3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but.....  (Read 425 times)

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but.....
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
Ok, just out of curiosity, this thread is in regards to stone points. I don't want to start an argument about the lethality of them. But I've always kind of had this possessive interest in them, even so far as of late I've purchased some spalls of chert and a bopper , and made some of my own pressure flaking tools.  Now see I live in New York, I've been told that stone heads aren't legal in New York by a few, I think uninformed or rather thinking individuals who know the law so to speak. Now just amongst friends here, I've read the regulations guide concerning arrow points as to whats legal in New York several times. It states," legal points cannot be barbed, and must be at least 7/8" wide". At no point in the regs does it state that the projectile point must be steel or metallic in nature. I'm asking for your thoughts on this. I'd hate to bring it up to a game warden, because we all know things can suddenly change if the "high uppers" get hold of something they don't know the answer to or don't understand. So I'm asking you for your thoughts on the subject. Not that I'm ready to make that jump right away in into hunting with stone heads right now but it'd be nice knowing weather or not I could. And also if you are a flint knapper if you would post some pics for us to enjoy that would be awesome! I enjoy seeing what some people create with just primitive objects. Or if you have some pics of what you've found that would be even better!! Nothing like holding a stone point in your hands that was crafted long ago, its like a direct link into our ancient past, as a way to gather around the camp fire with our ancestors from hunts long ago.
Great Northern Firball 65@28
63' Hoyt Pro Hunter 49@28
74' Bear Kodiak Magnum 45@28 (my wife claims its hers now lol)
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28
70s ? Shakespeare Necedah 50@28

"Fast is nice, but accuracy is everything"-Wyatt Earp

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm probably gonna get yelled at for this, but.....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
I would check the website or call your states DNR. Those little booklets they put out here are just basic general rules. Not much help I know but might be worth the hassle.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Talk to your DNR.  Better yet. . email them the question.  Don't get too wordy, just ask if stone points that fit the size and non-barbed description are legal.

Get the response.  Print it out, and put it into your fanny pack or quiver for in-the-woods info if a warden questions it.

ChuckC

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
I agree with magnus. Shouldn't be a big hassle to call your DNR and ask. I got in a pushing contest with our club president, a retired judge, over a baiting question. One of the girls in our club wanted to put a sack of carrots in the tree stand with her just for the scent. The judge said that was baiting by Michigan's DNR rules. The intent of the MI baiting rules was to prevent disease from deer rubbing noses while feeding on bait on the ground. I called the DNR and they agreed with me, that if the attractant was not available to the deer, it was not baiting.

The same DNR threatened to write up a trad hunter for carrying a flint knife, since MI law prohibits "double edged blades". Some persuasive arguments got the state law changed to exclude stone knives from the prohibition.

Worst case, if someone gets interested in further defining stone points as legal or illegal, it would at least get the issue out in the open and discussion might get them exempted.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »

But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Those are beautiful points Nathan!

Asking the game and fish dept will be the only way to get the correct answer.

Bisch

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
Nice work - work of art and looks deadly!

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Our discription in Iowa is pretty much the same.  I made an obsidian head.  It came out with quite wide conical dished cutting edges. It was so sharp that I kept nicking myself tieing it up to the arrow I put it on. I sealed the arrow up with laquer and sprayed the feathers with Scotch Guard. Did some target practise at a floating pop bottle in shallow water, it flew good. I showed it to the game warden and he thought it was perfect.  Then come deer season, a medium 8 pointer came by and gave me a nice shot.  I drew back my pignut longbow, totally blew the shot, missed and lost my arrow.

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Nice looking arrows there bud! Ya I'd like to ask, I guess I should although I did research it on the DEC website, (its called the department of environmental conservation here) and like I said they're not specifically saying it has to be metal, they're more stern on barbed heads. Pavan, maybe I'll try what you did if I can ever produce something worthy, make up an arrow or to and show it to a game warden and see what he has to say. Cant hurt.
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I have hunted with them in NY. Its completely legal as long as they are wide enough and not barbed

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks skip! Any luck with them?
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »
They are legal as long as they meet the aforementioned criteria. Youd be amazed at how much help a game warden will give if you only ask. The miserable ones dont last long and the good ones take their job to heart. If they dont have an answer to your question, they'll get you one. Good luck with the points.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChuckC:

Get the response.  Print it out, and put it into your fanny pack or quiver for in-the-woods info if a warden questions it.
ChuckC
Very good advice   :thumbsup:  
I do the same when I'm going out of state for falconry. Sometimes the wardens themselves aren't aware of the correct answer. Having the answer/permission from their agency printed out for them to see saves a hassle and usually alot of time.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
I come from a long line of enforcement- so I have nothing but highest respect.  However, the Law enforcement officer can only quote the written statute. The final interpretation of a particular act occurs in the courts, not with an officer's determination or even a written citation.  If the written statute does not prohibit it- just be ethical.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
i have been doing some practicing. now all i need is some rivercane to make some arrows up for next season.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
They are legal in New York, just follow the general rules as to being barbed. If it looks like your average 2 blade your good to go!! Have fun!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline RunninWild77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 06:03:00 AM »
Arrow30 those are sweet looking, thanks for all the helpful responses guys!
71' Bear Grizzly 40@28

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
My brother MarK used this head for a pass through on a 170 class whitetail. The head was made from Kentucky flint by Don Gilson from Mich. The arrow still had enough momentum to break after hitting something hard on the ground. Mike

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
I "glued" a set on with pitch.  I gobbed it on the bottom of the head so it couldn't even come close to being barbed.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©