3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaska on the cheap  (Read 475 times)

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Alaska on the cheap
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Hey guys my self and my hunting buddies have been talking about doing an Alaska trip a DIY type gig for anything we can get tags for I am not very well versed on the process for getting tags in Alaska as some of it seems pretty complicated, any info would be put towards a trip done in honor of the guys who paved the way for us
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaska on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
For caribou, moose, deer, black bear you can buy over the counter tags plus the hunting license at any time, even after season opens.

The catch is that not all units are open to non-residents and some are draw only which is over for 2013 hunts.  

Download the regulations to check unit by unit.  While the new regs come out July 1, the old ones should be very close.

Offline Iron Man2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Nothing is really "cheap" in AK...however, you can really save plenty by chatting with locals, plan to camp versus hotels and if extended trips, I rented an RV.

Like LKH mentioned, on the tags, and also if the rules have not changed, you can buy one tag and and be able to use for lower ranking game, i.e., I bought a Bou tag, still use for a black bear if I did not kill a Bou.

Also, there are limited outfitter deals such as hiring a pilot/outfitter to drop/pkup your group for a tundra caribou hunt or a river hunt, etc.

My 2 centavos,

JL    :archer2:
W/training wheels: Mathews 70# @ 28.5"
Advanced: Black Widow GB 53# @ 30
Master in Training: Archery Traditions Bambou Hunter 68" 57#
No matter how you slice it...it tastes that much better when it was earned the hard way.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
The biggest cost all deal with transportation.
Very little easy to get to hunting.  Even though it is a lot farther the cheapest might be the Dalton Highway.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Having been up 9 times and going on my 10th trip this year for caribou, I have to agree with Macbow. Transportation is the biggest expense. I had a crusty old AK big game guide tell me long ago that the harder it is to get to a location and the harder it is to say the name of the place the better the hunting. It is very true! The lower 48 perception is that Alaska is over run with game and you can step off the airplane and kill a moose. In reality, AK is huge and only a relatively small portion of it holds huntable game populations. It's all about the research and that is VERY dependent on species. You can do a POW road hunt for Sitka deer or black bear relatively cheap or you can spend a bit more for an air taxi and get into caribou or moose.  Once you drill down to your desired species let me know and I might be able to help.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
My plan this year is to stow away in Terry's baggage.  I will let you know how that goes.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Hey Charlie, I thought about that too, but Terry would notice the extra fee for an over weight bag!!!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
Not so sure about that Sean, we would leave his Doritos and Mt Dew at the dock.     :rolleyes:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Alaska and cheap aren't often used in the same sentence, but you can sure do a DIY hunt with a little help.  You can get over the counter tags for almost anything except for a few guide required animal species.

Homework as to flying services and units/ species you might want to hunt for etc all require your attention, and in a state this large getting on the good side of a local is always a good thing.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the haul road hunt is that you have to be IBEP or equivalent certified.  The cert is also required for any bowhunt specific areas you might go for.   You can use your bow anywhere you want to hunt but you are in the mix with everybody else as far as weaponry.   If you decide to try for the haul road DIY and not do a fly in I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.  I spend 3 to 4 weeks there every year, filling the freezer.  You can PM me for my email if you wish,,,,,,,Bill

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
I have went on DIY hunts in AK three times, moose, brown bear (have a brother who lives in Juneau), and moose.  The first in 1999 I spent just over $2,200 for everything from Montana and back.  Last fall the cost was right at $5,000, of which $4,400 was for air travel and processing/transporting meat.  Could have saved $700, or spent an additional $700, if I had donated the meat or hadn't had a hunting partner who wanted half of the meat and split the cost getting it home.  Regardless, every trip was worth it.  The three keys I have found for any extended distance hunt are:
1.  The DECISION to go on the hunt, choosing your hunting partner, and determining the date.
2.  RESEARCH for where, for species, game density, management areas, and flight services.
3.  Most important COMMITMENT! Unwavering Commitment to make it happen, regardless.  Excuses for canceling and/or postponing always arise. It never fails, it a has happened on every one of my trips.  There are always. numerous, legitimate,  reasons for the hunt not to happen, you just have have to want it...... enough.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Thank you for all the responses so far fellas! Look forward to hearing from me because I will be wanting to pick your brains I think we have it narrowed down to moose or bou, or both if we could swing tags for both in such an area that would allow it plan on taking 4 guys that way we could team up thanks again! Drew

