3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Instructions/videos for Instructors  (Read 130 times)

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
Instructions/videos for Instructors
« on: February 17, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
I live in a very large neighborhood of about 2500+ homes and I believe around 8000 people.  We have a nice archery range and with a little archery club that runs it.  Our club has a handful of shoots thru out the year, some for kids and some for adults.  There seems to be a big and growing interest with the kids to learn archery.  I keep running into people who tell me they got their kid a bow or their kid really wants one.  With the time change getting closer I was thinking about advertising some free kids clinics this spring.  I have never really tried to teach anyone to shoot.  I am very knowledgable and could pull it off just fine.  Makes me think though there might be something available out there to help instruct the instructors.   Any ideas?

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Instructions/videos for Instructors
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
Brazos,

I run an intramural archery program at my school using the NASP(National Archery in School Program). Instructor training is run through the state department of natural resources.  I know this program may not pertain to your situation, but the shooting principles and range safety of NASP may be helpful. A quick web search will provide info on the 11 Steps for Archery Success, and range safety rules.  Range rules are paramount to ensure safety and organization for the number of archers you may encounter. Local outdoor and conservation clubs may provide information as well.  Good luck with establishing a program.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Brazos.

This will be a GREAT project and will be very rewarding!  HuronArcher gave some good advice and NASP/ASAP provide a good starting place.  I'd also recommend that you check out USA Archery  http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Archery.aspx

Look at their "certification" tab and the "programs" tab on their website.  If you complete the Level 2 instructor training you will be able to train more Level 1 instructors AND you will get good instructor fundamentals and a set of tools to guide you along the way.

Having a "roadmap" and techniques to use make setting up a program and to start training archers is invaluable.  I found that just because I felt myself to be a pretty accomplished archer, Until I took instructor/coach's training, I did not have most of the tools I needed to be effective.

Thanks for considering taking this on, many people in your community will benefit from your efforts!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
I do the same sort of thing as Huron archer, same training.  I have also found the Masters of the Barebow series good.  The third one has some good instructional pieces for you.  Moebow has some very good videos on youtube that I show my students as well. I also show my students some of the segments from the first two Masters series.  It gives them a break from shooting during the practice, and hearing someone else besides me emphasize form and follow through is good.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I will go and look at the leads you gave me.  I need to sit down with a notepad and develope my training strategy.  Moebow's videos will be a great go to.  I have watched them before but never took notes.  

I have noticed on our league nights most new, and many older archers gather around me and ask questions.  The difference between me and them is that I know and understand how & why bows do what they do.  I know these things because I shoot traditional.  It doesn't take long to watch and figure out where people are messing up.   Most people just buy a compound, sight it in at the shop, and never understand the fundamentals of the bow.  Nothing against compounds.  I used to have one and  soundly beat everyone when we had shoots.  In fact they outlawed me from competition.  The difference was I also shot a longbow and understood form, arrow spine, grip, etc.  I want to pass this knowledge on to the next generation.  It's great these parents are getting their kids bows.  It's unfortunate they don't know the first thing about shooting one or own one.  Maybe I can get the parents shooting to.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©