3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Traditional Archery  (Read 420 times)

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Traditional Archery
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
I don't understand the term "TRADITIONAL ARCHERY" I have been shooting for about 50yrs. and when the compounds came out and got popular , I was ridiculed for shooting a "STICK BOW" . Now people are amazed to find out that you shoot a Long Bow or a Recurve .
 I had another "BOW HUNTER" that I came across in the woods with his HI TECH EVERYTHING see my little K Mag and asked me " Can you actually kill a deer with that thing ? " He wasn't joking and I couldn't believe he said that . Well I am not wanting to step on any toes but how about we call it "REAL ARCHERY" instead of TRADITIONAL ? I know that wont happen but I wonder if there is anybody else that feels the same way that I do .

Offline pruiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Traditional Archery
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
I like it
May you have interesting times
paul

66" Dywer original  long bow 55pds@28"
66" J.D. Berry Vipor  longbow  71pds@28"
60" JD Berry Renassaince, longbow 50pds @27"

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
I think using the phrase "Real Archery" would imply a sense of elitism, something that I have yet to encounter when meeting any fellow trad shooters who on the contrary have been the most welcoming bunch I've seen.  
The realization that not everyone is cut out for the self discipline necessary to hunt with a stick bow has allowed me the luxury of shrugging off comments from non trad guys.  
I caution that fine line of pride which would ultimately lead to division, something the hunting community can't afford.  
In my opinion the better course is representing this passion of ours through example and in turn providing the public at large an alternative to the "hunting" mainstream media is displaying.  A stellar example of this is the DVD Primal Dreams.  
In short I don't necessarily disagree with your post, just caution the interpretation of it.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
Bruin..not gonna lie or mince words, I feel the same way exactly.  I started with a recurve in my tweens and teens, put the bow down for many years and last year took up the bow again with a wheelie and very shortly after one day I was traipsing through the woods and just blurted out "this is bull$&@/!!" I bought a Samick Sage, put the wheelie down for good and have never looked back.  I now own a plethora of trad bows of all types and love it like crazy.  I go out in the woods now and feel totally confident I can get the job done at the normal ranges you find in Florida scrub.  Why the heck did I need a "bow" that could take 60 yd shots?!  It was a slow shooting gun with strings attached IMHO.  If I want that I got a Marlin.  Yeah it's called 'trad' cause its old school maybe but its the REAL deal for sure.  But to each his own.  I got no problem with whatever floats someone's boat.  I always respond to wheelie shooters teasing with grace and information.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
PS:  NBK made a great point!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline DeerBacon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:00 PM »
I still show respect and have fun shooting along side of compound shooters but I get that feeling every time I go to the range. Always entertaining watching all the tinkering with all the fancy do-dads while I'm flinging woodies.
" I got a new bow for my wife, It was the best trade I ever made! "

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
I am just airing a little confusion about the attitude that came about during the late 70s threw the 80s concerning those that didn't shoot the compounds . I worked part time in an archery shop at the time , would tune and set up those contraptions but just didn't enjoy them . Seemed to take the spirit out of the whole thing . I hope that I am not coning across as arrogant or prideful , just don't understand why the ridicule back then and now it is WOW you can do that .

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Bruin, I seriously didn't take your original post as being arrogant and I share your feelings on the subject.  I'm grateful for this site where at times we can vent to the choir knowing that you'll be understood.  Shoot straight.     :thumbsup:
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
How about:

"Proper Archery"

"Manly Archery"

But then, there's a lot of guys here using compound bow arrows instead of wood so I don't konw if we should get too critical.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Lol long as the finish is wood grain!!  Hahaha.  I love and use both options.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
I hear ya, next time let 'em shoot your bow. I've had nothing but good stuff happen when running into other bowhunters. Usually they say "Nice bow, man, but I couldn't shoot that!" To which I reply, "Yeah you can, here ya go..."

Made a couple elk huntin' buds like that...

Here we are on a stumpin'/scoutin' trip. Got 'em both hunting turkeys with me that year.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Rifle River Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Ya, go Stumpkiller

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Cant call it Manly cause my wife would shoot me with her Bear Cub !

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:00 AM »
I too have had people ask if my bow can really kill a deer or whatever.......I try and explain how stick bows were around LONG before the "machines" that they shoot......some will listen ,some won't........it is funny though...in most of the Bowhunter ED. classes that I teach, most "traditional" shooters out shoot the "modern" guys on the practical shooting course...go figure ??????  :dunno:
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
I rarely use the words "Traditional Archery". I hunt and shoot for myself, not so that others might recognize me or my "skill". I have friends who use compounds, and they are no less hunters or woodsman than I am.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »
Being fairly new to archery hunting, my experience with the compound was not good. Too many gizmos and I did not shoot it well. After that I went to a crossbow which is legal for hunting in PA. Very accurate and lethal, but just plain boring. I still use it occasionally, but went to traditional bows a year ago and am having a blast. It takes alot of dedication, and many simply go compound because the compound is perceived to be more accurate. However, I have found that a traditional bow forces you to have good form and flawless execution, 2 things that you don't necessarily learn by shooting a compound.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I have way too much respect for the hardcore hunters out there, who choose to shoot a wheeled wonder toy, to say that I hunt the "real" way or the "right" way. There are a lot of guys who can out hunt me any day of the week using training wheels. To them it isn't a crutch and they probably practice more than I do.

Guess I'm just tipping my hat to anyone who hunts hard and is respectful to the sport, traditional or not.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 10:10:00 AM »
Who cares what you call it, shoot what you like, and have fun doing it, and don't worry about what others think about it.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Well said TtD.  I know guys who hunt with selfbows they made themselves, using arrows made from cane or other natural materials, and flint points.  Guys who hunt with muzzleloaders they made themselves.  Guys who use nothing but dogs and big knives to kill pigs.

I know folks that use wheels to hunt with who are some of the best and most dedicated hunters I've ever met.

Using the term "traditional" is just convenient to me.  Folks know what you are talking about--it defines the type bow you are using--that's all.  You define whether or not you are a "real hunter".

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
The word Traditional is overused a lot and I am guilty of it myself.  But let us also consider that the crossbow is a very old weapon and there have been many "heated" debates on whether or not users of crossbows should be considered archers.  

Bruinbow, I totally agree with you that the use of a longbow, recurve and stickbow does warrant proper respect and attention by the hunting community and governing agencies.

Personally speaking, I would love to see the state game departments allow users of primitive archery a special season much like some states do for primitive firearms.  But defining what is considered primitive or traditional could take years and years of debate.  Again, look at the crossbow for example.  Could it be as simple as not allowing the use of sights, modern broadheads and the weapon must be made entirely of wood and string? Where does one stop? What is the defining element of modern?

One of the benifits of being human is that we tend to constantly evolve and improve.  Modern stickbows with the use of fiberglass, modern adhesives and improved string materials are a far cry from the bows used by the native Americans and their predecessors.  This is only the bow now and the evolution of the arrow, well that's a very long discussion too.

Here is my last point and then I will step down from the "soap box".  The pursuit and hunting of game is a privilege that we currently all share. Division amongst hunters can and will likely lead to the restraint and possible loss of this time honored tradition and priviledge.  We must all be careful not to offend others that share our passion to pursue game and instead welcome and encourage other similar minded folks that will allow further strength in numbers and defense of our love of this sport.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©