3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow fishing setups  (Read 368 times)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
Bow fishing setups
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Hi Guys! I'm excited about bow fishing this spring. I planned to dedicate a 55lb one piece recurve just to my setup so my hunting bow doesn't take the abuse that seems to get dished out.I've been looking at 3rivers gear and wonder what input some of you experienced shooters might have. What you like and don't. Pictures of gear, especially reel attachment would be really appreciated.

I was leaning towards the AMS Retriever Reel. Is the rubber strap adapter stable enough or is it worth the time to add sight bushings into the riser and attach the reel more solidly?

Shoot off the shelf or add a roller rest, guide type rest?

I thought the finger-saver type foam on the string would eliminate the need for a glove. The safty slides seem smart, didn't have those 20 years ago when we did play with carp a little.

Thanks for the input and any photos of gear attachment to your bows, I look forward to hearing from you! Jim
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow fishing setups
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
I'm sort of old school when bowfishing. I like the Zebco  style reels but mounted on the side.
The reason for the,reel is I like having the drag for retrieval. Also I can get the arrow retrieved much faster for another shot.
Only tried the AMS once. I shoot in a lot of trees. On big fish by the time I could get my hands on the line there was a lot of it out of the bottle and the fish had it wrapped around the trees.

For open water shooting and especially smaller fish the bottle is smoother for longer shots .
Most of the tournament guys used the Zebco style.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Also if dedicating it to bow fishing I'd opt for the inserts.
With either type reel.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
I just started last summer with a Zebco 808 (classifieds) that screws in the existing bushing on an old Bear Grizzly. I picked up the arrow and quiver locally. The safety slides are a must have. I remember shooting a fishing rig just for giggles a few years ago with the arrow tied in the rear, dang near shot myself nock-first when it came zipping back at me, that rig had a roller rest on it.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Fishburglar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
uhh i am dyingg to go bowfishing!! i might have to make a trip down from NY sometime.
The Fishburglar

Offline Mark Zagrzebski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
I have the strap on adapter and AMS retriever reel you are referring to.  The mount is solid and works great.  Definately get the arrows with the slides.  Also, I would recommend the 3 blade grapple point.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
I use the strap on adapter with an AMS reel.  Good set up.  If you want to put holes in the riser, that will work.  I use the adapter for other things though, so its handy to have.

I prefer the AMS reel over everything else because when I get excited I shoot arrows off by accident otherwise.

Definitely use the slide. I shoot off the shelf, It works plenty fine! Have a great time.

Here is another option.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
thanks guys, great photos and info! That really helps. Those big old carp are in trouble! :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
I have both the AMS and a regular "tub" style spool. I prefer the tub. Where I hunt there are a lot of weeds and algae. I can strip off all the goop as I reel it in. With the AMS they just get gummed up in the bottle

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
I taped a coffee can to my mamba this past year but I'll be upgrading to either a Zebco or an AMS.  I shoot off the shelf of my mamba and didnt have any problems.  The finger savers are good if you dont want to get your shooting glove wet.  Also the safety slides are a must.  Much more convenient and safe.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »

In the classifieds now.
Ken Thornhill

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
i prefer the spool type myself....a little video.

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
and another video....cant wait for the lazy days on the river..

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I really like Muzzy and AMS retriever reels. I use the pro series for fish and the big game model for our gator hunters and for big sharks. Here is a little fishing video to get you guys pumped up for spring!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KKyJ0mCHQeE  

And a little gator bowfishing for the hard core crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uxNSMCb02J8

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »

I have been using Zebco 808's for years with 300#  FF bowfishing line. The ones from Walmart. I never use the slide rigs on the arrows just put a loop in the end of the line stick it through the hole in arrow flip over nock and go. Use to shoot 200 plus carp a night. Now I just go during the day when spawning use canoe and wade. The night thing is fun for a while but finally gets old especially if you don't like staying out all night. The canoe is more traditional and saves gas! I use tape on reels if I want to use selfbow or longbow.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Ah bowfishing! Thinking of it right now with snow on the ground makes me anxious.

I use the AMS and have nothing too bad to say about it. Gotta be careful sometimes reeling in, as the line can get caught between the roller and the side of the reel, but not a biggie unless reeling in like a madman.

Muzzy put out a spinner type reel (like the Zebco) that was supposed to be pretty nice, that I wouldn't mind trying some day.

Offline kestimator

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Man!!!  Those gar make me hungry!!!

I'll probably do a similar set-up again this year....plus will try to get arrows going straight out of heavier limbs for some bigger gar/carp....

I hunted with "Fred" an A-Mag riser with 43# limbs this past year.  Worked good...but there were times where a little more "zip" would have sealed the deal....LOL!!!

Have a nice day!
Kevin

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 06:12:00 AM »
great stuff guys, thanks :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
I have both the AMS Retriever and a Zebco 808. Both are great but I prefer the Zebco 808 because I like the ability to reel the fish in and it's also faster on second shots. I bowfish with a Browning Wasp, 51#@28" and I use an AMS strap-on adapter to attach the reel to the bow.

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Do you shoot from that bridge? looks like a long way down.
Lucas Kent

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©