3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sight window for hunting?  (Read 135 times)

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
Sight window for hunting?
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
What is the optimal sight window for most hunting situations and is 2-1/2" too small?

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sight window for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
If you measure from the shelf to the outside of the sight window cut out I just measured all the hunting bows I've used downstairs. Shortest was 3 1/2" and longest was 6" with everything in between. I do have a DH Monterey with an 8" window but haven't used it for hunting. As long as you can see the target you are shooting at the ranges you are shooting I don't think it matters.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
As long as you can see the target you are shooting at the ranges you are shooting I don't think it matters.
x2, canting the bow, anchor height, and split vs. 3 under all make a difference in what you need. I also find a big difference between a narrow limb LB or hybrid and a wider limb recurve particularly a 3 pc TD bow.  It is one of those things you need to figure out for yourself.  Just make sure you can shoot vertical bow and still see okay.  Being able to shoot vertical can be a benefit on steep downward angles and for shooting out back of a tree.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Does not matter as I am looking at the target, both eyes open, shooting instinctivly, picturing where the arrow is goig to end up. Sight window is just a way to get a bow center shot to me.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Thanks fellows.  This is why I ask.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
I prefer the smaller sight window, cuts down on seeing too much of my target and I focus better on the smaller spot. Especially effective for my split vision aiming method.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Didn't read any of the other replies....but some folks like a larger window...especially those that shoot with a vertical bow. If you cant, you don't need as much and you can still see the playing field.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©