3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Heavy Hunter arrows  (Read 222 times)

Offline PERUN

• Trad Bowhunter
Heavy Hunter arrows
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Who of you uses a heavy hunter arrows from BearPaw. What do you think about them
Perun hybrid 62" 60#@29"

Offline S.C. Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heavy Hunter arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
I have not tried them yet but shoot the regular GT trads and also shoot wood. I like the fact the heavy hunters have the weight built in already but they are expensive. I can get some nice custom wood for that kind of money.
USMC 82-86

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I like them, shot deer & two turkey with the 500's 590gr this season & haven't broke one yet.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Perun,
This question gets asked every little bit.  I asked it a few months ago.  From the usual lack of responses, it seems that few people actually use them.
Wish I could help you.  I'd like to give them a try myself.  May try to order some this summer to fool with.
Good luck, if you get some, please post up a report.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
I should add the ones I got are great quality, fit, finish & components. I read in a review that the insert fit in some of the early shafts wasn't good, but mine fit true.

They are also the best looking wood grain finish I've seen on a carbon, I used ex-fine steel wool & removed the label & they look even better. imo

I like to shoot 125gr-150gr broadheads & I'm not into extreme FOC,

These shafts will get you to the hunting weight arrow you need, 590gr for my 28.5" 500's with just the stock 50gr insert and 150gr broadhead & I like that about them.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
RLA,
Did you find that the spine was accurate compared to Gold Tip Traditionals?
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
These were the first GT shafts I've tried. Shot mostly CX & Easton before these, but they seem on par, spine with other 500's I've tuned.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:08:00 PM »
If I was going to africa orsomething like that I would certainly consider them im sure they are of exellent quality and I have the highest respect for Byron ferguson. But to me they are overkill. Imho.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
They are too expensive for many archers, that is probably the reason you don't get answers. I find them expensive too. I am more on the level off Big Jim Blems.... :)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline ArrowPlane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
I bought some from Big Jim, he's got the 320s on sale for a more reasonable price.  Those inserts are just monstrous!

I haven't put them through their paces fully yet, but I have bounced them off a few things with no harm but a lost nock.  I haven't spine tested them, but they seem on the stiff side.  Out of my 65# Hill, it took 300 grain points to get them straight at full length.

It's alright though, I feel very manly sending a 850 grain arrow downrange and seeing the foam critters rock back and forth from the impact.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©