3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: nyc hunting...?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: nyc hunting...?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
I live 53 miles north of NYC and have been comuting for 19 years. If i was single I'd live right in the heart of it. The hunting is great within a 90 mi radius mostly private land, that alot of people like to tresspass on. Stateland a little further north is not that bad but nothing like Ohio! You will have three problems. 1) parking your truck in NYC. 2) Parking it near a legal spot to hunt. and 3) All the hot girls in the fashion world in NYC you'll be to tired to get up at 4 am!

Offline HACKSAW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
I use to live in connecticut and would drive an hour over to duchess county. I believe the place was called birch mountain ski area. You would have to check in with a check in station early am and out at night. Shot a nice 8pt there with a wheel boy in the late 80's.
Good luck, try to make friends with folks who know folks who have deer eating landscape problems.
Hacksaw
" IN THE SPRING I STRUT "
 " IN THE FALL I RUT "

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
WHADDAYAMEAN LEAVE THE BRUISERS THERE IN OHIO?????

Buddy We Got Bucks Here In Southern N.Y. That Will Scare Ya Out Of The Woods!!!!!!!!!!   :scared:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 07:49:00 PM »
Amen Chuck! Doug, I hope you have a chance to come and take a peek at the Westchester bruisers that hang out in Martha Stewart's garden   :D
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Guess it was my post which was taken as bashing NYC?  Didn't intend it that way...was being lighthearted/jovial....sorry bout that.  I really did hear not too long ago about yotes in the park.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Don't worry, plenty of hunting and shooting with in 1/2 hour to 1 hour drive. I can tell you some great places to check out.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
I grew up on staten Island and I hunted NJ and PA most of the time with the exception of the random invite "up state"  I personally preferred hunting the NJ and PA Farm land as opposed to the Big Woods deer of NY that I rarely saw.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Doug, Just a little FYI.....

If you want a little peek at some of the Striped Bass swimming in the Hudson River.....Just check out Shawn Leonard's avitar pic!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
Stipers should be here in a few months...how many of you New Yorkers partake?
Doug, if moving to the city is a must, then there is plenty of land to play on. Just a matter of the "commute". I would advise checking out the Catskills....Hudson River Islands...worth the drive up this way.
Although I have yet to hunt Westchester, I have heard stories and seen some brutes in pics.
I guess it will be what you make of it...plenty of us here willing to show you around some though.  :thumbsup:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
I grew up in Queens and now live on Long Island.  I hunt Columbia County which is now a 2 &1/2 hour drive, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.  you can get an Access Permit, then the hunting tag from the DEP to hunt the Watershed Properties in the Southern Zone.  There very close to NYC, as they supply the water for NYC.  And there's the land as others have said as well, Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland, Sullivan Counties are all close, then Connecticut as well.

Long Island is tough though as there are very few landowners  who grant permission and the public lands are overflowing sometimes with hunters.
Hope this helps, and thanks for serving our country and protecting our freedoms.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©