3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Heaven March 14-17th 2013  (Read 407 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Heaven March 14-17th 2013
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Just browsing through the hog placement pics and threads.  There is so much good info here.  Thanks to all the guys who took the time to put that together.
  I am heading down to Ray's in a few weeks with a friend.  We where down there last year in may and had a blast.  It being out first time hunting hogs it was a learning curve for sure.

This was the first day 2 hours into the hunt and boy was I siked.(HOGS)  This group didn't let me get close but I had shots at another group Saturday and missed.  Then Saturday night I got onto a group in the 11 acre field.  I made a sneak and got to about 15 yards and one gave me a quartering away shot and I took it.  I hit him and had blood but it petered out.  We had to wait till the next day to look and it was no luck on Sunday plus we had the 15 hour drive back to NY.    
  (Just before the sneak up to the feeder there is a deer in the middle of the pic.)
 I replayed that shot over and over and we found the arrow but no broadhead.  It looked like the arrow went right into the far shoulder so I am thinking it was a little far back.  Blood but no hog.
  This year I am hopping for good weather some hogs and some good company.  I switched my setup from muzzy's to shooting woodsmens and simmons land sharks.
  I am hoping for a redemption shot but most of all a good time (which I know will happen).
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Heaven March 14-17th 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Good luck. I am going down later in the year. I love that place.

Keep us posted on how you do.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
We just got back from a great hunt at Ray's. We've been there several times before and never seen the swamp with water like this time. 3-1/2" of rain in a short period of time quickly flooded the swamp. Many areas of the pines were also underwater.

Really cool hunting with all the drainages filled and lots of tracks on the muddy roads. The sounds of frogs was unbelievable in the evenings. Pretty special experience.

A fickle wind saved the lives of many hogs on our hunt as we all had close encounters. Good luck on your hunt!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Gumby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
My self and two of my buddies are heading down from Barrie Ontario to hunt the first week of March.
This will be our first hunt for pigs.
Can't wait to get there.
Good stories to follow I hope.
  :archer:    :archer:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
I will be your campmate for the week along with a couple of guys from Illinois. I have been there before and love the place. Ray is a great host and the pigs are there for sure. I hope to catch up with a tom turkey as well on this trip there. See you in 25 days!
Mike Davenport

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Good luck, find that big red sow I couldn't get a shot on.

If someone can't have a good time down there, they need to check for a pulse.

Dave
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
Wapiti glad to hear you are ready for a good time.  Can't wait for some relaxing hunting good food and good friends and even better stories.  

Looking forward to meeting you guys.
  Matt.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Good luck, at least you know what to expect!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Great story Gil, you had me laughing pretty hard when you scared ol' Ray at the table.  Good times lol.

When we where down there last year Ray said they were doing a "controlled burn" (it's in the Yankee Dictionary).  We pulled in to the camp and we see some smoke on the left side of the road as we drove into camp.  
  No big deal. In to camp we go get thing situated in camp come back out to get the run down of the place and see this.

Pic was taken from the camp.

Now Ray was like "aint no big deal it will die down. Hey come over here and sign this waiver".  Suckered this yankee right into that signature.  

Ray now proceeds to tell us of those mean alligators and bugs.  How bad that swamp is and such.  We musta all been mesmerized being our first time there because when we looked back at the fire it looked like this.  It was moving closer and not wasting time.

Well now the owner showed up talked to ray a little and decided that a back burn was needed.  That killed the fire pretty much and after that we all headed to bed for the night. I was in the room with the two bunk beds (low bed farthest from the door).  I woke up refreshed and ready to hunt the next day.  Went to put on my hat and found my head hurting with a huge egg on top.  Scratching my head I said something about bumping my head in the night.  My bunk mate that was directly across from me said

"you don't remember getting up last night"?  With a puzzled look on his face.

"No what happened" I said.

He then told me that at some point during the night I shot out of bed like there were hot coals in in my sleeping bag and slammed my head on the top bunk.  He said he thought I damn near knocked myself out I hit it so hard. Ran to the door and stood there.  Turned around like nothing happened and went back to bed and never uttered a word.
  The only thing I could figure was at some point I musta been reliving those big stories about the big bad bugs and alligators that were going to be getting me, with along with that fire burning outside the camp.  I had a good laugh at my own expense.  So did the other guys I bet!

I secretly think that Ray has cameras all over that place down there and is making some great bloopers movie at the expense of us "Yankees".  There sure are some good stories from this place.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Matthew, sounds like Ray took advantage of another Yankee to me! I am sure you will probably find a few new words for the dictionary this trip too.

I bet he even told you how smoke and a raging fire attracts pigs.

They didn't do a control burn when I was down there. Instead they penned up the pigs across the street on neighbors property.

Here is an add on to the Controlled Burn definition in the dictionary.

Southern Meaning - to clear out the pine needles to produce nutients and prevent forrest fires.

Northern Meaning  - what Southerners do when Northerners are coming down to hunt hogs. They only do this when they misplace the key to the pens across the street on their neighbors property!
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online CV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Matt, I really enjoyed sharing camp with you and Steve last year. Believe it or not, I really enjoyed your pictures and re-telling of last year's hunt, fire and all. Your characterization of Ray is spot on. He's a "bust your chops" kind of commedian. As a born and raised son of the south, when he thought I was a Yankee becasue Virginia was north of South Carolinia, I laughed my keester off. It was a great weekend and I wish you nothing but success. I will be with you vicariously this year. I hope you slay them. Make sure to share your hero pics in this thread. Best of luck.
CV

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
I hope you fellas know that Ray was raised on long island, ny and has only been a southern transplant since he discovered hog hunting. Don't let him fool you with that son of the south bs.

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
Izzy thanks for those words of wisdom it is nice to know who you are dealing with.  Lol

Gil I think we need a word for a northerner that's acting as a southerner.

CV good to hear from ya I hope we can get on the pigs this year.  I will take lots of pics and hopefully have some stories to tell.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Carpetbagger

But

I was born in Colorado, and raised in FL AL NC Germany Phillipines Japan.  Went to college in Chapel Hill NC then moved to GA and remained here since

My Mom and Dad are both from Noo Joizey though
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
LONG ISLAND!......it all makes sense now... maybe the 10 foot alligator was fake..

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
LONG ISLAND!......it all makes sense now... maybe the 10 foot alligator was fake..

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
Steve with all this new info we are getting that alligator musta been remote controlled and put there to keep us Yankees out of the good part of he swamp. Lol

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Ray might have brought that gator down with him from the sewers of nyc.

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:
A word of warning, don't eat the stuffed pork!

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=116978;p=6  
Thanks for that link, I missed that thread first time around, I laughed my tail off!!!!   :laughing:  

Good luck on your hunt Mat and crew.
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©