3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cough Silincers?  (Read 480 times)

Offline Ray091

• Trad Bowhunter
Cough Silincers?
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:01:00 PM »
Do cough silencers really work?

I sometimes cough while hunting and thought it would be a good idea to invest in one.

Any opinions or better yet anyone ever tried one.
Rqy091

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cough Silincers?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
I do have one. Think I got it at cabelas. Plastic tube bout six inches long stuffed with a cotton like material. hole on one end and a mouth piece on the other. It does work but takes a little practice. Harder to keep your mouth sealed around the mouth piece than you would think
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
4dogs take on it is mine....good description.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
A Hall's cough drop works best for me. I have a chronic cough from dome meds I take . I found the " Cough Silencers" ineffective, but I guess it depends on the type of cough .
DonD

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I wish I'd known about something last year, because I was just getting over a cold when I went hunting. My cough every 10-15 minutes was like a fog horn for the deer saying "stay away from here!"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:11:00 PM »
I had a cold/cough one year and tried coughing into my sleeve................apparently it sounded pretty good 'cause I called in a six pointer   :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
I have a cough suppressor and it works very well, can't remember the brand name but any should work well.

I use to get a slight cough whenever I went hunting, found out it was because I would get a hot coffee on the way to hunt, and that would get my sinuses going and cause me to cough, stopped drinking hot liquids before I went hunting and no more cough.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:00 AM »
Although I personally have no experience with a cough suppressor other than my sleeve (which seems to work well enough most of the time), my cousin tried one, and said that it was a waist of time and money. Half the time, he couldn't get it out of his pocket in time, and when he did, it only worked with a slight cough. With the hard coughs, he couldn't keep his mouth sealed around it and he said that it actually hurt worse to try and cough into it. I'm sure everyone's experiences will be different though.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:41:00 AM »
I thought I invented an awesome cough silencer, but when I went to have it patented they told me no. Apparantly a "hat" is unpatentable...  ;)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
I have one and it is okay as an option in warmer fall weather when you don’t have a heavy coat sleeve to use.  It is no too bad for a little tickle nuisance cough, but it really will not let you push sufficient air to muffle a deep cough. Like Roger said a hat works great, but it needs to be a heavy one to muffle the sound.  I have actually found a good hand muff to be handy if you strap it up higher mid torso so you can get it up to your face.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
I've heard deer cough before. If it's not a constant cough I'm with the sleeve bunch.

Never tried one of those suppressors.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
I have used one for years and find the reults a bit disappointing - sometimes it is hard to keep my mouth sealed around it, in which, case it is loud. Cough drops are as much a part of my hunting kit as my bow & quiver.

Also, if you take certain medications, the side effects may include a chronic cough. I changed blood pressures meds because of this. Check with the doc if you cough  continuously and take regular meds.
Sam

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm not sure a deer knows what a human cough sounds like..but like everybody else don't like to cough while hunting.

I have to take 3 different meds for blood pressure and there's one type that gives a chronic cough.

I take cough drops when the tickle first hits. Sometimes I think the smell of the cough drops are worse than the sound of the cough.

Last spring gobbler season my cough messed me up a couple of times when gobblers were coming in.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Always carry a few Hall's in my pack.

Not only do they do a pretty good job of killing a cough, they will keep your mouth from drying out, limiting the amount of water you have to take in.  Less water in, less water out.  Not a good long term solution, but it works very well for a 3-4 hour treestand sit.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »
Yeah, I have wondered about the smell of cough drops, too. But I think a cough is certain to spook deer, while the smell of a cough drop might spook them. However, I try to breathe solely through my nose, hoping less odor will be emitted, but am probably just fooling myself. It has not actually been a problem as I have had many deer come in close with no reaction. One even walked up to my ladder and was smelling the rungs. (No, since it was still a baby, I did not try to shoot.) However, I have coughed in the presence of deer, and they turned themselves inside out scrambling away.

I don't wait for that first tickle. I put one in my mouth before I ever leave the truck. When it is used up, I replace a drop whether I feel a cough coming on or not.
Sam

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I bought one a few years ago when I had a nasty cough, it was either silence it, or not go hunting.  I think it worked great.  Takes a few times to figure it out.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
I have had good luck with mine H.S cough silencer. I got it after messing up a couple of stalks on good bucks. Cough dops were not working this time for me.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
I guess I just cough.  Cows do it, deer do it, I don't think they can really tell the diference.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:00 AM »
dont know anything about the silencers but i know delsym works for me, and it lasts for several hours. best cough syrup i have found

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
I think they work I've had mine for years. They are definitely better than a sleeve ,glove, or hat. They are not 100 percent but they do work. Holding  your lips  tight around it is key and after you wash them after use when you replace the cotton don't put too much so you can still get air to pass through it. I use cough syrup before heading out then a pocket full of mint or honey flavored  halls. And keep a scent blocker mask over my face.
Even when your not sick they are handy after you eat a snack bar with nuts in it and about ten minutes after eating it ya get that little piece that floats down your throat and you start coughing uncontrollably........it's good for that too.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©