3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nyc hunting...?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
nyc hunting...?
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
any of you guys live near/in new york city?  there is a slim chance i may HAVE to move there and i am terrified i will not be able to hunt/fish easily.  is there some sort of "easy" access to hunting that doesnt reqire a half day of driving? if the answer is no then please reply to this thread with excuses i can give (to a girl) on not living there....haha
live and die by shades of grey

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: nyc hunting...?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Tell her that you will get a nice apartment north of the city,and she can commute up to see YOU!!!!!

FYI, There are plenty of good places to hunt and fish north of NYC. I just don't see why anyone would want to live IN NYC   "[dntthnk]"
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mrfritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
NYC?  Are you married to this girl?  I lived close to Boston for a while out of my own necessity and my hunting career ended for four years. Think on the bright side, at least the Spanish traffic reports will come in clear.

Here's an excuse, "You're not worth it!"

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 08:12:00 PM »
its a career thing....believe me, living there is not on my "top 100 things i wanna do list"

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I am in Dutchess Co, like woodchucker & alot of people here commute to the city. Alot of great hunting around here.   Mike
Big Mike

Offline mrfritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
What do you do?.......Or what does she do?  I'm in east PA, close enough to NYC to get the jitters from it, but far enough to still hunt.

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Doug,
  I've been living in the north eastern part of NJ for the past 12yrs, I'm a 1/2 hr drive and $6 toll from NYC, my hunting grounds are on NJ state land (55min from me) there's actually alot of hunting land available to you in NJ & NY, while I did not get a deer this season, I did see quite a few along with a BIG black bear and one day a female black bear with 2 cubs, and a flock of turkeys. I don't know what you pay in rent or mortgage but if you move be prepared for $$$ along with high car insurance. I PM'ed you my phone # if you'd like more info.

Gene
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
no - how long of a commute is it to the city from your area.  also how long of a drive to some out of the way hunting.  is there some info on the web on the hunting areas or is it private ground?  

mrfritz - im in ohio and i get jitters from it. she works in fashion/retail industry....quite a couple huh?  plaid never seems to go out of fashion to me!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Doug, I sent you a PM Buddy

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Been in the surrounding area all my life.  Westchester and Long Ilsand has some good hunting and great fishing. recently Water Shed proeprties were opened up to hunters.
Further up in the Castskill and surrounding regions of up to 4 hr drive is great hunting.
You'll just have to buy a piece of property in what we call upstate. Tow things get accomplished.
1-   Hunting deer, bear, Turkeys, small game.
2-   Hunting deer, bear, Turkeys, small game.

Oh yea, you can get away from the girl.

You'll know if she truely loves you then she'll take the Hunters Safety class, then you can get away to Hunting deer, bear, Turkeys, small game twice aslong cause you'll have twice the tags.
It just might cost ya some plastic cards.
Could be a win win.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Heard there were coyotes in Central Park....nice and close, isn't it?

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 04:23:00 AM »
Its probably a little over an hour drive to Suffolk county on Long Island but theres some very good deer hunting out here.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
NYC is in view of some of the best deer huniting in Westchester Co. In addition you are very close to NJ and Conn...two extremly good deer states. The biggest problem is to get landowner permission if you want to hunt private land. In Conn. you can shoot a truckload of deer a year in the right places...just have to do your homework. The Catskills have beem mentioned and there are deer, bear and turkey to be had in just a couple of hours. It's not as bad as it sounds but I still wouldn't like living in the city. I lived in Brooklyn as a kid and Long Island as a teen. Both are good places to be FROM.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
I dont know if youve ever been in the Adirondacks, but If you havent it,d worth the drive,about 4 to 4/12 hours but theres lots of campsites available to the public and lots of rental cabins.Not a deer behind every tree but enough of them if you hunt hard enough, but thtas part of the reward.Also bear,turkey,coyotes tons of grouse and some snowshoe hare.Lots of public hunting land between NYC and the Adirondacks but for the experience the "Dacks" cant be beat in the East.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
Hey! What's With The NYC Bashing?...  :mad:  ...I live in the Bronx, just north of Manhattan...Can drive just over an hour in any direction and bow hunt my #&* off! New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania...Plenty of 3D shoots, trad and the like to keep me busy...Only thing is I gotta drive a ways to get there...

If your lady friend needs to be close to the city but you want to see cows when you look out your window a compromise is in order...

Get hold of some DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteers to locate hunting areas in above mentioned states.

www.delorme.com

PM me anytime......  mike  ......  :wavey:

Forgot to add I have a second home in the Catskill Mountains...Kinda helps knowing I can "get away" from the city now and then... ;) ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
My home is an hour commute to the city, some drive but most I think take the train. I have access to about 4000 acred with in 15-20 minutes of the house. 3000 is a club I belong to & 1000 private. I do some work for th farmers during the summer. making hay, repairing fence, or other odd jobs. I hunted Westchester for a number of years, but sadly it is not anything like it was 10 years ago. You can still shoot deer, but the quality has in my opinion gone way down. Mike
Big Mike

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
Doug, I believe you have un-read Private Messages.....

Click on the little spot at the top of the page that says "my profile"    :thumbsup:

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
like montauks said it all depends where you move to ny or nj the best thing about new york state is SUNDAY hunting!!Jersey has a ton of wildlife management areas with all the seasons they offer for a trad guy: EARLY BOW, REGULAR BOW, PERMIT BOW [rut],and JAN 1st until feb 17th this year[in some zones] WINTER bow. Plus there are enough trad gangers in this area to hook up with I'm sure to show you around!

Offline dougers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 05:28:00 PM »
thanks for all your replies and PMs.  i am used to being able to drive 15-20 min and hunt all i want in a several different places.  i am just worried my hunting trips will all turn into a weekend deal where i really cant scout that much and have to just wing it each time i go.  sounds like a little north is a little better compromise.  i'm deployed right now and wont be back till next fall, but just trying to get my ducks in a row now.  i'll start doing what i can now from here.  it isnt going to be easy leaving the bruisers here in ohio....maybe she will go for a coin toss!  thanks guys.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
There's great hunting close to the City!!!!!Public land: NY: Hudson Highlands State Park and Fahnestock State Park. both 1 hour from the City
and you can go on private land 30 minutes from Midtown ( w/ no traffic, of course!) in Westchester if you get permission
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©