3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone prefer a lighter mass longbow??  (Read 454 times)

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone prefer a lighter mass longbow??
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Iam back and forth between my beloved Dwyer original and a 3 piece takedown longbow?  I can shoot both about equal. Wondering if anyone actually prefer a lighter mass bow. I have a ligjt quiver on both. Thanks.  Bill

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone prefer a lighter mass longbow??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Nope- I really like a little mass in the riser to help with my lousy form.  My Leon Stewart TD's are perfect in this regard

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
I'm with you Bullfrog.  My favorite bows are 1 pc longbows that are light in weight and no bow quiver.  
My Big Jim Thunderchild, MOABs, Toelke Whip, and Northern Mist Classic are perfect in that sense.
Traveling can definitely be a pain with 1 pc bows though.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Yeah, mainly the ones I intend to hang a bow quiver on, to give them more mass, without being too heavy.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
I prefer a lighter riser takedown longbow, or a one piece.  My Pronghorn fits the bill for a takedown.

I find that with a heavy riser takedown longbow I can tend to drop my bow arm if not careful.

No bow quiver.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
My 1pc 64" Abbott is but a wisp as it floats by my side through the woods. My arrows are on my back, as they should be with such a weapon.

My takedown recurve with bow quiver and 5 arrows feels like I'm lugging my wife's suitcase.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:

My takedown recurve with bow quiver and 5 arrows feels like I'm lugging my wife's suitcase.
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:  

That's about right!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
I just received my hybrid long bow from Don Dow and can absolutely say I prefer the weight of it over my hoyt buffalo.  I hunt public land and walk in quite a ways, so having much less weight on me is a benefit, especially if I end up packing out an animal.
>>>--------->

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Love a light bow.  Guess I am showing my age.  lol
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »
I like some heft in my recurves but prefer the lighter weight in my longbow. Feels like I'm not carrying anything when sneaking through the woods.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
For hunting I love a super light weight bow. Like a feather. As said the arrows go at my side or on my back. they do not need to impeed the speed of my bow or my ability to get her into action. I am going to build one such bow for moi; It will be with a Zebrawood or Maple and walnut laminated riser and super light eastern hard maple cored carbon limbs; It will be light and lightening and I may just name her that.
It will be so light I will occasionaly have to check to see if it is still in my hand.

God bless you all.Steve  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
I like 2 and 3 piece LB bows, that said, I also like light LB but find that I must remember to keep the bow arm out there like a steel piston.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I like my longbows light with no quiver.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I used to use a quiver on my longbow, but I prefer the lighter mass weight without the quiver.  When hunting I'll probably go back to the quiver for convenience, but when shooting alot of targets the extra weight kind of tires out the bow arm.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
The lighter, the better. Love my Whips.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »
My Super D will forever be by my side.  The yew veneers have begun to darken and life's to short to carry a heavy and ugly bow!

All joking aside I believe it's harder to shoot a lighter bow, but it's so worth the challenge!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Just got as Whip, it could be called a whisp because it weighs as much as whisp of fog.  I am loving it.  I tried my EFA quiver on it yesterday, as I like a bow quiver.  The weight of the three arrow and quiver seemed to more than double the weight of the bow.  I am now searching for a back quiver idea I will be happy with in hunting situations.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
I hate heavy bows for the most part, although Hate is a strong word, I am a sissy and cannot carry them far without resting lol.

I do shoot some of the heavier mass bows well, they are just not what I like to carry while hunting.  a 3d course or something would be different though.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I thought I was the only one. I love a lightweight longbow.My favorite right now is a cherry riser with a curley maple accent and cherry limbs with a maple core. Weighs just over a pound and carrys like a feather!!   Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline donw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
i find a balance between proper "Mass" and weight in relation to arrow weight comes in to play.

too light of an arrow shot from too light of a bow can generate too much vibration/noise/hand-shock

my longbow quiver is a three arrow and i occasionally use a 1 arrow quiver...these bow quivers i carry broadheads only...that's not perceptible weight. i shoot 400 grain carbons...three arrows=less than three ozs.
i was told by a sales person, when purchasing an out-of-date newpaper that it was out-of-date...

i told her "i've been told i'm out-of-date, too"...

does that mean i'm up-to-date?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©