3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Feathers or 4  (Read 415 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Feathers or 4
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:22:00 PM »
What is the advantage or lack thereof to 3 Feathers vrs. a 4 Fletched arrow?
Blessings,
Steve

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Feathers or 4
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
I like to use four 4" feathers.  I can get two 4" feathers out of a full length feather so I can fletch 1 arrow with 2 full length feathers.

With four feathers I don't even look to see if I have cock feather in or out.  I think I can get away with lower profile feathers too.  

Thats my take on them.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:44:00 AM »
The only advantage I know of for three fletch over four fletch is a few fps of speed. A lot of advantages to a four fletched arrow, some of which were mentioned above. I really don't know why four fletch arrows aren't more popular than they are.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 02:11:00 AM »
I like the stability of a 4 fletch arrow, but I've had trouble getting riser clearance like it get with 3 fletch
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
Pretty much a matter of preference, as far as I know.  A little simple math shows that between the two more popular setups (3 five inch fletch vs. 4 four inch fletch on an arrow) you get a little more surface area of feather on the four fletch arrow (3 X 5 =15 linear inches of feather vs 4 X 4 =16 inches).  

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
try them both, I did and I picked 3 fletch. good luck. plus it costs a little more to put four on.  :)  I have a friend on here who shoots with just two. Traxx are you around??
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
I am a four fletch man.  The only downfall I have encountered.... slightly more cost.  See what works for you.
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »
I like 4 fletch.  I can use smaller size and not worry about ..... well, what Scott said.    :knothead:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
Much easier to get two 4" cuts from a full length feather... die cut guys are out of luck!  ;)  

Added stability is always a plus...yeah I know, "if the arrow is tuned, blah, blah, blah".
Stability helps once the arrow is past the bow as well. Like in wind or encounters with light brush or grass.

Stability means penetration!!!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Vig.   this came up in another thread.  Can someone smarter than me do some research.  

It was pointed out that there is more linear inches of feather using 4 fletch, but I have to believe that due to the shape of those feathers, this is misleading.  

I am thinking that It is not the length of feather at arrow level that steers the arrow, but the stuff sticking up.  the area of the feather.  I believe there is ample more area using 3 fletch 5" than 4 fletch 4".  Anyone up to the challenge ?   Since they are not square or actual triangles, it is above my pea brain to calculate areas.

Weight comparison may not work, since the quill of the feather is probably heavier than the vane.  

How about a photocopy of a 5" feather and a 4" feather.  That way all feathers are the same thickness (weight) and place 4 4" feathers on one side of a balance and 3-5" copies on the other ?
Interesting
ChuckC

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I feel that 4 small feather gives me a little less sound, but plenty of stability.  Which helps when shooting at jumpy critters.   That said, most animals I've shot really didn't care too much how many feathers were on the arrow. . .lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©