3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how to apply imitation snakeskin backing?  (Read 157 times)

Offline Bible5

• Trad Bowhunter
how to apply imitation snakeskin backing?
« on: February 17, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Just got my imitation snakeskin cloth backing from Kustom King. Any tips or tricks on apllying it?  It's going to go on my old Nirk Woodsmen recurve. I assume I lightly sand the back and use Titebond 3 but other then that I have no idea. Any tips or tricks would be gretly appreciated
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness" Psalm 45:6

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to apply imitation snakeskin backing?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
I have done these a couple times. I scuffed the limb faces good with some 400 sandpaper. Cleaned with alcohol after. Then soaked the cloth skins in warm water for just a minute. Squeazzed out the water,then patted dry with paper towels. They are still damp,but no water in them. Then I spread Titebond on the limb surface. A fair amount,just before it starts to run over the edges of the limb. Keep it even tip-to-butt. Then I applied the cloth. Working it into the glue so the glue actually comes through the cloth. Get everything in position where you want it,make sure there are no creases,air bubbles,etc. And let it sit overnight. Then CAREFULLY trim with a NEW razor blade. Use more than 1,and go slow so you don't catch you glass in the limb. I just real light sand them with 1000 grit just to knock down any glue boogers. Spray with Minwax or just leave the way they are. They look pretty good when done. The edges are where you can have a fabric fray issue if you don't use a REAL SHARP BLADE or 10. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Timberking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Cool, I want to do this to my longbow. I'm gonna have to pick up some and get er done. Sounds easy enough.
Timberking }}}——————>

Offline Bible5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
thanx so much thats answers my questions.will post pics when done
"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You love righteousness and hate wickedness" Psalm 45:6

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:29:00 PM »
I did similar to Bible5, except I didn't wet the cloth, and used tru oil followed by deft satin finish on one. Think I just used straight deft on the other. I should note I was applying straight to wood (composite/self bow, no glass). I could see where having the cloth damp could be benificial. Be careful sanding the cloth though, if you get too aggressive, you can leave light spots.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Safari Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
I have limbsations on one but interested to see how the cloth turns out. Looking forward to those pics!

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Sounds really nice.  Any pictures of the finished limbs?

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Don't use barge cement as the yellow color bleeds through the fabric.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©