3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your primitive set up?  (Read 397 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your primitive set up?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
Somewhere I have some better "equipment" pics....I'll search and see if I can locate a couple more.

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 12:05:00 AM »

My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Most of my bows are in the 60's to mid 70's for poundage, and mostly osage, but I've used just about anything I can get my hands on that will make a bow.   I have killed a couple deer with stone that I knapped, but really prefer steel.  I've used cane, dogwood, chokecherry, ocean spray, and various wood shafting over the years.  Kinda prefer pine right now, but I'm making up some new cane shafts this winter.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
Great pictures Mark and some great animals!!!!

Love that Vine Maple bow   :)  

:notworthy:        :notworthy:        :notworthy:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
All are welcome Dave!!!  Awesome pictures Mark, can you get a close up of your steel heads?  I saw the carnage that Jeff "Tippit" Springer did on a Spring Quebec Black Bear with one of his Tippit heads.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I have an 42 lbs osage that 4est trekker made in a bow swap a few years ago that I like to use this year for an antelope (if I draw the tag). I have a HBH I'm working on and a few staves I'm hoping to finish for the rest of the hunts this year.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
By "steel" I mostly meant store-bought.   I've always been a wood guy, so most of my creative energy is in building the bows and the arrowshafts.   I did kill a doe once with a trade point I made from a spoon, to illustrate to my bow-ed students at the time, that "sharp" was more important than brand.  

I also have some beauty trade points that Doug Campbell made and gave to me.   And I've done some stone on my own.  

As far as effectiveness I use a couple real rules of thumb for my hunting.  Sharp is important....and always try and shoot a set-up that will get you two holes, for bloodtrails.  Thats a pretty broad generalization, but if you do all you can to insure that those two things are covered, you will enjoy plenty of success.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Here's a pic of the "spooner" doe...as I like to call her.  

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 06:11:00 PM »
Here is hy herd of primitive bows at this time:

Here are a few self nicked arrows with trade points and some wild turkey feathers given to me by Guru.

The second from the left is your bow Sean, the next is now Izzys. The second to last is now Shawns

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Thats awesome Mark, thanks for sharing!!

Glen, Been shooting that bow quite a bit.  Nice and quiet, and smooth as silk.  I'll be shooting some bear greenies out of it for sure, and maybe my stone points!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©