3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whose your huntin' buddy?  (Read 838 times)

Offline TubbsTru

• Trad Bowhunter
Whose your huntin' buddy?
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Last Saturday I went to the Wisconsin Traditional Archers banquet in Madison, WI. It was a great time to get away, talk smart, shoot some bows (including the very cool Dwyer Endeavor), and- most importantly- spend some time with people I care about.

That last one got me thinking about the topic of "huntin' buddies." I'm a solitary kind of guy- I choose to hunt alone most often. In fact, there's really only one other person I ever want to hunt with: my dad. Maybe it's because we've hunted so much together (though not enough), or we hunt alike (he taught me everything), or he's just a really great guy (definitely true), but, for whatever reason, he's the only guy I can truly call my "huntin' buddy." And not to demean other people I love and care about, but I'm okay with it being just him and me.

Recently I learned that my wife is pregnant. She's due in August. This will be our first child and the thought of being a dad blows my mind. I only hope that, whether boy or girl, I can hunt with my little one someday like dad has hunted with me.

So, question for you all: who's your huntin' buddy? What's special about them to you?

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whose your huntin' buddy?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
My daughter. She is my miracle and when we go hunting together, I know its going to be a good day even if I don't see anything. Its that time together that is truly priceless

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
First of all let me say congrats TubbsTru! I have a 3 year old little girl.  When she turned  2 I had her out in the woods checking cameras with me, now she is always wantin to go out to the woods.  If she aint beggin to go out to the woods with me she is sittin on my lap watchin huntin shows.  I can't wait for that morning to  come when she wakes me up and says come on daddy let go huntin.  Take every moment in and cherrish it.  You don't relize how fast life goes by until you have a youngen.      :thumbsup:
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
My one and only daughter for sure.  She is 11, loves to get camo'd up, pretty much keeps up step for step, loves to shoot her bows, and now likes to give me her game plan for how we should hunt.  It's absolutely awesome.  She likes to ask me if she can have the "friday flu" and "monday mono" to get out of school to go hunt an extended weekend.

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  I remember the friday flu and monday mono years ago in school.  I seemed to "get sick" alot during hunting season.  Bahaha
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
My youngest daughter, Ashlee. She's the one who is always asking to go to camp or hit the woods.

Practice session. She doesn't look like she made a good shot...

Scouting/hunting mission.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
My 34 year old son who lives just across the woods from me.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
Thanks to TradGang.....I got LOTS and LOTS of em.       :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Searching........   :confused:    :confused:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:00 PM »
Here's the story I just wrote of my hunting buddy.   :D  

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=125986

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
These are my hunting buddies, my dad and my boys.  Dad because he taught me the love for archery and hunting and my boys because I now get to teach them.  There's nothing better than sharing the woods and water with all of them. Can't forget our springer, Penny, she's a good one too.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
No small kids...but you won't find any better bowhunting partners than the other members of the Tri-State Terrors....Bamboo(Mike Robin) and Southpawshooter(Scott Frost).

The short time we have bowhunted together, many deer have been dragged out, hours hunting in the rain and snow with no one 'bitchin and a perfect melding of knowledge and skill. From the hardwoods in CT, NJ and NY...I want these guys right along side me.   :thumbsup:

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline USAFdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
My oldest, the Air Force lets me have him for a few days once in a while and my good friend nickname LB (lucky bowhunter)on the right.  

Offline USAFdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
Sorry forgot to check size on picture.  Second attempt since I'm pretty sure the picture police are going to yank the first one. My appologies to Admin for the oversight. Anyway My Hunting buddies are my son (middle) when the Air Force lets me have him for a few days and good friend LB (lucky bowhunter)as he's known on the right.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
This is my hunting buddy Ammon

He is one of the main reason why i hunt with my stick bow. he hardly ever gets on tradgang. Everytime we hunt together we laugh more than we hunt.

I am 5'5 and he is 6'4. so we look funny hunting together.

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
I do a lot of my hunting with my good friend refuge rambler. Got him into trad archery a year ago last October. We had hunted some together before that. But this past season a lot more. He's a good deer dragger,  lol. Just kiddin. We think alike when it comes to scouting and and setting up.  Jim.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Awesome fellas! For me there's a few people I love to share that time in the woods with but there is two that are head and shoulders above the rest, Dad he often says he created a monster from the time I could walk my life revolved around the outdoors from watching Elk Fever till the VHS wore out, helping dad and uncle mark build arrows in the garage( the smell of fletch laq brings back so many fond memories) to my first turkey hunt with him at age 4. The past few years have been trying on us with work and conflicting schedules but I still look forward to that time when we can just get away and do what we do best together spend time in Gods great outdoors.  

Then there is my uncle mark, he and I just seem to click when we are on a trip together he's also my best friend we talk for hours on the phone a few times a week, my girlfriend says how can two people sit in the phone that long talking about bows an hunting. ( she's not a bow hunter quite yet , but we are working on it) uncle mark was there for a lot of my great times with dad in the woods as well, I will forever be indebted to him and dad for teaching me the ways of the bow and hunting.

The next two guys are my cousin Austin and a guy who is more like my brother than he is a friend Talon we always have fun out there and always seem to put something jn the freezer.

I also have a 2 yr old daughter Hunter Jo, I am slowly working on getting her into the woods she's got her own bow which no will start her on this summer. I look forward to many times and great memories afield with her I just hope I can do half as good of a job as my mentors did with me.  

Great thread btw! Here's to all our huntin buddies!
-drew
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
That would be my brother from another mother - Ray Hammond !!!
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
Adkmountainken and Cyclic-Rivers now and then, KAT once in a while. Had some others but as we all got older their drive has left them. Most of the time I hunt alone and sometimes that makes my wife a bit nervous, like when I go to the north country and wind up 3-4 miles off the road all alone. He who hunts alone is always ready and has to wait for no others. I do hunt on a friends land but even when we hunt at the same time we each go our own way!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
My 10 year old daughter , "stickbowmack".  It is always a wonderful hunt when we are together whether we see anything or not . It is always a positive outing.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©