3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: form-a-grip kit?  (Read 214 times)

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
form-a-grip kit?
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I have a qarbon nano which has a pretty decent grip but was of course thinking I could customize it and improve it. This stuff looks like it may do the trick. Anyone used it?  Is it hard to work with?

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: form-a-grip kit?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
I used some kind of kit once on a compound that I hated the grip on. It made the perfect grip. It didn't look very good,but I didn't really do anything to dress it up either.  To answer your other question it was very easy to work with. You just put it around the grip area and sort of got it the way you wanted it and then just gripped it and it made a perfect mold of your hand.

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Thanks AT,

I think I will get some and play with it. I was hoping to build and entirely new removable grip that was a mold of my hand but may just end up using it to build up the existing one. I'll have to see just how easy it is to work with.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
I've never tried a grip that was a mold of my hand.  I would think the problem with such a grip would be that it would be easy to torque the grip. That is the reason that we advise people to get as little of their hand as possible on the grip.  I grip the bow with just my thumb and forefinger around the handle and the rest of my hand off at a 45 degree angle.  How do those of you who like a grip molded to your hand deal with torquing?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
The grip need not be an exact duplication of the hand.  It could just be a slight swell to fill a void between high or low wrist grip.  A palm swell might actually prevent torque
Don't know as I have not used it, but a slight mod to make one custom bow feel more like another in your inventory might be beneficial
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
The grip need not be an exact duplication of the hand.  It could just be a slight swell to fill a void between high or low wrist grip.  A palm swell might actually prevent torque
Don't know as I have not used it, but a slight mod to make one custom bow feel more like another in your inventory might be beneficial
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
McDave, I have typically shot like you described. However, recently I shot a couple bows w very customized grips and didn't have a torque issue at all. I figure its worth it to experiment.

Offline David Yukon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
Isn It the idea behind the Asbel grip you can get with BW recurves? To have a bit more grip to fill up your hand?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
I have done grip customizing before, but mostly now I just grip it and rip it.
I mostly shoot a longbow and have no concerns about torqueing. As a matter of fact, I tend to squeeze the life out of it. Helps to accentuate the front seight (foward hand) and force it twords the target. Great for instinctive shooters...not so great I suppose for refrence methods.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline ursusmajor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
Lol. Big Jim. I kinda grip it and rip it myself now. That's kinda why I like the fully customized hand grips.  I like having a consistent place to put my hand tho. Rick Welch cuts in finger grooves for this reason.

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
How 'bout taking this idea a step further. I woudl think most bowyers (if thier customer desired) woudl be willing to replicate a grip sent to them on a custom bow. Can we a) make a mold then b) send it to bowyer and c) they make it fit like the mold?  seems very similar to when a foot doctor has a person make a mold of a person's foot to make custom orthotics.  
as for whether it would affect shooting --?????
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©