3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Excel tech guys. Tradgang project for all  (Read 366 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Excel tech guys. Tradgang project for all
« on: February 26, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Viewing this previous post about arrows, typical wts., equip etc.   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=124819

Made me think how cool it would be to have a spreadsheet or something like that (I am not good at this stuff) where Tradgang folks could post this type of info.  Would be great to see averages etc.

Just an idea.  I have no idea how it works with you Admins.  A 'Resource' post???  

Thanks
Dan- shoveling out in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Excel tech guys. Tradgang project for all
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
I think that's gonna be a tough one.  Just because you are going to find people literally all over the board.. Draw weights. Draw length (if actual)  arrow weights tip weight.  I am by NO means a techie. But it would be one hell of a task.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
I might be able to help but I am not sure exactly what you are wanting to see. A list of bow weights and broadhead weights? Ratios?
John

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Nothing fancy (easy to say I know!).  But take that answers from the previous post and have them in some chart form- no calculation or anything.  Any trad member could post his numbers in some chart/column form. . .  bow type, maker, draw length, draw wt, string, typical arrow set up- shaft type, length, tip wt, over all wt., typ game for that set-up.  It could just be a running list/resource that people could refer to for lots of reasons. I do not know how to do it, but it would be cool if members could then access the chart and even study it per category/column.  Sure would be a great resource from Tradgang.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Individual results would be all over the board, but I'd be willing to bet that averaging things out would produce some good results for dynamic spine, etc if you got enough data.

As far as 'nothing fancy' goes, for it to be worthwhile you'd need as much info as possible. Verifying the accuracy of the data would be a problem too.

That being said, we have to be wary of all the differences in form and shooting style that numbers don't account for.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
You guys are thinking too much.  All I was suggesting was a form where we could log each of the items.  All the info has ALREADY been done on the previous post I listed (as well as dozens of other posts over the years).    

These types of threads come up regularly here on Trad gang.  Just thought it may be simple to have a Tradgang resource where we could post our personal info in some useable form.  When anyone had a question like the previous post, they could just look it up and see the outfits we are shooting.

No "accuracy" of info is needed.  For example:  Black Widow SA, #53, 30.5" draw.  5575 GT.  31" length.  225gr tip. 540 gr total wt.  Put that info in columns.  It would be valuable for many to compare, etc.  

Don't make the suggestion more complicated than need be.  Nothing technical about the information.  The only technical thing is how to have an ongoing form on Tradgang.

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Dan excel would be a nightmare to integrate to the site and it isn't user friendly. Too many hands or even 2 and the cell get messed up etc.

The simplest way to do what you mentioned might be start a fresh thread. I don't know if shooters forum is the place for it or not. You could ask the mods.

Anyway take the info from the thread you mentioned and if you want more solicite more on a powwow thread. Then just do a basic chart in the posting. For ex.

Bow.                     Arr lgth.  Make          Gr head.   Ttl gr

BlkWidow SA, #53, 30.5"5575 GT. 31"Ttl 225gr tip. 540

With what info you think would be useful. You can Edit your top thread so as folks reply you can add their info in the top thread. And just keep it going like the Howard hill thread. I think that would be the easiest way and accomplish what you want.  Just a suggestion .
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »
https://sites.google.com/site/bowsetup/home/survey

If you want me to change some columns I can do that.  I sort of just slapped this together, so we can change column names or whatever too.  Assuming folks are interested in trying to get people to enter their data this should work.  

Right, so, trying to grab existing data from a thread would be a long and painful ordeal.  However, if people would be willing to fill out a spreadsheet, then we have some standardized data that I can clean up and analyze without too much pain.  The results can then be put into a thread and since the document is public anybody can take a look at any time they want to and use excel or free version (e.g. openoffice) to play with the data.  

This could be cool, if anyone participates.

Josh

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
I entered some data but see 2 problems. First, you have to have excel to open the link and second you can't save the file online, only a local copy.

Greg
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Awesome Josh.  Got your PM too.

So- I am pretty lame at this stuff.  I did put my info in.  But how do you "save" it so others then can view it.  ??

Couple more columns:  Total arrow wt.  Primary hunting use/animal.  

Great idea if it works.  

Dan

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:29:00 AM »
Found a solution...see link above or below.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
Still does not save my info??

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 01:19:00 AM »
Ok, here is a google site that should be easy for everyone to access.  The data is saved automatically in a spreadsheet that is locked and no software is required of any user.  

Again, if you really need something added to the form let me know, but I doubt we will reach a consensus on this first time around.  Let's get some data first and put it together before we get too picky about what is going to be collected.  We  will have to make changes in the near future when what we want is confronted by the information we have.

Josh

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:35:00 AM »
done wouldnt let me click on the selection buttons for ex number fletching but I wrote in 4
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
Fixed it...

Thanks for testing Converml!

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
yea thats what I did . worked well the second time
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Huh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 01:46:00 AM »
Fixed issues, my comment no longer relevant...

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »
having problem now. The only field it will let me edit is the question field if i click on the place to answer it takesme to the form but when I go to enter it flips me back to the first form for editing questions
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:00 AM »
ok trying again
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
That time it went well.