3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The feel of an ol friend..  (Read 163 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The feel of an ol friend..
« on: February 16, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Today I had hung up my Recurve to concentrate on my longbow. I "rotate" my bows meaning I shoot a deer, or Turkey with one and then I go to the next until I shoot something with it, and then I go onto the next one ect.....

As much as I love my recurve, I just seem to shoot my longbows better. I put on a new string,  beaver balls, as I grip the beavertail grip and shot that first arrow out of her after 3 years, It was like having an old friend back. The sound, the feel of the grip all felt great.
All I had to say is, "welcome back old friend"   :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The feel of an ol friend..
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
When I first got into shooting traditional I only shot recurves.  I remember saying I just don't like the look of longbows. Well....that didn't last long. lol.  It all started with me taking a bow building class.  It was all down hill from there.  For me the romance is there when I shoot a bow that I made myself.  I mostly shoot a takedown R/D longbow.  It just "fits". I sold my curve not to long ago. lolol

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by D:
When I first got into shooting traditional I only shot recurves.  I remember saying I just don't like the look of longbows. Well....that didn't last long. lol.  It all started with me taking a bow building class.  It was all down hill from there.  For me the romance is there when I shoot a bow that I made myself.  I mostly shoot a takedown R/D longbow that I made. It was my first try at a takedown and my first glass bow.  It was  It just "fits". I sold my curve not to long ago. lolol

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
hahaha Well I tried to edit my post and evidentelly I clicked the quote button. lolol sorry for the sort of double post.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by frassettor:

Everyone I believe has a "romance" with one or more of their bows, lets hear about yours    :campfire:  
Mine is the opposite of yours.  I keep coming back to a Browning Explorer 62" recurve that just does it all for me.  Fast, quiet and accurate.  I've taken three deer with this bow and put it aside to use others but it just all comes together with this bow.  

Long and heavy, I try shorter, lighter bows at times, and they are good as well, but just not in that sweet spot the Browning occupies.

But bows ain't like wives and we can keep several around at the same time to satisfy all our needs.  Life is good!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
I love them both. I rotate mine as well during hunting season. You have to or they will get jealous! Haha.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline 1screagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
I'm gonna admit I have tried to determine which I prefer most. After more than 10 years of careful observation I have come to the conclusion I love them both equally as well. It is more frustrating trying shoot only one or the other and denying myself to enjoy the attributes of each. They are very different in the way they shoot and feel. This past year I have been hunting more on the ground with my longbows and feel this is what I love while hunting afoot. 66" 61#@28". I favor my 56" 61#@28" recurve when hunting from tight spots or tree stands. I can use the same arrows and enjoy picking the right tool for the job. Either one will work for most situations. I don't go thru separation anxiety anymore as I do pratice with both and still love them equally as well.
3 Wes Wallace Recurves,
2 original Mentors & 1 B-Model Mentor
3 Wes Wallace Longbows
1 Dwyer Defiant "Legolas"

www.stoneartistllc.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©