3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: short longbow recommendations?  (Read 445 times)

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
short longbow recommendations?
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
I think I've decided that my next bow will be a short longbow. Something comparable to my K-mag in both length and grip size & style. Can y'all help me out with suggested makes & models?

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: short longbow recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:21:00 AM »
I don't know of any as short as a K-mag but you might want to check out the Hill Country Bows bobcat model. It's a short 3 piece longbow that is just a joy to shoot and is one pretty bow. See the Hope and Faith bows thread.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
I hate to admit that I don't know what a K-mag is but for short longbows I love the Shrews and Griffins.
Romans 8:28

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:19:00 AM »
Google Stone Point Archery.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
What is your draw length?

Java Man builds them from 52-56"

Eric

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
I've been told that my draw SHOULD be 28" but after having someone mark the arrow at the front of my bow the other day, I found that I've only been drawing around 26-26 1/2!? Not sure what's up with that & will be checking for form & other possible issues.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
Dont go buy what someone thinks you should draw, If your form is good and its working for you then that is the preferred draw length.

Alot of people dont consistently draw what they think they do.

Eric

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
I looked for a short longbow last year.  Ended up with a 56" BigJim Thunderchild.  Couldn't be happier.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Love my short Centaurs and the Morrison I just got is nails too.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Get your form right first. Big difference between 26 1/2" and 28" when working with short bows particularly short hybrid LB’s. I can’t stand to shoot a hybrid as short as I can a recurve. I need at least 2” more limb length for my fingers.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Centaur for one that is neck and neck with recurves as far as performance goes , but is quieter than any curve.   Or a big jim thunderchild.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
If you draw 26.5" or less contact Maddog. I draw 26" and he has made me short longbows from 50" up to 54". His are designed w/ the short draw shooter in mind. His brace height is kept low(about 6") so you don't lose any power stroke. Most hybrid bows that short have a brace of 7-8", so you lose a couple of inches in your power stroke.
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline falconview

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
another, but hard to find short "longbow" is the fredrick longbows yeoman  they look alot like a shrew,  Fritz may have been the inovator of these short RD bows, but im not sure who first figured
this design out.   mine is  56" 57@28  very accurate very fast

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Mike no one can tell you what your draw length should be. I am 5' 6" (on a warm day) and my draw is 25-26" depending on longbow or recurve.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
Big Jim's Thunderchild, Shrews, Maddog. Just to name a few good ones.
James Kerr

Offline monsterbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Big Jim Thunderchild, Timber Ghost, Zipper, I think Bill still makes them in a 56". God bless.
John 3:16  Whosoever Will

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
I just got my first K-mag, and love it. I have had a couple of 58" longbows, and a 56".  None as short as the k-mag though.  The Big Jim Thunderchild was quick and maneuverable, but the grip was nothing like the k-mag, and I just could not get consistent with it, me not the bow.  I love the Toelke whip I have now, more of a hybrid grip.  I think you will want to look for one of the short longbows with a thicker riser if you hope to have a similar feel to the grip.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
I REALLY appreciate all of the feedback, keep it coming!  I'd like to have several options to research.
 As far as the draw length thing, I'm just surprised that I'm not pulling any farther. I'm 6' tall with a proportionate wingspan. Which is why I'll be working more on making my form more consistent and strengthening my drawing (back!) muscles.

Offline twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fattony77:
I've been told that my draw SHOULD be 28" but after having someone mark the arrow at the front of my bow the other day, I found that I've only been drawing around 26-26 1/2!? Not sure what's up with that & will be checking for form & other possible issues.
I found it very help full to take my arrows, paint on lines around the ends at 26, 27 28 and 29 inches,  i then set up a video camea (any camera that take video will do.) facing me from the side.  I put the target very close so that I could concentrate on drawing to a full but comfortable draw without worrying about target panic or aiming.  I found that my draw length which I previously thought was 27 was actually about 28.5-29 inches when I am shooting properly.  I am spending the winter shooting in the basement at close range and working on my form and back muscles as you noted.  I am 6' 1/2" and when I did the yardstick measurement  where you put the yardstick in the center of your chest and then reach out as far as you can I came up with 28.5 so I guess I am pretty close.  I have a 58" toelke whip that hits the honey spot at my draw.  Reaching close to the bottom without stacking while getting the most out of the limbs.  My video is at:
The arrows I was shooting here were just for form but they were cut to 30" so you can see I am pretty close to 29 but for most hunting situations I think it may be a tad shorter, depending on stance, etc.

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Best short R/D I've shot is the 56" Hill Country Bobcat. Worth taking a look at. No problem at my 27-1/2" draw.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©