3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Hunting Nor California  (Read 197 times)

Offline kunsangsean

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Hunting Nor California
« on: March 01, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Anybody hunting hogs in northern california? I am in Siskiyou county, so I have close access to Shasta and Tehama county where I know there's lots of hogs. However, I've only found private ranches that are asking around 300 dollars/day to hunt.

Give me a holler if you have any good locations you'd like to divulge or care to have a hunting buddy in nor cal and I'll join ya.

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Hunting Nor California
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm currently in Sonoma county and am moving North to Mendocino. I'm a relative newbie (3 years in archery and 2.5 in trad bowhunting). So far I have gotten one boar, and spent lots of time looking for more.

Mostly hunting Lake Sonoma since it is the only public land around here. I've been trying to figure out some other spots but no real leads so far. I hope to find some good options in Mendocino when I move.

I would LOVE to do some hunting further north in Cali. THis year I really want to go after blacktail in addition to pigs and turkey.

Maybe we can trade hunts?

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:26:00 PM »
Trinity co there is public. Land adjacint to the big ranches. A lot of. Walking better with a dog and a couple friends to pack it out. Hogs wander.
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
I have looked for productive public land a fair bit up and down, no honey holes so far!

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Hey Farmer,
I'm in Sonoma County. Moved here from Mendocino. I lived in Little River. Great country for Deer, Bear, and Cats. Not so good for pigs. Your best bet would be inland up towards Willits or Comptchi.Another area with lots of BLM land is towards Covelo
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Good info guys.

Petaluma Pete, your observations match what I was starting to deduce. I guess Sonoma County is probably better for Pigs than Mendo...Out of curiosity why do you think that is?

I'm gonna be moving out of Sonoma county but most of my friends live here and my current hunting partner does also. So, I expect to continue hunting down here. Lake Sonoma, despite the crowds and pressure, is my best and easiest option for pigs right now. I'm trying to really get to know that area as best I can to increase my odds.

Who else is hunting hogs in the Northern reaches of the state? What are your observations?
Some of those backwoods places on public lands would make me nervous sneaking around in camo...Lookout for covert gardens.

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
The gardens are a real problem in Mendo. The darn cartels put guys out in the sticks with orders to shoot.

I'm not sure why no pigs on the coast up there. It must be the forage is poor in the Redwood belt.
Further inland the forage is better once you hit Oaks and Manzaneta
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
kunsangsean,  PM in progress
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
I live in Tehama county, can find pig sign not to far from my house, but its all private. found some sign on the B,L.M. land near here, But not much. also found some sign near black butte lake, but never have seen the critters.
delivered by grace

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I have looked for productive public land a fair bit up and down, no honey holes so far!
+ 2
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Big indian res east of covelo .it is leased by wilderness unlimeted hunting club.my hunting partner has been on the ranch and sez they are there. Plus reverse camber roads and canyons with wrecked cars at the bottom. And justly really rough country. What im getting at is there is public land near there.also fort seward ranch between the north and south fork of the eel river 35000 acres there is an acess rd rt thru the middle they are more russian boar feral cross. I lived in the area in the 80s.and I hunted racoons with my neigbors they had some dogs and permissian tl hunt the ranch.yes much of publican land is taken by pot farmers. From ft seward and for miles upriver big ranches border the. Eel river and I think most hold hogs.cowboys dont like pigs they tear up the ground .the stewart ranch is where tj conrads tbh maghunts.I hunted it yearsago. Got. A hog I did some roofing for the Stewart's.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©