3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A really quiet recurve?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Shane H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A really quiet recurve?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Ive had a bunch of recurves, first time I shot a stalker static I ordered one. Only recurve Ive shot that only thumps like a longbow, narrow limbs and grip give it a longbow feel.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
Another RER Arroyo owner and it's one of my quietest bows I've ever owned..I make my own string puffs and use 12 wraps around the clothshanger method which will give me a 24 strands when complete nice round puff that I trim to make a 11/2" tight round ball that I do a certain way that I'll need to explain some other time...I don't care about a few feet per second loss cause this bow is still pretty darn quick but more importantly quiet..I know it's a static and has very minimal to hardly No string on limb contact but I still wrap the loops with wool yarn..I also do two tie on nocks and adjust as needed and keep the brace just around 73/4"...Arroyo's are definitly one of the quiest bows out there and I know if I use b-50 I could even quiet it a bit more ...I shoot split finger..
 My Hoots recurve is just as quiet cause it's set up the same way as my Arroyo and to tell ya how quiet it is I was hunting the ground this past season and had a 7 point buck that I missed at an easy 12 yards and the buck took off and stopped then came right back to check out the arrow that was sticking in the ground with no attention to me but this time I got both lungs..I was at the end of a tree and inside the root ball that looked like an unbrella and I was tucked inside there but not a lot of frontal cover... I was just amazed on how quiet my recurves are with the puff and wool wrap on the loops method...I do this to all my bows to be honest and also do the double tie on adjustable nock method...  :archer:

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
Toelke lynx, Toelke Chinook or Asseinheimer.  Sbd strings and yarn wrapping the ends helps too.

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
I ran a chainsaw for 37 years...they all seem pretty quiet to me!     :readit:     :thumbsup:
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline 187BOWHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
My selfbow is pretty quiet, didn't have to do much at all, just has some badger string silencers

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Zipper SXT, best fast performing quiet recurve.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline momo-t

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
I stumbled upon one of the quietest recurves.
I bought a Great Northern Ghost to accompany my Bushbow and to my surprise man did this thing smoke an arrow and was  quiet as a mouse.
I must admit I do shoot a 650 grain arrow and wrap the string ends with wool but it sounds almost as quiet as a longbow. It,s even a tad quieter than my Jack Kemph Static limbed Kwyk-Styk. And that too is a quiet recurve.

Mo
Hill Big Five
2 Bear Longbows,  Montana/ Bruin

Cari-bow Silverfox longbow
The harder I work
The luckier I get

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
All of my silvertips ! absolutely Quiet and I shoot 3 under.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
The only recurve I ever owned that I could not get quiet was a Black Widow. I have owned all of the highend recurves out there with the exception of maybe one or two. Bow hush and hushpuppies does the trick on all of them, also the string material, I use SBD strings on all of my ff bows and LRUS B55 on my non ff bows. I shoot Schafer Silvertips and Brackenbury Quests almost exclusively now and they are all whisper quiet. bowhush wraps on the ends and hush puppies at the 1/4ths on the string. I do shoot split finger though.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Kota  Kill-Um shoots even more quite than my Kanati
same arrow and set-up.
I would not have believed that if I hadn't shot them back to back. Really sweet recurve.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
I can get my recurves very quiet, are they as quiet as the quietest longbow?  That I don't know.  I've had plenty of longbows over the years and didn't notice a lot of difference in the noise level between the longbows I've had and the recurves.

The key with a recurve is to tame the string slap agains the limb.  I really like yarn on the string (Bow Hush), but some put mole skin on the limbs.  As long as you have something soft where the string touches the limb after the shot (the contact point is longer than you might think) you should be able to make your recurve nice and quiet.

Fur or wool on the string for silencers, proper tuning, heavy arrows, all aid in toning down the noise of the bow.  Three under shooting presents a particular challenge and I have never been able to get a bow as quiet shooting three under as I can shooting split.

I will say the quietest bow I think I've had was a 64" Griffin hybrid longbow.  It was uncanny, but once it was tuned it was very close to silent.  I can get my Blacktails, Silvertip, Dye, and Robertson recurves plenty quiet, but that old Griffin was in a league of it's own.  

Stupidly I sold it...    :banghead:

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
My Sley recurve with Bow Hush on limbs and string is by far the quietest recurve I have ever had, followed closely by a couple of Rivers Edge Recurves I've owned.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I was in you same boat. I wouldn't shoot a recurve after shooting a d longbow for a dozen years. I got a Stalker static top recurve last fall. By far the quietest recurve I've ever shot and not heard. At trad league I constintley get guys saying how quiet my bow is!! If it wasn't I wouldn't shoot it. Give South a call he has a test drive program and you can see how quiet it is  :)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Just shooting my Robertson Fatal Styk in my basement and it is quiet with partial catwhiskers
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
Asseinheimer, without a doubt. you don't have to load up the limbs or string with all kinds of junk.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
I shoot Martin bows with string groove pads on the limbs with cat whiskers with very quiet results.I like the look of fur silencers,but have never thought they silence as well.I shoot pretty heavy arrows as well.Good Luck.I found this thread interesting as I have been having trouble getting my new to me longbow,as quiet as my recurves.Back to the drawing board.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
I have never shot  an RER but looking at and knowing bow design I would say that it would heads up be way above all working recurves and most statics for quietness;
That said the quietest I have ever shot is my origonal Talon; It is as quiet as most of my longbows I own by any maker and can easily be hunted with no string silencers;
The abrupt tightness of the static recurve completely eliminates string slap; there just does not seem to be any;
Sasquatch's new static and my new static will be in that class. Both can be seen in the thread which kind of is the coming out or exposure of Kirks static. Mine is the one with the sharp ends on the riser and Kirks is the good looking one next to it. LOL
I sent mine up there to have it tested. I know for a fact that the Storm Eagle is super quiet and from design tha that Kirks is just a quiet or even quieter.
All that said , Statics which have a curve instead of a lever tip are super quiet. The sharper the curve the quieter they are.

God bless, Steve

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
It does not take much to get most any recurve quiet. Some wool silencerson the rights spots on the string, sometimes some velcro in limb grooves and a lot of guys forget that a slight change in braceheight sometimes makes a huge difference. My RER bows are some of the quietest I have shot and my Border limbs are very quiet as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
x2 on Zipper SXT with carbon/foam.  All it has are wool silencers and very quiet.  Everybody that has shot it remarks that it is quiet, so it isn't just me.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
RER XR and RER Arroyo...both extremely quiet recurves, and easy to get that way.
I use one set of small cat whiskers, or a pair of Two Tracks scallops and I am in business!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©