3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ben Pearson "Hunter"  (Read 310 times)

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
Ben Pearson "Hunter"
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:53:00 PM »
Strung up my 45# Ben Pearson Hunter, 7458.  (My dad gave it to me for Christmas in 1974).  Shot about a dozen arrows and I was really Impressed.  Fast, quiet and every arrow flew like darts.

My question is what it the reputation of Pearson bows, how do they compare to Bears?  Also, can someone tell me about the Hunter model?  Serial # on my bow is 2754-231.

Thanks,

JDG

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ben Pearson "Hunter"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
The first bow I ever bought was a Ben Pearson recurve back in the early 70's, and it still shoots quite well. In addition, I have an old wooden longbow that I have retired. I found it listed in a copy of a 1942 Ben Pearson catalog, and when put on a scale a few years ago, still pulled an honest 55# @ 28". I think they are very good bows, but it seems that Bear holds a greater following based on the number of people I see shooting vintage equipment. This is just a very casual opinion based on my limited exposure to either Pearson or Bear - I'm primarily a Hill fan, but I have heard a number of guys speak highly of Pearson bows.

Sorry, no knowledge of your Hunter.
Sam

Offline White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Good bows!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
I have a Ben Pearson hunter II 7375 45#.  It was my second hunting bow. I loved it, but don't shoot it much now after my draw length increased.  At 52" I kind of think it stacks about 28" and don't want to mess it up.  I am keeping it for the kids when they grow into.  I have shoot it a little this year, but kept the draw length down. It is a good shooter and I like the narrow grip. Mine has squared off tips and a nice looking riser with accent stripes.  Quiet with a B-50 and no silencers.  

I think the hunter bows are nice bows.  I also have a couple old Indian bows I shot for a long time until my favorite had a limb problem.  I always felt my bows worked just fine.  I never had a Bear until years later.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
DOUBLE GUN,
WHAT ARROWS ARE YOU SHOOTING OUT OF YOUR PEARSON.
I HAVE AN EARLY 70'S 45# 52" 'HUNTER'
CAN'T SEEM TO FIND A GOOD MATCH
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
My wife shoots a Ben Pearson Hunter 709 that we picked up at an auction. Dont really know a thing about them. It seems to be the best $20 I ever spent. She shoots pretty well using full length 2018 I have set up for one of my longbows.

I also had a Ben Pearson take down I used to shoot but cant find now to save my life. I think it must have grown feet the last time me moved.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Under rated bows that can more than hang with the bigger companies like Bear.

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bama Recurve:
DOUBLE GUN,
I have been shooting some old wood arrows that were laying around the local shop I frequent.  I can't tell you anything about them now but I plan to take a couple back and get the specs from them.  Stay tuned - I'll post what I find out.  (I will probably try to have some graphites built that are identical.

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bama Recurve:
DOUBLE GUN,
Not sue how helpful this will be but they are 29", parallel shafts and they weight around 495 gr.  Hope you can find something comparable.

Cheers

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
AWESOME, THANKS DOUBLEGUN.
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline Doublegun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
No problem. Hope it works for you. I am having some Heritage 250's built at about the same weight and I'll let you know how they work.

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Here's a picture of a Ben Pearson Hunter and a Bear Bearcat together.  My first hunting bow was a Ben Pearson so I've always kind had a soft spot for them.  Both companies made nice bows.
-Jay

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »
I have a Ben Pearson Hunter and a Bear Kodiak and Kodiak Hunter.  The Pearson would be my first pick.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
Beautiful bows JJB and Charlie!! True works of art!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©