigeon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Does anyone use the KME knife sharpener on these?

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
I use a file.  Wicked scary sharp.  But love the way they fly.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by wigeon:
Does anyone use the KME knife sharpener on these?
I use the KME broadhead sharpener, but I don't see why the knife sharpener wouldn't work fine as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©