3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wingshooting with a bow  (Read 243 times)

Offline blakeschack5466

• Trad Bowhunter
wingshooting with a bow
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:46:00 PM »
Who on here does any wingshooting with their bow? I was thinking about trying for snows/specks next year.

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wingshooting with a bow
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
Went on my first pheasant hunt in January, it was a blast even though it was freezing cold with pretty hard wind. Only pulled feather once or twice. We have a late snow goose season going on here right now and I'm seriously considering trying to get out and give them a try.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
I enjoy it much more than with a scattergun.  I have hunted Canadian geese, ducks, pheasants and partridge.  Only one of those I have yet to kill is a partridge.  Hit one with a judo, and it just made it fly faster.  Use broadheads and flu flu arrows when hunting alone, and especially WITHOUT a dog present.  Ace hex heads are my choice when a dog is present.  ALWAYS got to think of safety.  Stabbing a dog with broadheads or field points just are not worth the risk of bagging a bird.  

If you are hunting pheasants, there is a point where they stop in mid liftoff to advance forward.  That is when you want to shoot.  Think of it like this and try it at home...Have someone throw up a football in the air, and as the ball is rising, throw a golfball at it.  See how close you can get.  Now do it again, but wait till the football reaches about 15 feet, and gravity overcomes the upward momentum.  The football will hang there for a second before making it's decent.  What do you think is easier to hit, a moving target or a stationary one?  But you have got to be quick.

As for geese, you will have to design your own way, but I like kneeling down hunched over covered in camo (to match what is there), right in the middle of where you have planned on the geese landing (according to your decoy setup).  Yes it is uncomfortable, but when their landing gear is set, and you have a football sized target at 15 yards or less coming right at you, the reward is worth the discomfort.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
I love shooting aerials and hunting birds with a bow.  By far one of the best things you can do with a bow.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
My advice for goose is:

#1 - Have a good dependable guy backing you up with a shotgun.  Geese are tough.

#2 - Use the largest broadhead you can shoot accurately - see #1

#3 - Get them as close as you can.  I do most of my chasing body booting and have the geese try land almost on top of you.

I winged this one on my fist attempt at them and the shotgun backup finished it off but one day I will get one without the help.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »

Bagged a quail also on one of the hunts....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Not sure if these count.....

A bunch of boring bubble bees out of the air waiting on the propane man around my granddad's tractor barn....with a Clark's Broadhead creation... Here's a few pics of the ones, or pieces I could find....believe it or not, its easier to hit them than to FIND them!!!

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 02:30:00 PM »
When hunting wild pheasants with a dog in the midwest with a bow, it helps to have a dog that works very gently and close, so your shots come under 20 yards.  My best pheasant hunting dog was a cocker that stayed close and pointed. When I missed he thought that he needed to find and retrieve my arrow, but he insisted on ripping all of the feathers off of the arrow first. I used  rather heavy bows and blunts on regular cedar arrows.  With flu-flus I would only use broadheads and no dog.  It is possible to still get close shots after opening weekend, but you have to hunt alone and go into a stalking mode pace. The grand march across the field method that is common in South Dakota, will move a lot a pheasants, but will not produce the kind of shots a bowhunter wants. Back in my waterfowl hunting days with a bow, my favorite migratory birds were woodcock. I have one mounted that I shot with a 89 pound Big 5, just to commemorate the fun that I had hunting them. I still love to see woodcocks, but more from a bird watchers perspective.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
At least I know I ain't crazy bees are lots of.fun lol
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline blakeschack5466

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
do you guys get pass throughs?

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »

Offline DWilhelm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Great video Bruce.  I hope to go grouse hunting this fall and your tips will come in handy.

Thanks

Online Bowsey Wails

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Timmy P
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
Terry, you look soooo FUNNY without the ghillie hat! LOL
Tim
"I use no device to direct my arrow towards its mark, save my eyes and my will." Anthony Camera, aka Viper.
I'm not old school, I'm one room school house.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by blakeschack5466:
do you guys get pass throughs?
Not on geese in my experience.  Picture a pillow in front of a turkey breast......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©