3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose hunting Newfoundland  (Read 397 times)

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
Moose hunting Newfoundland
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm thinking about booking a hunt the first or second week of September before the rut.  The outfitter is booked up for the rut so I thought I'd check here to see if it's worth hunting early.  Thanks for your help.
Terry

Offline Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose hunting Newfoundland
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I would wait and go next year during the rut. Early hunts can be tough especially if it's warm.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Will be there the last week and a half of sept. Guide says he can almost guarantee us moose. Last sept a friend took a 40+ incher!
BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
What matt said x2.  gettin into bow range is very difficult unless they are responding to calls. Killed mine at thirteen yards late sept. Good luck

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I hunted the northern part of Newfoundland in 2003 for my moose. I believe it was the second week of September. I killed my moose at about 1pm the second afternoon and had saw 42 moose by then. I am not sure it makes much difference when you go, there are so many moose on the island. Talk with your outfitter and go with what they suggest. You will really injoy your self. Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
I don't know Newfoundland, but I would be one that would wait until I could hunt the very best week available.  

We just had Nathan Andersohn as a speaker at our WTA banquet and he did a seminar on booking guided hunts.  That was one of his main points - regardless of the species you will improve your chances of success if you pick the very best week of the year.

Think about it - if you were hunting whitetails in Iowa would you rather hunt early October or the first week of November?  Sure, you can shoot a good buck in October, but I would take November every time.  Same applies to elk, moose, or just about any species that has a sexual drive.

I'm not saying not to talk to your outfitter, but keep in the back of your mind that he is running a business. He must book hunts during the entire season if he is going to stay in business.  He certainly isn't going to say that early is no good.

Just my two cents, for what it is worth.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
When I questioned the outfitter he did say I would be better off booking during the rut in 2014.  He said it's hard enough getting into compound range the first 2 weeks much less stick bow range.  It will cost $1000 more next year.  

Greg, what outfitter did you use?

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:19:00 PM »
Will be there Oct 12 this year.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Don't know about Newfoundland but in Ontario I would really be worried about the weather being too warm. We usually hunt the last week in September and that is beginning to be iffy temperature wise.  :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Werner, any suggestions up your way for moose.  
Also did you go bear hunting last year?

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Do not go unless the rut is on. They are not easy to stalk and getting close is very tough without the ability to call them in. Been there...done that....
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »
If you haven't hunted NF it is nxt to impossible to give advice in my opinion.  I was there in 2006 first week and 4 of 6 archery hunters including me arrowed bulls with max shot distance about 32 yds.  Most were 30 and under.  I was into moose from the first morning till 11am and every evening with lots of choices and multiple stalks..  If you can stalk patiently, use your head they don't have to be rut crazed and dumb to kill them.
Ed G.

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
I hunted with Tuckamore Lodge. If I remember correctly, that year during the 2 week early archery season, There were 8 moosed killed out of 12 bowhunters. I think everyone had an opportunity, with in good bow range. If you get the wind in your favor and take your time, you can get within range.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Rut is not only for a week or two... If you have a great guide, that knows what he's doing , he'll put you on moose at bow range even mid september.
Is the outfit you are dealing with, use to trad bow hunters? Do they have a guide or two that actually are trad bow hunters?
Just some thoughts!
Good luck

Offline LBshooter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
what outfitter are you going with?
Barta Bow 50lb @ 28
Bear Kodiak Hunter 50@28
Bear Grizzly 45lb @ 28
Bear Grizzly 50 lb
Joe Walsh Custom LB 52@27
Byron ferguson safari, 66 in 59@28
Predator 55@28
Black Widow SA2 51@28

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
I do know there are some very good outfits in Newfoundland, and no doubt about it - you have a good chance at a moose with them during any part of the season.  If it were my money though (and someday I hope it is) I would be looking to maximize my odds with the best possible week.  It will vary somewhat from one year to the next depending on weather, etc.  But overall, I would think there is a certain time period that will be at least somewhat better than the others.  Even the outfitter indicated that to you.

Another factor I would probably take a look at is moon phase.  I really don't know if it makes a difference or not - I generally disregard the moon and simply hunt any time I get a chance.  But there sure seem to be a bunch of people that complain about the full moon messing them up on all kinds of different species.  If given a choice, I would at least try not to schedule it during a full moon.  

For most of us a trip like that won't come around very often in our lifetimes.  Why not try to schedule it to give you every advantage possible?  If nothing else, I would love to experience the adreniline rush of a rut crazed moose grunting with every step as he waves his rack from side to side on the way in.  That is what my moose dreams are made of.  :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBshooter2:
what outfitter are you going with?

Ray's hunting lodge

http://www.huntnewfoundlandmoose.com

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
I suppose I should have expounded a little more on my opinion. I went to Newfoundland in 2011 and hunted with Rays. Our hunting started on October 17th. The rut was completely over and stalking is very tough. Rays areas are mostly in the mountains which and consist of rocks or bogs. The bogs can wear you down pretty quick and I personally fell twice the first day from walking in the rocks. There are rocks everywhere from baseball size to as big as a van.

If someone tells you moose are dumb, don't believe it. We glassed moose a half to a mile away and they would be looking right back at us. After a short time they would turn and run into cover. I saw over 60 moose over the 6 days and finally was able to stalk within 35 yards of a cow. She was in very thick cover and the wind gave me away before I could get an open shot. The wind blows incessantly and is somewhat fickle.

There was 8 hunters in camp, 5 trad hunters, 1 compound shooter, and 2 rifle hunters. One recurve shooter killed a bull at 38 yards, the wheely shooter killed his at 52 yards. These 2 were the only moose killed. One of the rifle hunters missed in his opportunity. The other never fired a shot.

As I said earlier, if you are hunting with a bow, only go when the rut is on. If you have more questions about Rays, shoot me an email and I will help all I can.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by nontypical:
Will be there the last week and a half of sept. Guide says he can almost guarantee us moose. Last sept a friend took a 40+ incher!
Let us know how it goes, Pete.

Offline modr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Terry, hunted at Ray's a couple of years ago, went in Sept. Great place, guides know what their doing and will work hard to get you a moose. Four of us went,two of us shot mouse, I shot a cow at about 35 yards and a bull, about 40" was shot at about 15 yards. As stated rocks and bogs, go in shape, lots of walking.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©