3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why is 3 under so much louder than splits?  (Read 467 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why is 3 under so much louder than splits?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »
I go back and forth split and 3 under. Here's another conundrum I have shooting through paper with split I get a right tear too stiff spine. With 3 under I get a slight tail high tear. But overall an exceptable tear.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I've never had a bow that was as quiet when shot three under as it was if it was shot with split fingers.  Tuning helps, and the bows always shot fine and accurately, but always a bit louder three under.  

I should add that most of my bows were bought used and as far as I know none of them are tillered specifically for shooting three under.  I would assume that would help with noise.

Personally I hate a noisy bow so I still shoot split.  If I tie small thread nock points, I can actually have a bow set up so that I can go back and forth between split finger and three under.  Aside from the aiming or impact differences,  the main thing I notice is the noise and feel between three under and split.  Three under is loud and leaves plenty of vibration in the bow and limbs, split is much quieter and leaves very little vibration in the bow and limbs.  At least that's how it works for me.  I can see the accuracy potential of shooting three under, just can't stand the noise and feel of the bow.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Kirks picture show what I've seen with high speed video. It adds a lot of extra vibration. One could possibly add a lot more string silencing material on the lower string.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline sneakybow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Perhaps we should ask all of the animals that were killed by shooters using 3 under if they could tell a difference  :)
Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by sneakybow:
Perhaps we should ask all of the animals that were killed by shooters using 3 under if they could tell a difference   :)  
yip its louder but no amount of quietening can make a bow quiet enough to stop an animal reacting at Trad bow range, unless there is Zero noise, which is impossible.
Its a matter of Accuracy and Consistency for me over noise.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Mine aren't any louder. But then, I have "Nitro Express Ears".
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
What Tusker said

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
you guys crack me up....yes i agree you can kill animals with some noise, but the quieter the better for me.  But the main thing is accuracy so since i shoot better with 3 under  i will hunt with three under.  that being said i want to make as quiet as possible.  thought there may be some tricks or tips to help with this......
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by SS Snuffer:
How about two fingers under????
Is it better?
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj5/PickandGrin/Avatar%20Movie%20Screencaps/AvatarMovie001.jpg

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Bow noise isn’t just about the concern of it being stealthy for hunting or not for me.  Tuning and shooting my bow so every aspect of its function feels smooth and harmonically balanced, is my preference.

Tradtusker:  I agree with your comment above but you can have accuracy and consistency  with very little bow noise, it's not mutually exclusive.  Yes, any animal will jump the string but for the life of me, I cannot tolerate the sound of a loud trad bow.  As aside, I shoot split finger.

Kris

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
From the time I starting shooting bows (age 5 or 6), even wheelies (teenager), I shot with two fingers. Mostly split and for about a year or so I went with two under. I switched to three split last Nov. Even with my poor hearing I heard a difference. Split three is quieter than two under or three under. Two split is quieter than three under.

I went to three split to have a quieter bow AND to save wear on my fingers. Not sure if arthritis or shooting wore my middle finger down to where it was, but going to split three has drastically reduced the swelling and wear/tear. I can shoot more arrows with less or no pain now.

I shot the Faith bow (this year's) with two under shooting and harvested the velvet buck in that thread. Shooting a heavier bow is possible with two fingers, but it does take a toll, eventually.

Another reason for going split three is it just fits the Hill style bows I've come to love.

Each person's experience is unique.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I don't believe that it is.   I will whenever someone scientifically measures the decibels using both methods with a variety bows and publishes the results.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
I think Kirk's stetch makes a lot of sense.  I usually shoot split 3, but switched to split 2 for a while due to a sore ring finger and definitely noticed a decrease in noise.  More deflection in the string will cause more vibration, and vibration = noise.  Makes sense to me.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Three under has always been a little louder than two under. A little more mass in string silencers helps. Also switching from split to three under requires a re-tune, maybe just nock point but brace height and spine also depending on where your tune is on the bell curve.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by bama:
I don't believe that it is.   I will whenever someone scientifically measures the decibels using both methods with a variety bows and publishes the results.
Now THAT is funny....   :biglaugh:

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by bama:
I agree here!!! I want to see test results. I shoot 3U and split , same bow same tune. Out to 35 yds I shoot 3U, farther I go to split.  I CAN discern a difference, but louder is not really what I'm hearing but a tone difference.  Someone here has to have access to a decibel tester.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Kirk's explanation makes sense to me. I do know that the string material makes a big difference in how much noise my bows make. My two favorite Wildhorse Creek longbows, have B55 stings with woolie whispers and they are as quiet as can be shooting three under.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
I have Stalker longbow tillered for 3 under and it is quieter than any bow I`ve shot.Other than hill bows.RC

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
I agree here!!! I want to see test results. I shoot 3U and split , same bow same tune. Out to 35 yds I shoot 3U, farther I go to split. I CAN discern a difference, but louder is not really what I'm hearing but a tone difference. Someone here has to have access to a decibel tester.  
I hear tone difference too. But it's not the sound of the bow. I notice when the arrow hits the target in the 3 ring it makes a "wack" kind of sound. But when the arrow hits the dot it's almost silent. Sounds crazy, I know. But I'm kinda known to be a little odd so I guess it goes with the territory.
"Just passing through"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©