3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chekmate  (Read 604 times)

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chekmate
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 06:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Chaz:
I was one of those, Chad gave me a refund. I loved dealing with Chad but would never deal with checkmate again.I will order strings from Chad however,  great Guy great string maker!
x2- Chad is a standup guy. With so many skilled and well organized bowyers around there is simply no reason to take the risk on Chekmate (again). Particularly with Cascade being nearly identical and without any of the mystery.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 06:56:00 AM »
I'll add my kudos on Chad.  He refunded on some limbs I wanted and threw in a free string for my Checkmate.

Dave
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Does cascade make a longbow similar to the beaver creek?

I don't see anything like that
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I'm fortunate to own 2 Crusaders. No one seems to have definite info on Chekmate still making bows. Some say he still is, but no way to reach Marc. It's a shame because they are great shooting bows and a very good value. Hopefully someone will chime in on how to get ahold of him. By the way the bow in my avatar is a Crusader.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Sounds pretty weak, on Marc's part. Even if the guy passed away (god forbid) you'd think his survivors would send an e-mail or something out of courtesy to long time business partners.

I can't even begin to conceive of a set of circumstances which warrant that kind of behavior. Basically just going totally underground.

All I can say is cheers to everyone who has the spine to remain honest, regardless of circumstance!

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 05:55:00 PM »
More Kudos for Chad, a totally stand-up guy!  He made me 100% whole on my Hunter3 that was MIA from the bowyer.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Cascade sells the Brush Hawk which is a 56" copy of the Beaver Creek longbow...and a nice one it is too.  I believe Steve Gorr of Cascade is taking orders for this bow as well as a 58" version.  The Brush Hawks and the Cascade 3 pc. takedown recurves are no longer being provided by Chekmate.
Lon Scott

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
:readit:    :knothead:

Offline Cold Weather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
I have met Marc

also know the previous owners of ChekMate

Chad is not the  only one that has been stiffed by Marc

Ron Boorman/Boorman Archery used to deal heavily in ChekMate bows-now he doesnt .

Marc is not making bows-I think ChekMate is over.
Fox High Sierra
Wes Wallace Mentor
Palmer Custom Carbon
Jim Brackenbury Drifter
21 Century Earth Longbow

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
I feel for the guys who lost money when the business goes bad.  I had the misfortune of dealing with Mike Fedora Jr of Big East Bows several years ago.  The bow came in 5# over weight and when I questioned him about it he took the bow back to make new limbs.  He and the bow disappeared.  Up to that time he too had a good reputation and was considered a trustworthy guy.  You just never know.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
Marc is still making Chek-mat bows, although I believe he is just taking orders through direct contact, and not building for any dealers that I know of.
I was a shoot in Parksville on Feb 17th and spoke with Marc and was able to handled one of his Hunter III's with carbon limbs he'ed recently finished for one of the guys at the shoot.

I don't know Marc that well, but I have had him make me around 5 different bows over the last 20 years, and for the money there aren't better performing bows out there. I'm going to see Marc at the Comox shoot next month and will most likely order one of his new Hunter III's with carbon.

Offline Daniel G. Banting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
I have never met Marc but spoke with him a number of times on the phone. I do not know anything of his situation or that of Chek-Mate bows. What I will say is that with all of the dealings I had with the man and the company he was OUTSTANDING. This has no reflection on any other comments simply my experience thrown into the mix.

To give you an impression of the kind of man I dealt with; I had a Dale Dye bow that I bought used. It had a fatal crack through the riser at the throat of the grip. Marc asked me to send the bow to him, which I did. When I got the bow back it was like a new bow! He had taken two half moon cuts out of the bow, one from the back and one from the belly, essentially cutting the bow in half. He then re laminated two new pieces in and refinished the bow. I still shoot it. When I called him to ask him how much I owed him ( he returned the bow postage paid with no invoice ) his reply was, "don't worry about it, I just wanted to see if I could do it.

I am not discounting what Chad has to say, I just could not see this guy get buried in negativity without relaying my experience.

Best to all,
Dan
If I keep my level of appreciation higher than my level of expectation, I have a good day.
Ray Wiley Hubbard

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
Dan, I understand--believe me.  If I hadn't gotten the knife in my back, I would be the same way.  I would have defended Marc like family.  He did a lot of favors for me over the course of the 15 or so years I delt with him--as I did him.  Obviously I put a lot of trust in him--why else would I have let him get indebted to me to the tune of over $2,000?

If he would have just given me something--some kind of warning or explanation--all would be fine and dandy.

