3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where can I find Cordovan?  (Read 256 times)

Offline digicon

• Trad Bowhunter
Where can I find Cordovan?
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
I would like to find a piece of cardovan leather like is used to reinforce finger stalls on gloves.

I usually end up making my own gloves and would really like to find some of the almost "hard" cordovan leather that is used on some of my favorite gloves.

Can you buy a piece of this say 12" * 12"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where can I find Cordovan?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
Try Brettun's Village leather. They will help you find a small piece. Check out their "scraps" page and their "I only need one piece of leather" page:

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/scrap/scraps.htm
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
I just contacted Brettun's Village last week.  They are out of cordovan and don't know exactly when they will get more in.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 01:53:00 AM »
Odds of finding a 12 X 12 inch piece are about nil.  It doesn't come that way.  It's from the flank of a horse and there is only about 3 to 6 inches of usable thickness in the pieces I've seen before it starts to taper down to thinner that you'd want in a glove or a tab.  On the thick edge, you can see the outline of the horses rump if you have a whole piece.  As it goes forward, it taperes down to tissue thin.  The thin stuff makes a nice skived handle wrap though.

There was a post on here a month or two ago and I believe there is only one tannery or supplier in the whole U.S. who carries it anymore.  I think they even said the foreign companies are not making it any more.  I think the company might have been in Wisconsin or Michigan if I recall correctly.  Do a search here and you should come up with something.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 02:02:00 AM »
Just did the search for ya.

Here is the link.   http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=045912

Starts out somebody asking about some horse hide and gets into more detail about cordovan and the one company making it as it goes.

Turns out it's in Chicago so I missed on my guess above....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 02:27:00 AM »
Warning....It's exspensive.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 03:16:00 AM »
Horween Tannery in Chicago makes it.
I get it from the european general importer here in Germany. I usually take 2nd choice, because an occassional scratch doesn`t hurt me for achery purposes.You can only buy complete shells. I get them for 50 percent of normal price and pay 40 Euros, about 55 bucks. It is not cheap, but worth it.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
You can get all you want at Tandy.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Tandy has cordovan colored leather. I don't see any cordovan leather there.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
I've been told by a local manager that Tandy doesn't sell cordovan. Seigel in California usually has it, but it won't be cheap. It's made in Chicago by Horween, but you can forget that. I was told that their waiting list was almost a year, and that's for their current dealers.

I have some black cordovan that I could make available in small amounts. I'lm not anxious to sell, but I know how it is to need something.

Mike, if you still need some (and can use black)  let me know. Maybe we can do a trade.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©