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »
Was doing a little research And came across a thread on another site regarding the impact of hunters on aATVs, how big of a problem is this becoming across the state and if it is what are some of the areas where a guy can go 2 weeks without seeing someone else besides his hunting buddies, I have to deal with slob hunters here at home last thing I want to do is travel 2 days to "the last frontier" ad run into that crap

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
That COMMITMENT comment is so true, Walt. Especially as the departure date looms. So many reasons not to go at the last minute.
Travelling any distance to hunt should be seen as doing it for a reasonable cost, not cheap. Knowing what to pay for and what to skimp on would be critical, especially in a truly wild place.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
Drew,

Any reputable air taxi operator will not drop you in a spot that's accessible via ATV's in my opinion.  Remote is the key word to get what you are seeking.  If you don't want to see anybody else besides your hunting buddies during your trip you have to get remote.  That means logistics will be a large part of your planning.

First decide on your intended game (sounds like you have - caribou and moose).  Then decide where in the state you'd like to hunt.  The ADF&G has data that indicates where populations are good and healthy.  You may have to fly to Anchorage, then fly commercially to another town in Alaska, and then fly out of there with an air taxi.  You can have the type of hunt you wish for (to see no one else besides your buddies) but you have to work the problem.

I have been flying out with 40-Mile Air (out of Tok) since the mid-70's (sheep, bear, caribou, and moose).  If you opt for one of their Super Cub hunts they WILL NOT take you anywhere where you will run into someone else.  There may well be other air taxi operators that are as good but if there are I haven't found them.  Other folks may chime in with their recommendations.  

Here's the 40MA website:  http://fortymileair.com

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Thank you guys ! This is why this site is the best ! Everyone so willing to help one another.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »
Just out of curiosity how many have made the drive from the lower 48 I'm considering this due to the huge costs of flying meat home if successful was this cheaper than flying? Thanks guys
-drew

Offline Bill Sant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Drew,  I've driven the alcan 26 times now and if you are just doing it to save freight on meat it is a losing deal.  Last trip out in june, diesel was almost 7 buck a gallon so we could have flown to the lower 48 cheaper than driving.  We always drive because of the dogs going with us and I tend to like to have lots of my own gear with me.  If you do drive it, use the trip to see and visit Canada.  It is really cool and mirrors the rich pioneer spirit that you encounter up here.  Canadian people are some of the friendliest people you will ever encounter.  The other big plus is once you get up here and don't have to deal with rental places for your sightseeing.

As for the condition of the road,,,,,,well you will encounter some construction but it is nowhere as bad as it was a few years back.  It is almost all paved now so it won't beat you to death like so many people seem to think.  It takes me 3 days travel to get off the alcan, and a fourth day to get to the northwest from Anchorage, but I am a retired truck driver and think nothing of driving 15 hours a day.  If you are a 9 to 5 driver plan on doubling the 4 day travel time.  Feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions about your trip.  Bill  [email protected]

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
There's a guy known on other sites as Blacktail Bob ... He rents cabins up there and could give you a lot of advice re hunting Alaska. Very, very experienced Alaskan bowhunter.

http://www.blacktailbobsbasecamps.com/

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
26 times Bill, might be an award for that.
 Nothing cheap about driving the Alcan. Roads very good. Many of the gas station are no longer on the Alcan, Guy has to watch his gage more now then years ago. Was wondering about hauling meat across canada? Trying to send a bear hide to Bill. lets say its interesting????????  Gun laws have changed in canada again, Hope its easier to bring a rifle now.
 As Bill says, were a friendly bunch, If your going to drive, Let me know, lots of good fishing in my area
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline Olin Rindal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
Not saying it cannot be done but not seeing any one else in a 10 day hunt is getting harder and harder every year. This state is huge area wise but is very small when it comes to where the game is. Everybody wants what you want and they all seek out the very most remote places. I paid an air charter thousands of dollars trying to get away from everyone a couple of years ago. I was pretty much on the Yukon Territory boarder and thought I went further than everyone else but I didn’t and I saw about 10 other hunting parties. None of them where dropped by the air charter I used but, by private planes and other charters. You just have to shrug your shoulders because everyone is trying to do the same as you.
I would suggest trying for Caribou for your first trip. It should be cheaper than Moose and more manageable for a first time Alaska hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©