3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY Elk hunt  (Read 200 times)

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
DIY Elk hunt
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Not sure what to ask but 4 of us are thinking about a diy elk and have never hunted hunt elk. What we are wanting to know is what kind of gear does a person need to have and what doesn't a person need? Any help would be appreciated...thanks

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY Elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
Plenty of good threads on this, but for start you need a good pair of boots and a light weight day pack, and maybe a good pack frame if you get lucky.  Beyond that it depends on how you plan to hunt, truck camp, pack-in, etc.

My first time, we truck camped and moved around until we found elk.  We got into elk on our third camp set-up.  For this style hunting you don't need anything different than most any camp/hunt trip.

I like to pack in for at least a few days, so the equipment list gets longer.  For this you will need a water filtration system, and good lightweight backpacking equipment.

Let us know how you plan to hunt, and I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
A lot depends on how you are wanting to hunt.

Are you gonna truck camp, where you can bring nearly all you want to, or are you backpacking in ?    Are you backpacking in a mile, or way back in there ?

Do you want to go chase them or find spots and stand hunt ?

Definately get some decent boots, worn in to your feet.  Where I go, you will be doing a bunch of up and down hill walking.  That puts different strains on your feet than street or stairs walking.  Makes for blisters.

For Colorado, I have gone thru a lot of changes, but I have gone away from Bean boots (my foot move around too much in them on the slopes), from heavy soled, vibram and the like boots (these feel great, but they tend to be a bit noisy and they get HOT).  

I now kinda like a classic hiker with softer, less aggressive soles.  I wear two socks, first a lightweight silk stocking, then a medium weight wool sock.  I have never had a blister form while wearing this combo.

In CO it gets warm during the early season.  OK,  hot might be a better word.  The sun is hot and the nights are not.  Cotton shirts and cotton pants work fine for me.  I carry a wool shirt or vest in my pack, plus lightweight rain gear.  I kinda like ponchos cause I can cover my bow as well.  I now use a Bison Gear Lost River pack for my own reasons.  I carried out half a boned out cow years ago in a Cabelas day pack (with a game bag inside and extending upwards).  That was not the most pleasant time I ever had.

I have had it freeze good at night, but not very often during the first two weeks of season (7,500 - 8,000 ft elevation).  It does chill right down after the sun sets though.  Have a decent hoodie jacket for camp wear.

Make certain you have a way to obtain water (and drink it. . lots of it).  Its important

I like to stop for the night at a kiss n park along the highway just past Denver.  That gets you a night at good elevation, to help acclimate.  Then give yourself a break the first coupla days hunting.

Others can add.

ChuckC

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
I'll be watching this topic with great interest.  It won't happen this year, but next year I'd like to spend 3 or 4weeks out west hunting elk.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
We do DIY hunts every year. We now concentrate on elk. Here is a DIY how to I wrote last year. It covers a lot of what you may be looking for.

Others also conributed to it with useful information.

Go fo it, it is easy.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=118711#000000  

Good luck

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Gil's thread is a must read!^^^^^^ covers a ton of good stuff.

Online anchorman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Will probably be back packing in making a base camp and go from there...

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Eric I am sorry you can't make the hog hunt. I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year it will be held again and we can meet.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
Gil, same here Buddy! This job has been a pain from the get-go! But its work...can be pretty slim pickins around here in the winter.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
You can't be faulted for that. You have to make hay when the sun shines. Next year hopefully. I almost had to bail too.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Kingsnake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 08:32:00 PM »
So jealous.....

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Pick up the book called "Backcountry Bowhunting" By Cameron Hanes it is a must read for anybody wanting to do a DIY hunt. There's tons of good info on everything from gear to conditioning!
Good luck!!

Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©