As it is, I had customers who had been waiting a year or longer, who trusted me, and I had to tell them their bow wasn't coming--once I finally figured it out.  I had to refund over $10,000 in deposits.  Worst of all, I lost what I thought was a good friend.  Compared to all that, the $2,000 was a drop in a bucket.

I panicked when he dissapeared on me.  I had no idea what was going on, and nobody I talked with did either. Several dealers called and e-mailed me, some very angry, thinking I was Chek-Mate (guess because of my web site).  Lots of folks that had bows ordered through other dealers were calling and e-mailing me--some of these very angry also--asking me where there bows were.

I went from talking to Marc on a regular basis, sometimes an hour or two at a time, talking about everything but bows--our kids, hunting, fishing, the weather, birthdays, family matters...to being completely and totally blackballed by him, for no reason and with no warning or explanation.  I went from being one of their top dealers--THE top dealer for a few years--to absolutely nothing.

As it is, I'm not bitter.  Probably should be, and if it had been most anyone else, probably would be...but I'm not.  I just got my feelings hurt, in a way only someone you really care about and trust could do.  Like a best friend betraying you, and over what???  I have no idea.

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Chad you are a Great Man, and i believe that someone owes you an explanation! Thats just wrong!No excuse for that!
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
I have great experiences with both Chad and Marc and I have to disagree about this thread being pulled. It is good to let people in our little community know what is going on and to be careful in dealing over the internet. Shawn
Shawn

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Extremely interesting to me as I am a huge Chek-Mate fan & shooter.  Have owned/own at least 9 Chek-Mate TDs. Probably 95% of all the archery/bowhunting I do is with one of my H2s. Big Mo, my 53# 60" Zebra/Walnut H2 is far & away my favorite of all the trad bows I've ever owned.  

I never met or spoke to Marc directly so I can't speak to him & the situation between he & Chad, but I can say that even though Chad and I disagreed here a few times, he always was a straight shooter in every bow & string I bought from him.

Other than Chad I only ever found one other Chek-Mate dealer in the US, and only two more in Canada. I will add here that I bought Chek-Mates from all these dealers and was never disappointed in quality or customer service from any.  That being said, at some point customer service may be needed...

I have always wondered about the enigmatic nature of Chek-Mate. No website, no contact info, the only way to get a question answered was to ask one of the 4 dealers or if you were one of the few that personally knew the guy behind the great bows.

Now I'm reading here about an H3 which intrigues me, but if anything Chek-Mate is more Howard Hughes than ever.  Whatever is going on, I hope Chek-Mate gets it together and their bows become more easily available than they have been, and Chek-Mate becomes more accessible to the everyday buyer. Their bows are so hugely popular I can't help but think they could literally corner the market for semi-custom type bows, if they wanted.

I've never had an issue with one of my CM bows or limbs, but if I did, now I have no idea how to get customer service.

Can't help but think that Marc reads the trad forums and has read this thread. I'm sure that not just myself but all the folks who own Chek-Mates and love them as much as I would really appreciate knowing what is up. Myself, I'm only interested in if Chek-Mate is still in business or not, and if/how to get service on my bows if I need it....
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Spoke with Marc at the Comox shoot April 6-7th. Having him take some weight off a pair of my Hunter 1 limbs and Ordered a Hunter 3  with carbon......can't wait.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by TDHunter:
Spoke with Marc at the Comox shoot April 6-7th. Having him take some weight off a pair of my Hunter 1 limbs and Ordered a Hunter 3  with carbon......can't wait.
This is what I'm talking about.  For us folks who don't live in BC, don't know Marc on a first name basis, and don't run into him at shoots down here in ND, USA, but own bows made by him/Chek-Mate (in my case, I think it would be fair to say I have spent a considerable pile of hard cash on CM bows), is there some avenue of contact should we need to avail him for service or want to buy the new H3?...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
He stiffed a bunch of people in the USA

Scum bag

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
I don't know of any avenues to contact Marc except for in person or threw friends down on the island. As I live 15hr drive North of him I only see him maybe once or twice a year at shoots. Haven't heard of many CM bows need much service but I will mention one of the times I did. My work Partner bought a used Chek-mate crusader and a small air bubble formed under the glass. He sent a picture down to Marc and a few months later 2 more new Crusaders arrived in the Mail. Marc informed him that his existing bow is fine to shot but hear was two more for his trouble............I don't know of any bowyers in USA Canada or anywhere else in the world who would do that for a customer he didn't know, especially considering it was a used bow and it really wasn't an issue. My partner just sent the picture as he wanted to make sure the bow was safe to shoot, not expecting a new bow , let along two.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©