3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk about snakeboots...  (Read 473 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk about snakeboots...
« on: February 26, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
I'm going to need to replace my snakeboots before spring turkey season gets here.  I currently own a pair of Rocky's.  This is the second pair I've went through and, unfortunately, a couple of years into service each of them began to leak slightly.
So, I'm looking to move to something that offers a little more reliability in the waterproof department.
Any thoughts?
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk about snakeboots...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
I think that unless a boot is solid rubber, you may be expecting too much from the boot.

I'd say it depends on what you are most concerned about... wet feet or fangs.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:48:00 AM »
Have you thought about using good gators along with your favorite boots?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
I had some Chippewas that stayed dry for seven seasons of turkey and deer hunting.  I'd snow seal them to keep them soft. I walked and stood in a lot of water in those seven years.

I now have some Danners that have gone through two seasons of lighter use.  I have been using Alphs Burlys when the weather get colder and the snakes are gone.  So far so good, but I don't think they are as good as the Chippewa, they are one heck of a comfortable boot though.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
I sometimes have to wade to get where I want to go so I ripped the liner out of my rocky zip up snake boots and cut tiny slits near the sole for the water to leak back out. My other pair I really keep rubbed down with mink oil.RC

Offline Cavalry Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
I have a pair of Winchesters. Super cheap and have been in service for 5 years. Only leaks when I get water over the top.
"Lifes tough, Its tougher if your Stupid!"

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Chippewa snake boots are the standard in South Texas...for snakes, thorns, cactus, and water...

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Another vote for Chippewa's.... been wearing them since the mid 80's, not the same pair of course.
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Agree with the Chippewa fans...outstanding choice.
Lon Scott

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
I don't know about waterproofness but the new Rocky snake boots look to be really comfortable. Not stiff like the traditional snake boots. I usually just wear a good pair of leather boots and keep my eyes peeled lol
Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
I use 16" Schnees pac boots.  Maybe not a true snake boot but I feel pretty safe, dry and comfortable in them.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I have a pair of Rockeys I bought this past fall. After what you said I am officially depressed. Don't have snakes here but I do like the height for the snow and streams waterproof and I hate rubber boots. Wore too many of them in the barn I get flashbacks.   :deadhorse:
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
the best ones I have found are the zip up redhead snake boots. comfortable as a tennis shoe and very light weight.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
I live in snake boots year round here in TX.  Either Chippawa as suggested or Justin.  Justin are tougher.  Chippawa are lighter.  I have both.  I tend to wear the Justin as my primary boot.  Screw all the lace up and zip up boots.  Just crap you don't need and a dumb idea.  They have gore-tex models.  I just get the normal and use snow seal.  If I know I am going to have a wet weekend I take a second pair just in case I need to rotate.  We have Justin outlet stores near where I live and can get them cheaper (Justin owns Chippawa so those included).  They probably don't have outlet stores in VA but if they do look there first.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
Russell Turkey Hunters.

Offline Dendy Cromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
i like the bass pro red head ones. zip up. they are comfortable to walk a lot in and as waterproof as i need them to be(like crossing creeks and stuff... not standing in water all day). I heard somebody tell me one time that snake boots were bad for my knees-- but i think SNAKES are bad for my knees.
Southern Zone Rep./Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia

Prov: 3, 5-6

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Justin_Mens_Snake_Boots.html?424fccf8=2113

These are the ones to get.  I saw them at the Justin outlet store in Fort Woth recently for $120-130 pair.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
Been wearing the same pair of Rocky side zipper boots for the past three years. Don't think they will make it thru next year.
Every time I seriously consider not wearing them, I bump into something that causes that thought to go away.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 09:54:00 AM »
I wear the Alpha Burleys with Jeans and Carhart overals over them. Never had a snake latch on yet and hopefully the fangs arn't long enough to bite thru my jeans, carharts and boots. Did have a cottonmouth strike one time but fortunately for me his aim was as bad as mine.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
I wear Danner GTX Jackels. I have only had them for two years. They haven't leaked yet. Very light weight but a little stiff in the ankle area.
I can walk all day in them and not develop any sore spots or blisters.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©